Photo Editing Software recommendations

D

Deleted member 96197

The comments here are great, but they keep edging away from the basics.
Being able to "see" the photo is all fine and good, but if you are talking about the "green button" or auto setting on the camera, then what you first need to know is how the camera actually functions in order to improve the quality of your photos. This is where the basic photography class comes in, before you worry about shooting in RAW, you should be able to capture a well exposed and properly focused photo that is immedately baked in to a jpg in the camera. This is why pros can pick up an iphone or point and shoot, and still get a quality photo. Of course the potential results will be better with a better camera, but a poorly exposed and improperly focused photo can be taken with any camrea.
Henri Cartier Bresson said your first 10,000 photos will be your worst. This was in the days of film where every photo had to be intentional, there was no green button in 1950. Now I still agree, your first 10,000 "intentional" photos are where most your learning will take place. When I say intentional, an intentional photo is when you have a reason for each setting on the camera, as well as your placement in relation to the subject and the framing of the photo, anything short of that could get a good photo, but it will be by luck, which doesn't help you learn. With that in mind:
The first task for your software should not be photo editing, as referenced above, the first task should be sorting and organizing. If you start editing too much too early without learning the physics, your photos might look better quicker, but your ability will quickly be limited to what the software can help you do, rather than what could be potentially captured in the photo.
I'm not trying to knock any of the advice given here, but it's easy to forget what it takes to really get started, and the advice you were given about getting out of the auto settings is the right place to start. While you're picking a class, or to prepare for it, or potentially even skip it, this book is where I have started my students in the past (https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Part-2nd/dp/0321934946). It truly breaks down the basics. While you're doing this, look at as many photos as possible.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
SNARK! I will confess to having at least three Scott Kelby books on my shelf! Not that bad, once you get past his terrible humor.

First 10,000? Spit! I started taking pictures in about 1956 and I still capture more dross than gold.

For me, training the eye is hard, mastering the mechanics is easy. Once you know where you are going, all of the rest collapses into place. Some learn better in a class, some from a book, some from a video. The important thing is to find the route that works for you, and that may require trying several.

I think most would agree that the best software and the best camera will not make you a better
photographer. Similarly, I have taken a lot of outstanding images with the camera squarely on the green button. The point of learning what happens underneath is so that you know when to take it off the automagic position.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all the suggestions I do appreciate every ones input. Book ordered
Im off to do a 166 mile off road trail with some hopefully incredible scenery for several days. I have my Land Cruiser load, camera gear, a big SD card, and 3 batteries. I will take the time to frame my shot 3 different ways and keep a close eye on proper exposure. Ill post some pics when I return for ever ones amusement.

Cent

Observer
What really matters to become a better photographer are two things, in my opinion:

1. Understanding your camera: Which setting changes what in the final picture and why would I change what (most importantly, aperture, shutter speed and maybe ISO). Try to REALLY understand them.

2. Software: One more vote for Lightroom. The sliders make it easy to see what changes when you change certain things which means you can play around without really knowing what you do, but learn it in the process. You can change to photoshop later on, once you got the basics right.

Forget expensive gear right now, but the investment in Lightroom is worth it.

JackMCollins

Everybody who has posted about understanding or gaining skills with your camera is right.

It makes a vast difference to any photograph even if you are only changing the minuscule of settings, learn to connect buttons which can be set by you for the menus to change like 'white balance' or 'iso settings' saves a lot of time fiddling with the menus.

Another vote for lightroom as software, would try and get one of the non creative cloud models as means you can edit away from internet but they are slightly hard to find now. But super simple to work with and all menus are easy to navigate. Also every function developing(editing) is all on the top of the screen just select your photo/s and then edit away.

texascrane

Adventurer
Another vote for lightroom as software, would try and get one of the non creative cloud models as means you can edit away from internet but they are slightly hard to find now.

That's not how creative cloud works. The software runs "offline". "Creative Cloud" just a subscription model. So instead of buying the software, which would have run you about $800-900 for Photoshop and Lightroom under the old model, you can now get them both for $10 per month and you always have the latest updates/improvements. The software is still downloaded locally to your computer and runs just the same as before. It just does a subscription check once per month or so. It's a better deal for photographers than the old model, IMO.

JackMCollins

Hi Texascrane, I didn't know that as I haven't got funds to go for creative cloud so am running lightroom 5.7.1 which I got as a student for £80 just had to provide a student ID card.
I don't see the point in upgrading from mine due to having all I need editing wise and is just the same minus a few tools.

But I have had a few problems with my creative cloud system such as not performing updates right with using the trial software's as well as adobes free services. But that is just me being fussy for something that is universally used the world over as the go to system for a lot of editing tools. It just doesn't fit my system at the current time and probably never will.

But thanks for providing me with a little more info on how it actually works.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
My opinion....just say NO to editing. Promote realism. Promote and show the truth.
Straight out of camera JPG images are edited too. The camera applies a set rule of edits to the RAW data depending on your settings (Normal, Vivid, Natural, Sepia, Black & White, etc). Unfortunately the complex variation of light doesn't often follow those set rules the camera processor uses so you can get more accurate images by doing it yourself to more accurately reflect what you saw.

Digital sensors don't work like human eyes, oddly enough the RAW image needs to be edited to look realistic and show the truth.

robgendreau

Explorer
Straight out of camera JPG images are edited too. The camera applies a set rule of edits to the RAW data depending on your settings (Normal, Vivid, Natural, Sepia, Black & White, etc). Unfortunately the complex variation of light doesn't often follow those set rules the camera processor uses so you can get more accurate images by doing it yourself to more accurately reflect what you saw.

Digital sensors don't work like human eyes, oddly enough the RAW image needs to be edited to look realistic and show the truth.

Assuming ANY photo catches the Truth. That's a long discussion.

But for the OP, you mentioned AZ Highways. They run killer photo courses: https://www.ahpw.org I'd suggest taking one and getting maybe some hands on experience. I encountered some folks on one the trips and they were having a ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior