Couple questions on 10m - license, equipment

wirenut

Adventurer
10 meters is probably not the way to go. When it's open it goes around the world. When it's not open you're hard pressed to talk across the county. 10 meters is my favorite band but it is unpredictable and often not open. Particularly when the sun spot cycle is at a minimum.
40 meters or 75 meters would work much better for fairly local communication.
However, I can't imagine being any where that you can't reach someone on 2 meters. I travel all around my part of VA and WV into places that have no cell phone coverage. I'm usually within 100 miles of my house. I can always talk to my wife back home on some repeater. You just have to know where they are and which one to use.
As for a rig, I would keep the HF and VHF/UHF radios separate. It's nice to be able to operate both at the same time. Or both VHF and UHF at the same time. If you want to use one VHF frequency for voice and another for APRS you can't do that with an HF all in one radio. Nor can you set up cross band repeat. That requires a separate dual band rig.

Jerry

Adventurer
I'm probably posting too late, but my 2 cents is, buy a used Icom IC-706MKIIG, Icom IC-7000 or a new or used Yaesu FT-857D. All band/all mode is the way to go.

Counterpoise

As mentioned in previous posts, a roll up 2m and 70cm ladderline jpole, some coax, paracord would fit nicely in a small duffel or container. In addition, a wind up hf dipole made with 2 camping clothesline reels could fit in the bag as well. I use the repeaterbook app on an old non network Samsung S3 using only GPS for this as well as offline mapping. This keeps my network phones battery from always running low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94