FLIPPACK CAMPERS

tacoluv

Observer
Can't wait to install my bar, UPS says next Tuesday. Went to ExPo East last weekend and had to use the delete mod for three nights of camping. I hope to never touch those lifting bars again. Saw some very nice rigs and truck campers from 10K to 400K. But for 6K my little Tacoma with Flippac has been a very satisfying combination on my truck. It can go anywhere a trail capable rig can go because its light. Not to disparage anyone and what they think best for their needs but we camped next to 5 upper end units that had to run truck engines and generators several times a day because solar wasn't cooperating - just like in an RV park! Overlanding NOT!

So in my rounds of the vendors I talked with someone who builds one of the most well designed truck campers IMO. I told him I was considering a replacement for the Flippac. He has been researching the Flippac and he knew all about the history and asked to come over to my rig in the back 40 - didn't want to be noticed. He wanted my opinion on the market demand - I said nothing compares to the basic design and to price it at under 10k.

The famous Roman engineer/architect Vitruvius said something like this, "a thing to be well built must have three elements; commodity (value), firmness (strength), delight (artfulness). I think the basic Flippac design in hands of a skilled builder would be a hit.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
That is funny you said this, I was at Expo East too and looked hard at other choices for the Tacoma, for the money and what I do - the Flippac is still my favorite design, weight and use of space. I also looked over several inside builds, and again, found a couple ideas, but general design, what I have works great - That is a great feeling since I own it : )

Can't wait to install my bar, UPS says next Tuesday. Went to ExPo East last weekend and had to use the delete mod for three nights of camping. I hope to never touch those lifting bars again. Saw some very nice rigs and truck campers from 10K to 400K. But for 6K my little Tacoma with Flippac has been a very satisfying combination on my truck. It can go anywhere a trail capable rig can go because its light. Not to disparage anyone and what they think best for their needs but we camped next to 5 upper end units that had to run truck engines and generators several times a day because solar wasn't cooperating - just like in an RV park! Overlanding NOT!

So in my rounds of the vendors I talked with someone who builds one of the most well designed truck campers IMO. I told him I was considering a replacement for the Flippac. He has been researching the Flippac and he knew all about the history and asked to come over to my rig in the back 40 - didn't want to be noticed. He wanted my opinion on the market demand - I said nothing compares to the basic design and to price it at under 10k.

The famous Roman engineer/architect Vitruvius said something like this, "a thing to be well built must have three elements; commodity (value), firmness (strength), delight (artfulness). I think the basic Flippac design in hands of a skilled builder would be a hit.

gregmcrae

I'll contact Swayaway to see if they fabricate the 5 ft. lengths as well. As far as the sleeve goes, would pvc or a light plastic tube work? I live in colorado so things dry fast. Just wondering if there was a solution for the rocks that get kicked up from the road and would nick the outer treatment of the swayaway replacement bars causing rust.

DVexile

Adventurer
I'll contact Swayaway to see if they fabricate the 5 ft. lengths as well. As far as the sleeve goes, would pvc or a light plastic tube work? I live in colorado so things dry fast. Just wondering if there was a solution for the rocks that get kicked up from the road and would nick the outer treatment of the swayaway replacement bars causing rust.

There is only one torsion bar design for all Flip-Pac sizes. The lid and tent is identical on every Flip-Pac regardless of the overall shell size.

I can't imagine how one could get rocks to hit the bar. It is physically impossible to do with your own wheels of course and if you were following another vehicle throwing rocks that high you'd need a new windshield well before one managed to hit the torsion bar...

gregmcrae

I had a powder coated steel kayak rack on my previous truck. It's amazing how many pebble hits it takes up there from the road.
Ordered mine yesterday!
Anyone have tips on installation technique? Is it possible to install while the flip pac is still on the truck?

Thanks!

homemade

Adventurer
Received it today, I know nothing about torsion bars but it looks very high quality based on the finish which looks flawless.

Thanks SAW for providing this product/service.

maybe there would be some market for the actuating lever, I'm sure mine is around somewhere.

Acka

I've got an intact torsion bar, bushings, chrome tube, and actuating handle - if anyone is interested let me know

Arclight

SAR guy
I had a powder coated steel kayak rack on my previous truck. It's amazing how many pebble hits it takes up there from the road.
Ordered mine yesterday!
Anyone have tips on installation technique? Is it possible to install while the flip pac is still on the truck?

Thanks!

You can definitely install it on the truck. The easiest way is to park it under a second-story window or a tall tree. Get someone to help you muscle it up to vertical (that's where the tension is fully off the bar) and secure it there. Change torsion bar and enjoy.

Arclight

mattsavage

Observer
I've got an intact torsion bar, bushings, chrome tube, and actuating handle - if anyone is interested let me know

Selling as a package or will you separate? I could use those bushings. Mine are all cracked and broken.

Speaking of bushings, anyone know where to pick up spares?

SAW_George

Received it today, I know nothing about torsion bars but it looks very high quality based on the finish which looks flawless.

Thanks SAW for providing this product/service.

maybe there would be some market for the actuating lever, I'm sure mine is around somewhere.

We appreciate the kind words, thank you! :)

tacoluv

Observer
Installed new SAW Bar

Had some time on a beautiful fall day in the North Country and put the new bar in from Sway-A -Way. This is the second bar I've replaced so I knew what to expect. Top up in vertical with rope and supports to keep the lid arms aligned after knocking out the old/new bar from Flippac that lasted 6 months. The bar from SAW was well finished with what looks like a red rubberized coating which should hold up under flex (also put on a 1" aluminum cover tube which I got from Home Depot). The details of changing out the bar have been documented on this site but give yourself 4 hours. The bars splines matched up well and things went together smoothly with some anti-seize applied. Some heavy blows to drive things together and now have a working Flippac. The torsion on the new bar is just right so they know what they are doing.

Great job SAW

theREDwonder

Observer
Had some time on a beautiful fall day in the North Country and put the new bar in from Sway-A -Way. This is the second bar I've replaced so I knew what to expect. Top up in vertical with rope and supports to keep the lid arms aligned after knocking out the old/new bar from Flippac that lasted 6 months. The bar from SAW was well finished with what looks like a red rubberized coating which should hold up under flex (also put on a 1" aluminum cover tube which I got from Home Depot). The details of changing out the bar have been documented on this site but give yourself 4 hours. The bars splines matched up well and things went together smoothly with some anti-seize applied. Some heavy blows to drive things together and now have a working Flippac. The torsion on the new bar is just right so they know what they are doing.

Great job SAW

Awesome! How does the load feel with the new torsion bar feel? Stiffer or softer than the stock one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94