MB Sprinter 4x4 Chassis

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I think I narrowed down the options for our base vehicle....
Wondering if a sprinter like this one would do the trick: http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...riant1.modelDescription=sprinter&pageNumber=1 It would offer us room to seat our kid with enough room to spare, great fuel efficiency, lets us travel at highway speeds and offers 4x4 to do some mild offroading.

What's your thought on an early 4x4 Sprinter? Do you know of any problems? I have searched a couple of German forums but couldn't find anything that stands out in terms of failures.

We would build our own lightweight composite camper.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
A Sprinter double cab with factory 4x4 and flatbed is a dream combination. Never imported to North America, I think.

The ad says date of manufacture is December 2001. So it's not eligible for import to USA, with our 25 year threshold. Canada has a 15 year limit on imports so if you wait until December you should be OK.

Victorian

A Sprinter double cab with factory 4x4 and flatbed is a dream combination. Never imported to North America, I think.

The ad says date of manufacture is December 2001. So it's not eligible for import to USA, with our 25 year threshold. Canada has a 15 year limit on imports so if you wait until December you should be OK.

Yep, fully aware of the import rules. Glad I'm in Canada :)

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
That is a 4 cylinder model - I would look for a 316 version with the 5 cylinder model as it would be easier to get parts for or to swap engines if needed. The 2002 and early 2003 T1N sprinters in the USA were supposedly identical to the german market sprinters as far as emissions system etc. with the 612 engine. The late 2003 on models went to a 647 engine with a unique emissions system that is USA only at the time.

Sprinters handle weight well if you upgrade the sway bars and add overload leafs to the rear springs - I've had 3200 lbs of batteries in the back of mine and it drove and braked acceptably. Hopefully you'll be able to keep the weight less than that.

Good luck!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Also - plan on replacing the stock 15 inch euro wheels for 16 inch USA wheels - we don't have much available in the 15 inch size with the necessary weight ratings - but lots of suitable choices in 16 inch tires. I've picked up used 16 inch rims for $50 each if you are patient and watch ebay and craigslist. Not much demand for the old 15 inch rims - I gave mine away... The stock steel wheels are very stout.

Victorian

That's some good info! Thank you Haf-E.

All depending on the wheelbase, I'm estimating the empty box weight of around 600kg/1200lb. The interior will be simple and functional. Probably a composting toilet, handpump for water... You get the idea... as simple and practical as possible. I have seen too many over engineered trucks that not only cost way too much, but also needed constant care.
I'm flying to Europe in November. Will see if I'm bringing home a Sprinter with me :)

Last edited:

jostein

Adventurer
Make sure to get one with the optional transfer case for Your mild offroading:) The one in the link might have it, as I think I can see the button beside the diff Lock and 4x4 button.

In addition to 5 speed manual they are delievered with two different "Automatic" options. Speedshift (manual transmission With electronic shifting) and normal 5 speed automatic as found in many other Mercedes vehicles from that era.
I would stay away from the speedshift. The other two are both fine.

The 316 version with its 2.7l 5-cylinder and 156 HP would be the first choice of engine, makes them pretty quick.

hartmanwt

Hi all, first post on the forum.

Victorian: I see you hail from across the pond. I moved to Vancouver recently from Victoria and am also considering a 4x4 Sprinter from Germany. It seems to me the best way for us Canadians to get our hands on a capable diesel 4x4 van with enough space for a buildout that won't break the bank. Have you had any luck finding a suitable candidate for import? I know the importation process is quite straight forward for JDM vehicles. Do you know if the same is true for EU vehicles?

Victorian

Yes, we bought one and should arrive in Vancouver in a month. In theory it's straight forward when you speak the German language and have a shipper that has done it before. It took us several months to find the right one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior