Sprinter Converter Questions

Hey! I'm looking to pick up a 2016 Sprinter and convert it so I can live out of it and travel. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it financially for me now and then later if I end up deciding to sell it. Any answers to any of my questions would be really helpful in helping me decide! If you convert vans for a living, I would especially be grateful since you know what you're talking about.

Did you convert yours or have someone else do it? If you did it, was it difficult and what was your timeline?
Was it worth it (price and time) to do it yourself instead of having someone else do it for you?
How many people do you think convert their own vs having someone else do it?
Do they have a good resell value after conversion?
Do you live in it full time or just for fun adventures?

Really any information on converting vans in general would be great.

Thanks!
Kylee

Darwin

Explorer
Check out sprintersource forum. Lots of info there, I would think used would be the way to go since new cars always depreciate the minute they leave the lot. There is a lot you can do on your own if you are handy and have a nice van. Paying someone is going to be expensive, at least to me. If you plan to drive to Mexico or points farther south make sure you get one built before 07.

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi Kylee, I'd go for a low miles van 1-2 yrs old as the 1st owner has taken the hit on depreciation and has sorted the normal warranty niggles - one hopes.!

I've not converted a sprinter, but have converted a VW T5 panel van into a pop top camper and have covered most of europe in it since it was finished.
I did it over 18months as money became available with no previous conversion experience, its my wifes DD & we use it for weekends away as well as multi week holidays.

Was it worth it? YES. & have possibly doubled the value - T5 campers are very popular in the UK with a huge after market for everything from beds and fittings to kitchen units.

I'm looking to convert another van, slightly larger than the VW T5 so I can include a shower/wc & a solar panel - wish i had added this while I was installing the split charge wiring.

The T5 has been a learning experience which I hope to take on to a sprinter 4x4 soon, would I buy a converted van? - No unless I had seen the work being done, there are a huge number of dodgy conversion companies in the UK at the moment, I've seen people who have paid £15K to convert a T5 into a camper and the quality of workmanship left a lot to be desired.

good luck with your search.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
There is endless information out there...really...endless...
sprinter source has a lot of nice builds...

We bought a '15 last year and I am about to start the build this fall. We have spent the last 9 months living out of the van empty to give us an idea of what we really want and don't really need...the more we used it the more we realized that we didn't need all the fancy things we thought we did.
We have a 144" wb so can't get too crazy...basically it is going to be the very common bike hauler/garage under platform bed with side dinette/fridge and power/ventilation/solar...no water, no shower, no **** tank.

I got quotes from a few companies (RB, outside van, etc) and they do nice work but for what they charge we decided to build it ourselves...simple...and take what we would save and put it toward our new van fund...the 50-70K I will save will go a long way in ten years toward buying the next van...

And you will not regret owning a sprinter.

12xplore

Observer
I recently finished having a van converted, a Ford, not a Sprinter but I feel the same applies. I wanted a professional look but didn't really have the time or workshop to build what I had envisioned myself. I didn't want to wait the long lead times for the bigger conversion companies so had someone I know build out the inside. He had experience in the marine industry so he did a nice job. Ultimately I probably spent 70% of what it would have cost to have the work completed at one of the big names but having it built in about 3 months made it an even better deal. I feel the resell value will hold up.
I live it in for about 3 months at a time, then park it while I am out of town for work for 2 or 3 months,, then repeat. I love it and can't see myself living any other way.

Here's my build...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/160267-Quadvan-High-Top-Build

SootyCamper

Hey. I'm sure you've seen the likes of Outside Van but have been alarmed at their price tag. I'd highly suggest taking advantage of the USD-CAD exchange rate and give Overland Explorer a call. They are based out of Red Deer Alberta. http://overlandex.com/vehicles/ Also check out their facebook page for build photos. They are members on Exportal too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz