Best tires for our rig

seeNik48

Adventurer
Thanks in advance for any help you can give us. We drive the setup in my signature: 2008 F250 and Hallmark Ute. We just had it officially weighed and it came in at 12,000# This is with replacement front end bumper but not the winch we just bought. It is 4x4 and high clearance. This is what we have now:

Toyo A/T All Terrain M/S mud and snow open country extreme, tubeless steel belted radial.
LT295/60R20.
Load range single maximum 3750 pounds at 80psi.
Plies: tread: 2 steel, 2 polyester, 2 nylon and sidewall 2 polyester.
I don't know if they are E rated.

We don't want this tire again. We do want the same size but not mud and snow. We want an all season radial tire that size.

We rarely travel interstates but just in case. To get to USFS or BLM roads, we do have to travel state or county paved roads. I would say about half gravel and half paved. We don't rock crawl or venture on any that require short wheel base or are off camber. Some examples are Cathedral Valley Loop (almost didn't make an uphill switchback), Steens Mountain Loop, Whitehorse Ranch Traverse (Oregon), Cottonwood road in the San Rafael Swell and over to the Wedge overlook plus all over the roads in the canyons and mountains between Nevada's highways 6 and 50. Not terribly difficult roads on the whole but not recently graded gravel either. Occasionally we will try a short uphill climb over a rocky road to find a ghost town (Park City, NV) but not often.

We want an all season tire that we can buy at Les Schwab as they seem to be all over when we need them. They don't need to have an aggressive tread. And, probably under $2000 for the set is our limit if possible, if not, then we will have ante up.

Thanks for any advice.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
https://www.treaddepot.com/?gclid=C...productDetail/tireStandardFitment/90000023631

cooper-discoverer-at3-group-large.png

Nomad1

Observer
I have 8 ply D rated ROAD VENTURE AT51 tires their just OK going for E rated next if I could find my 10 ply -=TruTrack=- tires I had in the 90's id be in tire heaven best tread design I have ever used and tougher than nails...

anickode

Adventurer
Just FYI a mud and snow M/S rating does not mean mud tire. A mud tire will pretty much by definition be mud and snow rated, however all seasons are too. Its what makes a tire all season. It just means that the tread is designed to not turn itself into a racing slick when driving on sticky surfaces. I don't think I've ever seen an a/s tire without the M/S stamp.

Sounds like what you don't want is a mud terrain tire with big chunky tread blocks. Most all terrains will do what you're looking for.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Hubby doesn't like the way it gets chewed up.
Then I suspect there is something else going on here. I am running 35" Toyo AT-IIs on a quad Cab Power Wagon and nothing is getting chewed up. I am not as heavy as OPs rig, but I have a cab high camper and lots of gear in the truck, so dry weight is north of 8500. My theory is that the problem is not the tires but the wheels. 295-60s on 20 in wheels don't have much sidewall, so minimal compliance. The short sidewalls may help with handling on paved roads, but the weight of that rig off road will probably tear up just about any tire in that size. I think OP needs a Load Range E (minimum) on smaller diameter wheels (like 17s if they will clear the brake calipers). I am not pimping for Toyos, but I think new wheels would be more important than the choice of tire.

jkilgore11

Adventurer
Then I suspect there is something else going on here. I am running 35" Toyo AT-IIs on a quad Cab Power Wagon and nothing is getting chewed up. I am not as heavy as OPs rig, but I have a cab high camper and lots of gear in the truck, so dry weight is north of 8500. My theory is that the problem is not the tires but the wheels. 295-60s on 20 in wheels don't have much sidewall, so minimal compliance. The short sidewalls may help with handling on paved roads, but the weight of that rig off road will probably tear up just about any tire in that size. I think OP needs a Load Range E (minimum) on smaller diameter wheels (like 17s if they will clear the brake calipers). I am not pimping for Toyos, but I think new wheels would be more important than the choice of tire.

I agree. A 295 on a 20" wheel doesn't leave much room for sidewall compliance or the ability to air down much. I am currently running 305 BFG KO2's load range E on 18" wheels. It has been a good combo for me so far, but my F250 with FWC is around 10,000lbs. My buddy has had great results with 35" Toyo AT-2's on 20" wheels on his F350 and Lance camper. The weight is around 12,000 and seems to have the ability to air down somewhat since they camp on the beach on a regular basis. The Toyo's will probably be my next tire if I am not satisfied with the KO's for the long run.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
The tires you currently have are some of the best all terrain tires you can buy.

Theyre probably chunking because of all the gravel you drive on. Any tire will chunk if it lives life on gravel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Just FYI a mud and snow M/S rating does not mean mud tire. A mud tire will pretty much by definition be mud and snow rated, however all seasons are too.

Most true mud tires are really bad in the snow (on the street anyway) due to a fraction of biting edges in the tire lugs. And most M/S tires are pretty crappy at everything.

But to the OP, a heavy rig on lots of gravel will chew up any tire. BFG KO2 are super popular. I have the original KO version and they hold up well. Probably my next tire.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have had a lot of BFG ATs and AT/KOs, including the set that came as original equipment on my Power Wagon. They just don't seem to be the right tire for my kind of use on heavy vehicles. I have had tread separations and nasty front end shimmy with BFGs, but never had that problem with BFG ATs on lighter trucks. I switched to Toyos about ten years ago and like them a lot. Also have Nittos on another truck and they are just fine. OP's description might lead him/her to a set of Michelin LTXs on 18s. I'd also think that going to a truck tire rather than a P-Metric might be helpful.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have had a lot of BFG ATs and AT/KOs, including the set that came as original equipment on my Power Wagon. They just don't seem to be the right tire for my kind of use on heavy vehicles. I have had tread separations and nasty front end shimmy with BFGs, but never had that problem with BFG ATs on lighter trucks. I switched to Toyos about ten years ago and like them a lot. Also have Nittos on another truck and they are just fine. OP's description might lead him/her to a set of Michelin LTXs on 18s. I'd also think that going to a truck tire rather than a P-Metric might be helpful.
Exactly my friend's experience with 315-70-17's on his Dodge 3500 qclb w/utility bed. The truck weighs 10.5K#. He's had total tread separation twice aired down in Baja. He gets them for a great price and gambles with his family's safety.
I had terrible luck with KO's on my 24v and switched to Toyo products without any issues since on two trucks. Nitto's got the Ridge Grappler coming out soon.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I run Toyo muds on 17 inch rims without a problem. I am not a rock crawler but I do put some serious weight on the truck. Like previously mentioned maybe a smaller rim is the ticket. I hope this helps. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior