Best RTT for WINTER and SNOW?

hokiruu

The coldest I've ever been out in our James Baroud is 25° F. Not terribly cold, but certainly enough to freeze any condensation. My wife and I have a knock off brand Mr. Buddy heater that we put in the tent after we get up and start making breakfast. By the time we're done with that the tent is dried out and the fabric is warmer making things much easier to fold up. We hope to really get a chance to camp in the snow this year and will be purchasing the isothermal kit for our tent. With the hard shell I feel the snow will slide off pretty easy, as when we close it up the front gets clasped first, giving it a good angle to get rid of the snow.

Thanks for mentioning the James Baroud, that was my other hard shell RTT of interest. That is great info about the heater, and I was hoping the angle for removing snow would work out too. Thank you!

Suganuma

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I'm not understanding the difference between the grand tour and extreme models of maggiolinas. I'm also working on a winter camping setup and share your position on trailers, but I might need some extra room for kids/dog. Is the grand tour not as winter capable into single digits? I'm tracking the lack of accessories previously mentioned.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Suganuma, they are both Maggiolinas so are very similar. The Maggiolina Extreme is a specialty tent, designed with a reinforced roof and lift mechanism. If you need to carry heavy weights on the roof of your tent, then this is your tent but it only comes in small. Otherwise, the Grand Tour is a better all around tent, it has a higher roof so you can store more inside. This is important as in winter, you have more stuff. It is also lighter and you can tilt the roof to the side opposite so the snow on the roof will slide off away from you. All Maggiolinas can take a serious snow load but this one comes in three sizes. Many time folks going into single digit weather opt for a smaller tent as it has less surface area and volume you need to warm up. There are lots of threads on winter camping, but basically you are looking for a double walled 4 season mountaineering tent, which any of the Maggiolinas can be.

hokiruu

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I'm not understanding the difference between the grand tour and extreme models of maggiolinas. I'm also working on a winter camping setup and share your position on trailers, but I might need some extra room for kids/dog. Is the grand tour not as winter capable into single digits? I'm tracking the lack of accessories previously mentioned.

Not a thread jack at all! The more questions, the more answers hopefully. Thanks for joining the discussion. At this point I am just as interested in larger capacity tents as smaller. Good question about the differences.

Suganuma, they are both Maggiolinas so are very similar. The Maggiolina Extreme is a specialty tent, designed with a reinforced roof and lift mechanism. If you need to carry heavy weights on the roof of your tent, then this is your tent but it only comes in small. Otherwise, the Grand Tour is a better all around tent, it has a higher roof so you can store more inside. This is important as in winter, you have more stuff. It is also lighter and you can tilt the roof to the side opposite so the snow on the roof will slide off away from you. All Maggiolinas can take a serious snow load but this one comes in three sizes. Many time folks going into single digit weather opt for a smaller tent as it has less surface area and volume you need to warm up. There are lots of threads on winter camping, but basically you are looking for a double walled 4 season mountaineering tent, which any of the Maggiolinas can be.

Excellent info, thanks for sharing! I didn't realize the differences either.

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
After more searching, the Autohome Maggiolina Solar reflective and Winter hood for their vertical RTTs may be a good solution for winter, and they offer their changing room for their units. Maybe I answered my own questions, but I'm still interested in others' experiences and thoughts.
Did you end up going that route last winter?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online