Added a battery to my Kamparoo, do I need a converter?

Vinman

Observer
As stated, I installed a 12v deep cycle AGM battery to run the furnace and a few LED lights, do I need a converter or can I just use a good quality charger capable of charging/maintaining AGM batteries?
In my mind I can't see why I would need a converter over a charger.
I will wire a couple of 120v outlets in the trailer that would have a cord out the front whenever 120v is available or when using a genny then simply plug the charger into the outlet inside.

Any reason for a converter?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
RV converters are usually intended to power the 12v stuff when there is shore power available.

Unfortunately, a lot of them are intended to do only that, and do a crap job of battery charging, if they do any battery charging at all.

If you're powering off the battery and feeding power to the battery with a decent charger, then you don't need a converter.

Just make sure the charger is big enough to supply all the amps the 12v stuff is using and still have some more amps available to actually charge the battery.

Vinman

Observer
Thanks, I don't use a lot of 12v power, just a small Propex furnace fan and a couple of LED rope lights.
I'll pick up a 10-15 amp battery charger and call it good.

Vince

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior