Old Man Emu lift and tire combos?

J

JWP58

So Im getting to the point where Im about to pull the trigger on an OME lift setup (like the kit nisstec sells), and I am wondering what size tire people have paired with an OME setup? The unfortunate part of the puzzle is my wheel size is 17. I am leaning towards 255/75/17 at this time, but I might also source some 16" steel wheels and go 235/85/16.

What diameter tire are you running? 32" or 33"?

Last edited:

kylevd23

Observer
Right now stock, I'm on a 265 75 16 (slightly under 32"), but once I do my lift (OME as well), I'll stuff a 285/75/16 (33") in there. But I also may end up keeping the stock size, that way I don't worry about speedometer, mpg, etc.

J

JWP58

I'm on full OME with a 1/2" spacer up front and 255/85 16's fit no problems.

Awesome, I was just thinking about that size. Looks like I'll be sourcing some 16" steelies.

Last edited:

travhale

Observer
What amount of lift do you gain with that kit. I have 2in up front and 1.5 in rear. I run 285/75/16 Duratracs. I have my camber/caster bolts set for maximum caster and neg camber. Even set at max, I still had to trim my mud flaps, which helped with rubbing, but I still have a little in certain situations. Also, I still have quite a bit of positive camber, and am going to have to get adjustable UCA to fix this. Moreover, I also had to trim the front lip to negate tire rubbing.

JOSX2

Observer
33's (with a 17" rim like myself, 285/70/17) are the largest tire you can fit under your X w/ a simple melt mod to the inner front fender well.

they do make 285's for 17" rims....why ya considering 255? Or even 235 w/ a 16" rim?

33's fit even with stock suspension, so w/ the OME lift, you'll gain about 1.5" anyways ;)

Patrollife

Explorer
4" OME on the Patrol with 35x12.50R15s, no issues at all; in fact, I find the OMEs on the Patrol superb! Much better than the FJ
3" OME on the FJC with 295/70/R17s, no issues at all.

JOSX2

Observer
33's (with a 17" rim like myself, 285/70/17) are the largest tire you can fit under your X w/ a simple melt mod to the inner front fender well.

they do make 285's for 17" rims....why ya considering 255? Or even 235 w/ a 16" rim?

33's fit even with stock suspension, so w/ the OME lift, you'll gain about 1.5" anyways ;)
[
*d'oh*

what kind of NIssan are your running? that'll dictate the situation ;) LOL

my replies were talking about an X. I just assumed that's what ya had outta habit on being on so many X forums/FB groups LOL

E.J.

Explorer
What amount of lift do you gain with that kit. I have 2in up front and 1.5 in rear. I run 285/75/16 Duratracs. I have my camber/caster bolts set for maximum caster and neg camber. Even set at max, I still had to trim my mud flaps, which helped with rubbing, but I still have a little in certain situations. Also, I still have quite a bit of positive camber, and am going to have to get adjustable UCA to fix this. Moreover, I also had to trim the front lip to negate tire rubbing.
2" ish not counting the lift from the bigger tires. My mudflaps are long gone and I'm running an ARB bumper. It seems like most folks running 285's remove the mudflaps and the little front lip.

travhale

Observer
2" ish not counting the lift from the bigger tires. My mudflaps are long gone and I'm running an ARB bumper. It seems like most folks running 285's remove the mudflaps and the little front lip.

A lot of people do remove the mud flaps, either because they think the truck looks better without them, or the flaps interfere with the type of wheeling they do. When properly trimmed, the flaps are no longer an issue as far as tire clearances. My front tires now rub the wheel liners on occasion. I plan on fixing this using a heat gun and doing the, "melt mod" eventually. Running the front bumper should negate any rubbing at the front of the tire, but will do nothing to help rubbing at the rear. I moved the mounting points of the front edge of the wheel liner, which gave me >.5" additional clearance. The front lip, I initially removed it entirely, but didn't like the unfinished look of it, so I cut the lower section of the lip off of all three pieces and reinstalled -- looks much better.

J

JWP58

Anyone running stock 16" steel wheels? I've found some, no center caps. Im assuming that wont be an issue. Kinda wondering if I can still run tire pressure sensors with them too.

J

JWP58

You could retain your stock wheels and run 255/80r17s. Essentially the same size without having to buy new wheels.

Yes but it seems that finding load D or E in the 17" diameter is not only difficult, it is much more expensive in comparison to 16" diameter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles