NEW Benz Military Truck

CLynn85

Explorer
The Zetros was just unveiled this week.

From Autoblog.com:

Mercedes-Benz chose the International Defense Exhibition Eurosatory 2008 in Paris, a show we don't normally attend, to introduce their new Zetros truck. The model pictured above is the Zetros 2733 A 6x6, offering permanent all-wheel-drive to all three axles and the ability to haul nearly 10 tons of equipment and supplies. If you just don't have that much stuff, Mercedes also offers the Zetros 1833 A 4x4, a two-axle derivative with a reduced load capacity. Both versions offer go-anywhere capabilities with exemplary off-road manners and the ability to be upgraded with state-of-the art armor for protection against mine and ballistic attack. While you'd expect the Zetros to handle like a wet noodle, the German automaker insists the Zetros has been designed with the driver in mind, adding "...the ideal seating position behind the front axle delivers intuitive car-like handling."

23_mercedes_benz_zetros_off_road_truck_1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mercedes-benz-zetros-off-road-truck/879864/

haven

Expedition Leader
Nice find! Here's what the Zetros with two axles looks like

zetros-1833-2.jpg

zetros-1833-1.jpg

Not a small vehicle by any measurement, but the Zetros models will fit in a C130 Hercules.

CLynn85

Explorer
They appear to be comparable in size to a Oshkosh MTVR. Wonder if we'll be seeing these in 25 yrs or so with campers on the back?

Robthebrit

Explorer
Its a nice truck but it has some strange choices.. like gear reduction boxes at the wheels but it doesn't have portal axles - its some sort of axial drive reduction box.

Rob

LRNAD90

Adventurer
So will this be available for military sales only, or will it become a commercial platform as well? Can't imagine the cost if it is available to the civilian sector. I like the look of it, don't know that much about the mechanicals, but it is defiantly cool looking..

Best4x4xfar said:
So will this be available for military sales only, or will it become a commercial platform as well? Can't imagine the cost if it is available to the civilian sector. I like the look of it, don't know that much about the mechanicals, but it is defiantly cool looking..

There's a good writeup in Jane's Military Vehicles, 2004-5 under S-series trucks.
It uses 900 series engines (standard Mercedes medium duty truck), a choice of 9-16 spd manual transmissions with Mercedes electropneumatic control or Allison automatic, Mercedes transfer case. The axles are the ones used in 4X4 Actros trucks, not the Unimog. CTIS and tires up to 16.00R20 are options. It uses standard Mercedes electronics with the STAR diagnostic system. So basically it's an Actros with different body, beefed up frame and 926 engine. And some military options like CTIS and deep fording kit.

Charlie

Last edited:

Doin_It

Adventurer
but the Zetros models will fit in a C130 Hercules

That is so good to know, now instead of having to wait for overseas shipping as I travel, I just hire a Herc and get on with travels.

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
Looks intimidating. It probably doesn't have portal axles because it's designed more for cargo capacity and isn't designed for heavy and hard off-roading. There is getting to be much less call for the ability to blaze your own trail in the military, now you'll just build your own road in front of you. I'm just wondering what trucks will look like in twenty years. Just look at the change from the duece-and-a-halves to the HEMTT. The only modern American military trucks with truly impressive ground clearance are the new MRAP trucks.

HINO SG

Adventurer
do people hire Hercs for that? curiosity makes me wonder how much to pop back home to the UK

interesting thing is I hear the U.S. Hercs going to and from the Gulf are likely as not to be empty due to payload/range considerations.

300kts cruise and 2000 mile range probaly makes transit difficult enough without trying to haul a lot- cheaper to charter commercial freighters to the region.

I know it's just for fun, butI doubt there are any L-100 charter operators in this country other than in Alaska.

Looks intimidating. It probably doesn't have portal axles because it's designed more for cargo capacity and isn't designed for heavy and hard off-roading. There is getting to be much less call for the ability to blaze your own trail in the military, now you'll just build your own road in front of you. I'm just wondering what trucks will look like in twenty years. Just look at the change from the duece-and-a-halves to the HEMTT. The only modern American military trucks with truly impressive ground clearance are the new MRAP trucks.

Actually I beg to differ. The FMTV vehicles, which are the true replacements for 2.5-5 tons, have very good ground clearance. The HEMTTs are for very heavy loads, replacing 10 ton and greater trucks. HEMTTs may not look like they have good clearance, but stand next to one and then give me your opinion.
Older deuces and so on have skinny bias ply tires in front and skinny dual bias plys in the rear, with no diff locks. The FMTV with big radial singles and diff locks is a quantum improvement.
MRAPs are very heavily loaded for tires and chassis, with all the armor, and would therefore be expected to do poorly offroad. So poorly that they are not desired by troops in Afghanistan, with its' un-improved road system (vs. Iraq's better roads).

Charlie

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
Actually I beg to differ. The FMTV vehicles, which are the true replacements for 2.5-5 tons, have very good ground clearance. The HEMTTs are for very heavy loads, replacing 10 ton and greater trucks. HEMTTs may not look like they have good clearance, but stand next to one and then give me your opinion.
Older deuces and so on have skinny bias ply tires in front and skinny dual bias plys in the rear, with no diff locks. The FMTV with big radial singles and diff locks is a quantum improvement.
MRAPs are very heavily loaded for tires and chassis, with all the armor, and would therefore be expected to do poorly offroad. So poorly that they are not desired by troops in Afghanistan, with its' un-improved road system (vs. Iraq's better roads).

Charlie

Very true. I forgot about the FMTV series. The A2 series of dueces have low ground clearance, but the super singles on the A3 series help the clearance alittle. We own a 5-ton, and I've been up close to a HEMTT before, and I have to say that the clearance is better on the 5-ton than the HEMTT. The problem with the FMTV's is that the chassis has a hard tiem supporting the weight of an up-armor kit, almost to the point of not being able to carry a load of cargo. What I was saying about the MRAP's is their ground clearance, they don't do to good off-road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles