What is most important to you when buying Recovery Board Kits?

Cobra1951

When buying these recovery board sets, what is it that you most look for out of all the qualities? I'm curious because it seems that there isn't any one product that effectively covers all aspects, so what is most important to you when making a decision and why?

-Price Point
-Size
-Warranty
-Brand
-Bridging
-Availability
-Multiple Uses

Kevin108

Explorer
Price. All the other features don't matter if the price is too high. $300 will get you some great recovery ramps, but you can also get into low-end winch at that price point...and that's the problem.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I tend to agree wth price, but performance would be a very close second. For me, I don't want to carry the weight of a winch all the time. I've thought of using a portable rig that mounts to a tow receiver and eventually I will do it, but that's getting pretty spendy. Maxxtraxx and the like seem to be a decent alternative for self-recovery.

icedragonmx

Adventurer
Performance and Quality are what matters to me, may cost you more but gets you stuff that works and won't break on your first use.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have a LOT of recovery equipment and have used it all hard. I look for branded equipment that I don't feel will place me in danger when I use it in anger. The only 2 failures I have experienced with recovery gear were Max Trax and a chain. I use a lot of different brands - mainly Warn winches and Viking winchlines, but everything else is a mixed bag.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
pugslyyy what kind of failure did you have with Maxtrax?

Pretty much what they show in this video at 1:21. The nubs heat up and burn off with just a slight bit of wheel spin. I just got the TRED Pros and am excited to give them a try.

Last edited:

ILIAN

Adventurer
Please let us know how the TRED Pro's work. I wasn't aware they had improved, I remember some people had problems with those boards breaking. I have 2 sets of Maxtrax, only used them once and the knobs are still good. If I ever damage the knobs I will probably use steel bolts to replace them.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Side note: Whatever you get, tie a piece of string to them and the other end, to the back of your rig. So when you recover, your vehicle pulls the mats out for you (vs. digging around, trying to get them).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03CEBphWlSI

Skip to 2:20 for demonstration on the recovery board string.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
...but you can also get into low-end winch at that price point.
Sometimes there's no winchpoints anywhere. Much of my offroading is deep sand and slickrock. The only thing tall enough to cast a shadow is the sagebrush and they don't hold up so well to winching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94