basic setup help: 12v car battery + trailer + tent fan + Solar charger

JOSX2

Observer
I'm a complete newb with solar power anything....I'm drilling around in here trying to learn what i wanna know, but figured I'd post while I'm hunting around too.

I just got a m416 trailer w/ RTT on it...using it this weekend for the first time too (2 nights). Tho, the weather forecast is calling for possible muggy weather at night, so I want to add a fan or two inside the tent (looking at the 10" O2Cool fans)

I'm looking at a very basic setup right now that I can set up for this weekend...then work on making it better afterwards. What I'd like to do is add a Harbor Freight tongue box to the trailer, put a car battery in it with a power inverter, and then run an extension cable up to the tent to plug the fan(s) into

I have no idea what kind of draw the fans will have on the battery, but i"m hoping/thinking they'll last overnight? Either way, I want to get a solar panel to recharge the battery while i'm out offroading during the day. Looking for suggestions on what I need in terms of a solar panel & if I need a regulator/solar charge controler/whatever-it's-called.

TIA

JOSX2

Observer
yeah..just found the endless breeze on amazon. read rave reviews about it on here...as well as it's reviews on amazon. thinking i'll just splurge on that.

looking into deep cycle batteries now...

4x4junkie

Explorer
yeah..just found the endless breeze on amazon. read rave reviews about it on here...as well as it's reviews on amazon. thinking i'll just splurge on that.

looking into deep cycle batteries now...

×2 on the Endless Breeze. I too read a lot about it... Never made the purchase, but that would likely be the one I'd get if I do end up getting a 12V fan.

I use the Deka Marine Master #DP27 deep cycle in my rig (two of them actually). These, or possibly the Kirkland/Interstate #27 Costco sells IMO are the best bang for the buck in any deep cycle battery, especially if you're just running camping equipment off it (fans, fridge, LED lights, etc., and recharging by solar). I usually get at least 4-5 years out of them, sometimes MUCH more, especially if you give them a good long absorptive charge a couple times a year (something solar can do very well when the rig is being stored).

Look into Renogy for your solar panels, and Morningstar for a charge controller. If you plan to add a 12V fridge, I would recommend minimum a 100W panel and a 10A controller. The Morningstar ProStar PS-15 is a good unit, or if you want a little more, the SunSaver MPPT-15 won't disappoint. Both will allow you to upgrade the system with more panel(s) if you find you need it.

I use the SunSaver MPPT and 170W of panels to keep my fridge, stereo, LED campsite lighting and occasional charging R/C car batteries (among other things) going.

Last edited:

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
You don't want to do that. That trailer is crap, it's worse than crap. You want to sell it now, to me and find a nice hotel room with a/c and 40+ channels of HDTV.

Seriously though, congrats on the sweet trailer. If you hadn't bought it I had the chief financial officer's permission to buy it. Hope it serves you well for many years!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior