Photo Editing Software recommendations

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Newbie here I have a bag of gear and the more I talk and read words like RAW and photo software keep popping up. First Im looking into talking a basic photography class to get a solid overview of the mechanics.

Is there such thing as beginner photo software? Im not a super computer guy and dont want to be consumed with the frustration of trying to navigate around advance stuff that Im years away from needing. Are there must have app that I should consider starting with? I have come to realize until I get away from the green button on my camera and get out program modes the quality pictures are going to be limited.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
In Windows I use a freebie Photoshop clone called "Paint.NET", which is so much like Photoshop that it's a wonder that the damn thing is even legal.

In Linux I use a Paint.NET clone called "Pinta'.

On a Mac...dunno. I hate Apple and won't touch their stuff unless I'm getting paid to fix it, which I try hard to avoid. :)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
And...

Learn to live and love layers.

Doing edits in layers makes it so much easier to change something you tried that didn't come out quite like you thought it would.

D

Deleted member 96197

Before you spent any more money, you are absolutely on the right path with a basic photography class, I'm not sure which OS you are using, and i can't speak to the software recommended above, but for a beginner on a mac the included photos app is just fine to get you rolling.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
On the Apple side ...

As a serious Apple Freaque, I am furious that Apple killed off Aperture, their superb, pro level software.

But, for a beginner, their Photos application is excellent. Easy to use, but much deeper than it appears at first. (Many of the tools are hidden.) If you go with Photos, which is part of the Apple OS, spend the $10 for the extension, DXO for Photos - absolutely superb. http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/dxo-academy/product-how-to's/introducing-dxo-opticspro-os-x-photos

Can't help you on the Windows side, but you are making a good decision by taking a course and I am sure that the instructor will have some suggestions.

You can critique my work here: http://www.pbase.com/diplostrat and here: https://diplostrat.org

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Ignore Basil, he's like a super pro, with amazing photos and deft touch with the software. His skill level makes everything look easy, it's deceptive! The good thing about Lightroom is that there are a gazillion tutorials on it. Hmmm.... wonder why? Could it be because it's a complex misogny of an interface?

If you are on a Mac, it's hard to go wrong with Pixelmator for the price and power:
http://www.pixelmator.com/mac/

[video=vimeo;146646835]https://vimeo.com/146646835[/video]

D

Deleted member 96197

Lightroom is great, I use CC now, but I've been with it since LR3, but for someone new to photography the smart money is on spending no money, less time editing and more time shooting, which is why i recommended using whats available and pursuing an education, he mentioned a class which i think is a great way to go, but there is no shortage of good books on the subject as well. IMHO one of the biggest mistakes new photographers make is too much time on the computer, not enough time behind the lens, I'm all for digital art, but digital art is not photography.

another vote for Lightroom. Not only does it allow you to edit (maybe develop is a better term) but the file management system and capabilities really make it a useful tool. Also being non-destructive, you can make multiple versions o fthesame shot and can always go back to square one.

Take a look at Photoshop Elements. It's not expensive, and there are a number of tutorials available to help you. The class you mentioned is a great first step.

Although I have and use Lightroom, I really don't like it. Almost everything I do is ultimately edited in Photoshop. For me, Lightroom is simply a tool to load photos, do a bit of basic editing and organizing, then pass it on to Photoshop.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Depends on the Class

Wow again lots of options.
In a basic classroom setting will the instructor have newbies working with editing software?

And it depends on what you want to do and the focus of the class you choose. The initial question was something for a beginner.

If you want to do photo editing/graphics design, then Photoshop is the big dog, Elements a good compromise, DXO is very powerful, and there are a few other packages as well.

If you want to do classic photography, then organization is the key. Lightroom is the big dog (I use it and loathe it.) Capture One comes in behind, and Photos is a good starter system for a beginner.

Some hard core still like to combine a super browser, like Photo Mechanic, with pixel editor like Photoshop, but by the time you are ready to make this kind of decisions, you won't have to ask this question on an overland forum.

For my $0.02, it is more important to get your organization set up first, but scholars differ.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
And it depends on what you want to do and the focus of the class you choose. The initial question was something for a beginner.

If you want to do photo editing/graphics design, then Photoshop is the big dog, Elements a good compromise, DXO is very powerful, and there are a few other packages as well.

If you want to do classic photography, then organization is the key. Lightroom is the big dog (I use it and loathe it.) Capture One comes in behind, and Photos is a good starter system for a beginner.

Some hard core still like to combine a super browser, like Photo Mechanic, with pixel editor like Photoshop, but by the time you are ready to make this kind of decisions, you won't have to ask this question on an overland forum.

For my $0.02, it is more important to get your organization set up first, but scholars differ.

My prime picture interest would be landscape. I go to incredible places and I return all excited to share my experience and my pictures dont do my travels justice and I take 100's of pictures. I frequently get, looks like nice area with my reply you need to see it in person because my pictures suck. With same thought I see great photographs of unbelievable area's and I say wow I need to go there only to find out Ive been there.

My last trip to Alstorm Point I meet an award wining Arizona Highways photographer and teacher. I was inspired by his pictures and knowledge and he said until you get off green button program mode you pictures will not change. So here I am with a decent camera, several lens and dont know $@#%

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
My prime picture interest would be landscape. I go to incredible places and I return all excited to share my experience and my pictures dont do my travels justice and I take 100's of pictures. I frequently get, looks like nice area with my reply you need to see it in person because my pictures suck. With same thought I see great photographs of unbelievable area's and I say wow I need to go there only to find out Ive been there.

My last trip to Alstorm Point I meet an award wining Arizona Highways photographer and teacher. I was inspired by his pictures and knowledge and he said until you get off green button program mode you pictures will not change. So here I am with a decent camera, several lens and dont know $@#%

OK, couple of thoughts.

-- Your camera doesn't matter. Neither does your violin, your guitar, or your piano. The issue is your eye. My son in law shoots landscapes and is occasionally brilliant. Yes, he knows how to use his camera, but the point is that I got out with him and I don't "see" the picture. The most important task is to train your eye. You can see his work here: http://www.michaelneilodonnell.com I know pros that use their smart phones or very modest cameras.

-- Once you begin to see photographically, you do need to know how to work a camera, but this is really fairly easy to understand. Read a book or take a class or do both. But understand, learning to operate your camera is to photography like learning to shift gears is to driving.

-- Beyond that, you need to be able to catalog your images. At the very least, arrange them in folders by year, month, date.

Once you get your eye trained, so that you are happy with the images you can capture, then you can select software to make it better, either software that works at the global level, like Lightroom or Capture One, or a pixel editor like Photoshop. But none of these tools can save a bad or boring image.

Best wishes!

Edited to ADD:

-- Some basics on how a camera operates, how to change the settings, and a tiny bit of why: http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/basics/

-- These folks are tremendous Adobe shills, that said, lots of good stuff here. BONUS - They are all about landscape shooting: https://luminous-landscape.com (Perhaps a bit less useful now the they are offering subscriptions.)

Final tip: Go to your local library's blow out sale - they are probably giving away old coffee table books full of great landscapes. Most of the text will be on film techniques, but the concepts are the same.

More best wishes!

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Another vote for Lightroom. Get the CC photo package and it's $10 a month for Lightroom and Photoshop. Lightroom will cover 99% of what you need (adjust some sliders and done), and then if you have to you can send the pic to Photoshop for more complex work.

I'd also recommend shooting RAW to make the most of them but keep in mind that's the equivalent of saying "I'm going to manually edit EVERY photo I ever want to share with people." It's a ton of work even if you make a bunch of presets to slap a generic Post/Process on every pic like the camera does. But the results are AMAZING!

After that my only advice is don't go overboard with the editing. The HDR "Clown puke" images aren't as common as they used to be but I still see it on a low level everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles