Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW Benz Military Truck

Default NEW Benz Military Truck

The Zetros was just unveiled this week.

From Autoblog.com:

Mercedes-Benz chose the International Defense Exhibition Eurosatory 2008 in Paris, a show we don't normally attend, to introduce their new Zetros truck. The model pictured above is the Zetros 2733 A 6x6, offering permanent all-wheel-drive to all three axles and the ability to haul nearly 10 tons of equipment and supplies. If you just don't have that much stuff, Mercedes also offers the Zetros 1833 A 4x4, a two-axle derivative with a reduced load capacity. Both versions offer go-anywhere capabilities with exemplary off-road manners and the ability to be upgraded with state-of-the art armor for protection against mine and ballistic attack. While you'd expect the Zetros to handle like a wet noodle, the German automaker insists the Zetros has been designed with the driver in mind, adding "...the ideal seating position behind the front axle delivers intuitive car-like handling."

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...-truck/879864/
    Carl
    -The Belafonte - Ambulance buildup - SOLD
    -The Cargo Condo - Trailer Build
    -2007 Tacoma TRD - Adventure toy and DD

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader
    Nice find! Here's what the Zetros with two axles looks like

Not a small vehicle by any measurement, but the Zetros models will fit in a C130 Hercules.

They appear to be comparable in size to a Oshkosh MTVR. Wonder if we'll be seeing these in 25 yrs or so with campers on the back?
    Carl
    -The Belafonte - Ambulance buildup - SOLD
    -The Cargo Condo - Trailer Build
    -2007 Tacoma TRD - Adventure toy and DD

Its a nice truck but it has some strange choices.. like gear reduction boxes at the wheels but it doesn't have portal axles - its some sort of axial drive reduction box.

Rob
    You don't inherit the world from your parents, you borrow it from your children.
    --------
    1979 Unimog 416 Expedition Camper
    1974 Unimog 421
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Double Cab, Cummins Turbo Diesel
    2006 25' Airstream International CCD
    2009 Harley Davidson

Sugarloaf, Boulder, CO

So will this be available for military sales only, or will it become a commercial platform as well? Can't imagine the cost if it is available to the civilian sector. I like the look of it, don't know that much about the mechanicals, but it is defiantly cool looking..
    ~Scott T.
    '95 D-90 ST
    '06 BMW X5 3.0i
    '96 Discovery (Now gone, but missed)
    '89 Pathfinder built to wheel (Gone but not forgotten)
    '00 Miata SE

[__,[____],
    [---[:O==O:]
    ()) ())-o---))

"If you're not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!"

Quote Originally Posted by Best4x4xfar
    So will this be available for military sales only, or will it become a commercial platform as well? Can't imagine the cost if it is available to the civilian sector. I like the look of it, don't know that much about the mechanicals, but it is defiantly cool looking..
    There's a good writeup in Jane's Military Vehicles, 2004-5 under S-series trucks.
    It uses 900 series engines (standard Mercedes medium duty truck), a choice of 9-16 spd manual transmissions with Mercedes electropneumatic control or Allison automatic, Mercedes transfer case. The axles are the ones used in 4X4 Actros trucks, not the Unimog. CTIS and tires up to 16.00R20 are options. It uses standard Mercedes electronics with the STAR diagnostic system. So basically it's an Actros with different body, beefed up frame and 926 engine. And some military options like CTIS and deep fording kit.

Charlie
    Last edited by charlieaarons; 01-29-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

but the Zetros models will fit in a C130 Hercules
    That is so good to know, now instead of having to wait for overseas shipping as I travel, I just hire a Herc and get on with travels.
    "Traveling makes one modest-you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world" Flaubert.

do people hire Hercs for that? curiosity makes me wonder how much to pop back home to the UK

Looks intimidating. It probably doesn't have portal axles because it's designed more for cargo capacity and isn't designed for heavy and hard off-roading. There is getting to be much less call for the ability to blaze your own trail in the military, now you'll just build your own road in front of you. I'm just wondering what trucks will look like in twenty years. Just look at the change from the duece-and-a-halves to the HEMTT. The only modern American military trucks with truly impressive ground clearance are the new MRAP trucks.
    2001 Ford Sport-Trac = Stock now, but hopefully not for long.
    Honestly, are there any fullsize trails in mid-Michigan?
    WreckMaster # 060428
    Member of SEMA Action Network

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast