Exploring topless

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I'm wondering; for those of us that run soft top exploration-expedition vehicles (not weekend wheelers, but folks who actually get out for a week or more at a time with daily travel). How did you build your rig to take advantage of putting the top down?

Also interested to hear from our vendors, on recommendations they'd make based on their personal experience, as well as feedback they've received from customers who spend a majority of time exploring.

If you're a hard top exploration person, but are thinking of switching sides... lol What would you do?

Not interested in opinions of which top is better suited for exploring-expedition. That is totally subjective to the individual, and a whole different thread (please :)).

You can see from the build thread in the signature what I've done. Just because it's mine doesn't make it the best, or even good. So I'd really like to see what others have done to see what I could improve upon.

TIA, :beer:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I am getting a new jeep soft top for next season. If you are travelling by yourself, on low traffic roads, topless is awesome. in dusty areas with more than one rig, I would want the top up or hard top....I spent enough time as a young'en on atv eating dust.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hi Kojack, :beer:

Yeah, this isn't about hard top versus soft top, this question is in regards to how people who run soft tops have their rigs setup.
Or for someone who has a hard top, and is going to a soft top, how do they plan to setup their rigs.

The soft top hard top debate is something for another thread. It it subjective, like manual/auto. I don't get involved in those debates.

Have you given thought yet to how you'll use the soft top on extended trips? How you'll setup your Jeep for security, etc.?

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I like my soft top but I mostly leave it up.

I like the aesthetic of the soft top over the hardtop and also that it is a hell of a lot lighter than a hardtop, leaving more weight to be used for cargo.

That being said, I hate that it is a bit of a leaker.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I've followed your build. Great work.
Have you had a chance to get out exploring for a week or so with the soft top on?
If so, any changes or additions you'd make to the build?

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Soft tops are great because you always have them with you to put up when the inevitable afternoon thunderstorm rolls through. This gives you the option to run topless but also stay dry. My biggest beef with them (at least with TJs) is you have to find something to do with the rear and side windows. I've just kinda conceeded the back half of the Jeep and leave them at home and make sure everything is in Rubbermaid totes nice and dry in the back, and then I carry the half door uppers in the back. I've but the lowers back there on carpeted boards but it's pretty sketchy. I really want a set of full soft doors, that way I can stay dry up front in the rain and can just chuck them in the back and run topless and doorless when the weather cooperates. Luckily security is not a big deal where I'm from and I've never worried about anyone reaching in the back of the Jeep ans snagging something.

My grandfather has one of the sunrider tops he can just flip back and forth whenever and the back can still stay dry. Works really well for him.

After I get soft doors I'm gonna try and figure out quicker disconnects for the windshield......

kojackJKU

I know scott, I was just giving the points of traveling topless. for security, I would get the lock boxes for the rear and under seat. Pretty well thats all you have. side and rear zip in windows kill any security that we had with the hard top. also, you could run swag mounts and action packers with pad locks for the rear, that would be pretty secure back in the back.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Not sure if you're considering a rack or not, but I do believe the Gobi racks allow soft top use relatively easily.

My primary concern would be secure storage solutions.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I think you have to get in the mind frame of a pickup truck owner rather than an SUV owner when you go soft top only. Permanent storage with security measures would be key for me. Minimizing easily snatched valuables in the cabin using quick disconnects for CB's, NAV, etc...

And don't forget the sunscreen on the backs of your hands. My wife made that mistake the one day we went took the top off her old TJ in Moab.

kojackJKU

Oh yeah, sunscreen dispenser on dash is a necessity. There are PLENTY of security options. I think swag locks, so they are bolted to the floor, and you can lock them down. It would be difficult to swipe them, or whats in them. I guess you can build the same for the fridge. There are many cubbies to fit in the arm rests, glove box etc that make them theft resistant. Very cool!

Justincredible

Adventurer
I run a Bestop Trektop NX and usually leave the windows behind. With full doors the top provides enough coverage to keep the front seats and most of the cargo area dry in some pretty intense rain.

I keep most of my stuff in a lockable container that hooks into the floor where the back seat goes... or I keep it all in the teardrop trailer.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great input! Thanks guys. :beer:

As happy as I am with the progress, there is a lot of room for improvement with this build. So I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Three goals for next year (besides using it more).
1). Some type of Batwing awning, with a screen enclosure
2). Something better for the rear window. It is the biggest downfall (imo) to the soft top. Jeff (jscherb) has an excellent idea in this regard, that i am going to investigate.
3). A better top boot, so the top can be lifted out of the way, for easy access to the rear, when it is down and stowed.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz