Best RTT for WINTER and SNOW?

hokiruu

I am looking for the most robust, waterproof, heavy duty RTT that also hopefully has the ability to withstand snow that may gather overnight, and can withstand being packed away wet, frozen, etc. I know tenting in the snow is not everyone's favorite but I am a dedicated snowboarder who wants to still haul a snowmobile in my truck bed to avoid trailering and chains, so a tall bed rack and RTT over the bed/sled seems like the best solution, IF I can find a RTT up to the task. If I am planning my snowboard expeditions properly, me and my RTT WILL be getting snowed on, HARD. I can deal with snow tenting more than I can deal with trailering in the snow and taking chains on and off constantly.

The Maggiolina and James Baroud vertical (vs. tilting) hard shell designs look very good. Less fabric, more rigid support vs. all fabric tents, hopefully putting less stress on the seams etc. vs. fabric tents when loaded with heavy snow. I like the annexes on the larger CVT Denali and Tepui soft designs as well, especially for a place to change in and out of gear when it is snowing/cold etc. But it really comes down to material and frame strength. I can read for days (and I am) but without being able to see them in person, I am wondering if any of you who have seen them in person can offer some input on which you feel may be the best candidate for this type of use. Any advice is appreciated!

hokiruu

After more searching, the Autohome Maggiolina Solar reflective and Winter hood for their vertical RTTs may be a good solution for winter, and they offer their changing room for their units. Maybe I answered my own questions, but I'm still interested in others' experiences and thoughts.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
I enjoy winter camping with my Tepui Autana w/ annex. The even have a weather hood for them now which may be just what you're needing. The "hoops" supporting the tent fabric are fairly stout and have never given me pause. The enclosed entry is a HUGE bonus in the rain, ice, and snow and one of the major factors in my picking that style. The hard shell RTTs are awesome and lightning fast to put up and take down, but the exposed entry is a non-starter for me due to how frequently I find myself in blue tarp weather. The annex also enables you to put a buddy heater down below to get toasty while changing clothes upright or going to the bathroom without entering the elements. One con to the fold-over style tents is that you will need to open it up when you return to dry it out if it is going to be stowed for longer than a week.

hokiruu

I enjoy winter camping with my Tepui Autana w/ annex. The even have a weather hood for them now which may be just what you're needing. The "hoops" supporting the tent fabric are fairly stout and have never given me pause. The enclosed entry is a HUGE bonus in the rain, ice, and snow and one of the major factors in my picking that style. The hard shell RTTs are awesome and lightning fast to put up and take down, but the exposed entry is a non-starter for me due to how frequently I find myself in blue tarp weather. The annex also enables you to put a buddy heater down below to get toasty while changing clothes upright or going to the bathroom without entering the elements. One con to the fold-over style tents is that you will need to open it up when you return to dry it out if it is going to be stowed for longer than a week.

Excellent points Yarjammer. Yes the annex is a major point. It should hopefully not be an issue to get the tent aired/dried out within a week. Autohome offers a "changing room", awning, and winter hood, which may sell me on the Maggiolina Extreme http://www.autohomeus.com/accessories/

NoOneBetter

Observer
Heres my Tepui Autana in the snow. I've only had maybe 3-4 inches of snow up on the top. Packing the tent gets a a little more cumbersome in the snow because the tent material hardens up and is slightly less flexible when trying to pack in the material. This is due to the cold temps and any frozen condensation that has built up on the inside. Its not really a big deal though. And yea, as Yarjammer stated, you definitely need to air out the tent after the trip. I've recently purchased a Tepui weather hood and will be trying that out this upcoming season.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Maggiolina Extreme with a winter hood is ideal. Mechanical activation is not effected by temps as the gas shocks are. It raises and lowers easily. I put mine away at 0 F, in snow, no issues.
I used the elastic from the bottom of the winter hood to tension the sides when lowering it to keep the material tucked in better, works really well. Never had any condensation in it.
You'd be happy with this tent.

hokiruu

Heres my Tepui Autana in the snow. I've only had maybe 3-4 inches of snow up on the top. Packing the tent gets a a little more cumbersome in the snow because the tent material hardens up and is slightly less flexible when trying to pack in the material. This is due to the cold temps and any frozen condensation that has built up on the inside. Its not really a big deal though. And yea, as Yarjammer stated, you definitely need to air out the tent after the trip. I've recently purchased a Tepui weather hood and will be trying that out this upcoming season.

Yeah, that's is one of my concerns. I'm sure it can be done, but how much, and what negative effects could it have repeatedly over time? I'll ask you next Spring.

Maggiolina Extreme with a winter hood is ideal. Mechanical activation is not effected by temps as the gas shocks are. It raises and lowers easily. I put mine away at 0 F, in snow, no issues.
I used the elastic from the bottom of the winter hood to tension the sides when lowering it to keep the material tucked in better, works really well. Never had any condensation in it.
You'd be happy with this tent.

Great, I'm on the right rack then.

This is actually a good article cause the writer was initially a skeptic by the sounds of it. It really shows the tent well.

http://expeditionportal.com/living-with-the-maggiolina-extreme-tent/

Thanks for the replies and info. @cruiserpilot that article was very helpful, thanks again.

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Hokiruu - Disregard all this talk about how nice annex is for winter camping. Here is my rant, I don't believe it.

I think you are in the right track with a maggiolina, they are an excellent cold weather tent. Ever tried to close a folding tent in the cold?, just doesn't work for me, scrape the snow off the roof and your fingers freeze up. Then the tent will not close completely because it is just too cold, and wrestling with a stiff cold cover isn't fun. I could go on ....

I also don't get the annex thing? Winter brings wind, last thing you want is more windage. I usually have to put jacks under my rig to keep it from swaying with just the tent. In high wind, you can feel a breeze inside a maggiolina, fabric is porous, so the winter hood is a good thing. I've never had an annex for changing my clothes but can't see the appeal. After all, it is cold, you put your clothes on under the covers or in the tent. Yes it is a hassle, but warmer. The idea of a propane heater isn't good in my opinion either, introduces just too much moisture inside the tent. If you want the tent warm when you open it, throw a heated lap robe in the tent when it is closed and plug it in when you are driving. When you open the tent, it may not be toasty but not as bad.

While the design and execution of the maggiolina is brilliant, they have this thing called a Verandah that is ridiculous, I think they farmed the design and manufacture out on it. The design of the changing room is much more thoughtful. We used to make up something custom by attaching some adjustable poles to the mounting tracks under the tent but that is best left to another discussion. In fact, there are some guys who track the forum who go out in serious cold, you can reach out if you need to.

A couple things that help in cold weather. Zifer (AutoHome) developed their anti-condensation mat for cold weather. It is the best in the business, made in Germany and while it is quite expensive, and is well worth it. You will notice that under the maggiolinga's mattress are some channels that direct water away from the mattress. It is warm inside the tent and even though the base of the tent is insulated with encapsulated foam, you still get quite a bit of condensation down there. The ACS mat helps and helps keep the mattress warm. I think a lot warmth is lost through the base, I would really feel it when I used my folding tent even though the base is wood.

The last thing to take into account when looking at a winter roof tent is size. I know we are conditioned to think bigger is better but you want something akin to a mountaineering tent. A smaller tent has less volume and stays warmer. There are some who call a maggiolina a "coffin" and while they are correct, the don't get it. While Zifer could easily make the maggiolina's roof lift higher simply by adding more fabric, they don't, because it adds volume, you want to keep the warm air down low. There once was a special expedition maggiolina called the "adventure", the small size was really small, the base was shorter than the current small maggiolinas. I borrowed one once on a winter trip to Idaho and was impressed. I suffer from mild claustrophobia, and never had a problem. Think of a roof tent in the same way as a sleeping bag and buy one that fits the condition you plan to encounter and then you will have it for life.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Might be just as good to pick up a small trailer for the sled and a cap for the truck. No worries about folding up a tent, wind, snow loads or attracting extra attention of a rtt.

Adventure: OffRoad

Guy that goes places and does things.
The coldest I've ever been out in our James Baroud is 25° F. Not terribly cold, but certainly enough to freeze any condensation. My wife and I have a knock off brand Mr. Buddy heater that we put in the tent after we get up and start making breakfast. By the time we're done with that the tent is dried out and the fabric is warmer making things much easier to fold up. We hope to really get a chance to camp in the snow this year and will be purchasing the isothermal kit for our tent. With the hard shell I feel the snow will slide off pretty easy, as when we close it up the front gets clasped first, giving it a good angle to get rid of the snow.

hokiruu

Might be just as good to pick up a small trailer for the sled and a cap for the truck. No worries about folding up a tent, wind, snow loads or attracting extra attention of a rtt.

Hokiruu - Disregard all this talk about how nice annex is for winter camping. Here is my rant, I don't believe it.

I think you are in the right track with a maggiolina, they are an excellent cold weather tent. Ever tried to close a folding tent in the cold?, just doesn't work for me, scrape the snow off the roof and your fingers freeze up. Then the tent will not close completely because it is just too cold, and wrestling with a stiff cold cover isn't fun. I could go on ....

I also don't get the annex thing? Winter brings wind, last thing you want is more windage. I usually have to put jacks under my rig to keep it from swaying with just the tent. In high wind, you can feel a breeze inside a maggiolina, fabric is porous, so the winter hood is a good thing. I've never had an annex for changing my clothes but can't see the appeal. After all, it is cold, you put your clothes on under the covers or in the tent. Yes it is a hassle, but warmer. The idea of a propane heater isn't good in my opinion either, introduces just too much moisture inside the tent. If you want the tent warm when you open it, throw a heated lap robe in the tent when it is closed and plug it in when you are driving. When you open the tent, it may not be toasty but not as bad.

While the design and execution of the maggiolina is brilliant, they have this thing called a Verandah that is ridiculous, I think they farmed the design and manufacture out on it. The design of the changing room is much more thoughtful. We used to make up something custom by attaching some adjustable poles to the mounting tracks under the tent but that is best left to another discussion. In fact, there are some guys who track the forum who go out in serious cold, you can reach out if you need to.

A couple things that help in cold weather. Zifer (AutoHome) developed their anti-condensation mat for cold weather. It is the best in the business, made in Germany and while it is quite expensive, and is well worth it. You will notice that under the maggiolinga's mattress are some channels that direct water away from the mattress. It is warm inside the tent and even though the base of the tent is insulated with encapsulated foam, you still get quite a bit of condensation down there. The ACS mat helps and helps keep the mattress warm. I think a lot warmth is lost through the base, I would really feel it when I used my folding tent even though the base is wood.

The last thing to take into account when looking at a winter roof tent is size. I know we are conditioned to think bigger is better but you want something akin to a mountaineering tent. A smaller tent has less volume and stays warmer. There are some who call a maggiolina a "coffin" and while they are correct, the don't get it. While Zifer could easily make the maggiolina's roof lift higher simply by adding more fabric, they don't, because it adds volume, you want to keep the warm air down low. There once was a special expedition maggiolina called the "adventure", the small size was really small, the base was shorter than the current small maggiolinas. I borrowed one once on a winter trip to Idaho and was impressed. I suffer from mild claustrophobia, and never had a problem. Think of a roof tent in the same way as a sleeping bag and buy one that fits the condition you plan to encounter and then you will have it for life.

Thanks for the really insightful reply. All very good points. Sounds like Maggiolina is the right tent for me! I'm not sold on the veranda yet either. After all, I've managed to change with just my truck snowboarding for years.

hokiruu

Been there, done that, no thanks. As I mentioned, you are required to put snow chains on every tire when trailering. When going up and down mountains passes with snow/ice on top, and dry roads at the bottom, I don't want to be taking chains on/off constantly on a trip. That slows you down A LOT. On top of that, getting to some backcountry zones/Sno Parks, trailheads, etc. sometimes a trailer just isn't going to fit, so there goes your day, or if you need to turn around on a narrow mountain road to park you long truck/trailer, the road isn't wide enough, especially with big snow banks on both sides, now you are jackknifed on an angle on ice, slowly sliding toward a cliff, blocking all the traffic... I could go on and on. NO.

I have spent many nights in my old ARE truck cap shell (which was a very nice one) in the winter and condensation was an issue. Cold is one thing, but lots of moisture in the cold = not good. The non-porous cap would trap it all inside. Never had that problem with an on-ground tent.

All this is exactly why I am jumping through hoops to figure out a sled-in-the-bed, RTT on top of the bed/sled setup.

hokiruu

Hi hokiruu,

I will give you my take on the Maggiolina Extreme. I have only had a dozen times where I had snow on the Maggiolina Extreme. The most was 10" deep on the roof. The tent handled it without any fuss.

With the 10" of snow I did not so do so well, when a clump of snow slid off the top as I was closing it up. It was a solid 3 pointer to the face, It was a learning experience for me.

I average over 200 nights in mine Maggiolina Extreme a year. The tent is always on the vehicle I will say that they last and last. This is with many years of using them, I have not seen any other come close to holding up as the Maggiolina's do. This was used in my business and the Maggiolina never failed me.

I have not seen any RTT that I would even consider. For a RTT to survive the workout I give it I am sold on the Maggiolina.

Frenchie

Great supporting vote for the Maggiolina. I'm pretty sold on it. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior