Advice On BT GPS Receivers

travhale

Observer
I'm looking for some advice for BT GPS receivers. I have an old iPad 2 (non-wifi) that gets little use, and am looking to use it with MotionX for my backcountry traveling. I don't need anything fancy, just something that works well.

I'm currently considering the Dual XGPS150A and the Garmin GLO

SnoViking

Adventurer
I've been doing similar research and keep coming back to the Dual unit. It seems to do everything it claims to do. Some people reported "issues" with the Garmin, but I can't tell if it was device or user error (I'm leaning towards user error.....)

I'm just hunting for a really good deal on a used unit to pop up to make myself feel better about the purchase; I'm still on the fence if I really need an iPad in the truck for maps and navigation. I'm not sure if I want it because it's useful or just because it looks cool..... I prefer to use Delorme Gazetteers for most of my ramblings. The adventure doesn't start until you think you may be lost....

travhale

Observer
I've been doing similar research and keep coming back to the Dual unit. It seems to do everything it claims to do. Some people reported "issues" with the Garmin, but I can't tell if it was device or user error (I'm leaning towards user error.....)

I'm just hunting for a really good deal on a used unit to pop up to make myself feel better about the purchase; I'm still on the fence if I really need an iPad in the truck for maps and navigation. I'm not sure if I want it because it's useful or just because it looks cool..... I prefer to use Delorme Gazetteers for most of my ramblings. The adventure doesn't start until you think you may be lost....

Same here, i'll snatch up a refurb if I see it. I do like that the Garmin can connect with more then one device, other than that, and battery life, it seems to be a wash.

justcozz

I run the Dual XGPS-150 with an iPad mini running MotionX for my nav solution. I don't worry about battery life in the truck, since I have charging options. Both work just fine while plugged into a dual USB cigarette lighter adapter.

This combo is awesome if you are running with a group or finding trails and exploring. The ability to lay down a track and mark waypoints, turns, and obstacles is awesome. I've got tons of time with MotionX now and have it pretty well figured out. The biggest problem most beginners have is not downloading the map set for the route in case you lose cell coverage and not knowing how to fully use the program. You can find online tutorials that show you how to declutter the maps and navigate along a route. All in all, it's one of the coolest toys for getting out into the woods and staying safe, while exploring places that you haven't been before.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm still on the fence if I really need an iPad in the truck for maps and navigation. I'm not sure if I want it because it's useful or just because it looks cool..... I prefer to use Delorme Gazetteers for most of my ramblings. The adventure doesn't start until you think you may be lost....
I held out with the same thinking but, frankly, I was wrong. Using GPS as part of your navigational outfit is very handy. I don't have a tablet yet but can see how it would be better than the small Nuvi and handhelds I do have. I don't rely solely on GPS and can't imagine I ever will, they are extensions of the map. I still use and buy Trails Illustrated maps and carry the Gazetteers. Making routes and following tracks doesn't have to ruin exploring without a destination, just different types of tools. In my view having a tablet could eliminate the need to carry the Gazetteers to some extent. It can't replace the overall view you get, the general sense of place. Same reason I wear an analog watch, the position of the hands give you a feeling of what part of the day you're in rather than necessarily the exact time.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
I've been extremely happy with my XGPS150A, ipad2 running Scenic Maps, Galileo & Gaia GPS Mapping apps.

The Dual GPS is very accurate kept track while in a 4 story parking structure at every level!

In My opinion you won't be disappointed.

Brian-N7BMH

mobob

I have used the xgps150 with an Ipad3 and IPad mini with MotionX and it's a great solution. There are times when it's nice to have two devices attached to the same GPS at the Same time. For instance, passenger trying to find a new route while driver is backtrack navigating the wrong one your on. The newer models allow multiple Bluetooth connections and could be worth the upgrade. I can easily use the Xgps150 all day on a charge and just recharge it overnight or plug it in from time to time throughout a trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles