Question about camper length on 2013 Fuso FE160

smd4902

Hi All,

I've been lurking and planning my build for about 9 months now. I'm planning an expedition rig on a 2013 Fuso FE160 with a 151.6" wheelbase. Problem is, I'd really like an 18 ft box to get everything I need in there. That would be an overhang off the frame of 40". Is this doable or am I nuts?

Appreciate your input!

Regards,
Greg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hi All,

I've been lurking and planning my build for about 9 months now. I'm planning an expedition rig on a 2013 Fuso FE160 with a 151.6" wheelbase. Problem is, I'd really like an 18 ft box to get everything I need in there. That would be an overhang off the frame of 40". Is this doable or am I nuts?

Appreciate your input!

Regards,
Greg
Hey Greg - doesn't pay to look at numbers in a vacuum.

Generally we talk about approach, breakover, and departure angles for vehicles. Figure out which is the worst (cause that's where ya gonna get stuck) and work to improve it. I can't speak for your rear overhang, but for a lot of vehicles the challenge is the breakover angle.

I own and drive the heaviest and longest 4x4 Fuso camper out there. I may not be smart, but I'm stubborn.

If you run with the CG too far aft when your frame breaks it wants to roll off the back of the vehicle (causing mayhem on the way)

dlh62c

Explorer
I'm planning an expedition rig on a 2013 Fuso FE160 with a 151.6" wheelbase. Problem is, I'd really like an 18 ft box to get everything I need in there. That would be an overhang off the frame of 40".

A great source of information is the Body Builder's Guide from Mitsubishi.

The vehicle's frame will have to be extended to support the additional length of the body. Its important to get the weight distribution correct relative to the rear axle, you may have to consider rolling the rear axle back.

There's a whole industry devoted to the manufacture, service and repair of cargo bodies for these trucks. You can drop by any shop that sells and services cargo bodies and ask them if the extension can be done safely. They should be familiar with the trucking regulations for your state.

Do you already have a cargo body mounted on the truck?

Having a GVWR of 15,995lbs puts the truck into the commercial category, have you been able to source vehicle insurance?

Last edited:

smd4902

I own and drive the heaviest and longest 4x4 Fuso camper out there. I may not be smart, but I'm stubborn.

I checked out your website - I can't believe you have Hackney's fuso! I've combed through his build website for months! That's an amazing rig!

I've looked at the departure angle but haven't investigated breakover so I'll start looking at that.

smd4902

A great source of information is the Body Builder's Guide from Mitsubishi.

The vehicle's frame will have to be extended to support the additional length of the body. Its important to get the weight distribution correct relative to the rear axle, you may have to consider rolling the rear axle back.

There's a whole industry devoted to the manufacture, service and repair of cargo bodies for these trucks. You can drop by any shop that sells and services cargo bodies and ask them if the extension can be done safely. They should be familiar with the trucking regulations for your state.

Do you already have a cargo body mounted on the truck?

Having a GVWR of 15,995lbs puts the truck into the commercial category, have you been able to source vehicle insurance?

A 16ft box is pretty standard on this model. Without any addition to the subframe, an 18 ft box would give a departure angle of about 25. I think I'll take your suggestion and drop by some shops to see what their opinion is.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I checked out your website - I can't believe you have Hackney's fuso! I've combed through his build website for months! That's an amazing rig!

I've looked at the departure angle but haven't investigated breakover so I'll start looking at that.

Yeah Doug did an amazing job of documenting his build. I had done extensive research and was just getting prepared to build a rig of my own when the Hackney Fuso came back up for sale so ended up going that direction instead.

I had to do a lot of work to it (including replacing the frame), but still nothing compared to building one from scratch.

dlh62c

Explorer
Departure angle is something to think about, but so are rear bumper restrictions regarding hight and width. You'll need to do some research for your state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior