LC or 4R?

cruisertom

Had 4 runner and I was a toyota mechanic thought it would be great. 2" lift and 2"body lift and 285s looked cool. MPG plummeted and sucked off road compared to the lc's I have had stock. Also family of four could go nowhere. Not enough room.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I drove a 5th generation 4Runner from Panama to Arizona, and found it to be an amazing vehicle. Comfort, power, and capability were all excellent. My 100 series was the best overall Land Cruiser I'd owned; but if you're looking for something a bit smaller and more efficient, I wouldn't worry about the strength of the 4Runner.

-H-

Dalko43

Explorer
The LC is the only vehicle left in Toyota's North American lineup that has that rugged-from-the-ground-up bloodline left in it. I do realize we're talking about 100 series, and not a FJ80, but still, when compared to a V6 powered, mini truck based, American built design, it seems to me that the LC has the upper hand.

As everyone else has stated, they are vastly different vehicles, from design concept and build quality, to handling and drivetrain.

I can't let this comment go unchecked.

The 4runner is "american" built? Since when? And its mini-truck based? It's a fully boxed frame made specifically for the 4runner and Toyota's LandCruiser Prado platforms across the globe. I think you're confusing the Tacoma, Tundra/Sequoia lineups with the 4runner...those former models are in fact American-built and predominantly reliant on C-channel frames (which is a conversation unto itself).

OP, the LandCruiser is definitely the model with more cache and heritage. That said, I've extensively driven both the 4th gen and 5th gen 4runners....they are very good vehicles which require little mods out of the box, the 5th gen more so than the 4th gen. If space and towing, and that extra 1% of toughness is what you want, yes go with the the LC 100. If you want a better bargain with nearly the same capability, get the 4runner...let's face it, a 4th gen with a v8 has a lot of what the LC 100 is offering: solid rear axle, IFS, V8 torque, boxed frame. The 4th gen does have more of a car-like feel in stock form, but they do take very well to suspension mods.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Both are great vehicles.

Arktikos

Explorer
.. If you want a better bargain with nearly the same capability, get the 4runner..

Too late. He wanted the LC, he's getting the LC.

BTW, the guy didn't say that the LC was built in N. America, he said it was the only Toyota available in N. America with the right stuff. With this, I beg to disagree. Just because something is more heavy duty doesn't mean it's hands down better, or even likely to be more reliable for that matter.

Dalko43

Explorer
Too late. He wanted the LC, he's getting the LC.

BTW, the guy didn't say that the LC was built in N. America, he said it was the only Toyota available in N. America with the right stuff. With this, I beg to disagree. Just because something is more heavy duty doesn't mean it's hands down better, or even likely to be more reliable for that matter.

Good for the OP. Either way, he is getting a good vehicle.

The post I responded to implied that the 4runner was American built and therefore not as rugged as the LC. I pointed out that the 4runner platform isn't in fact built in America, and that like the LC, it has a fully boxed frame, solid rear axle and optional V8.

freeflight

Had 4 runner and I was a toyota mechanic thought it would be great. 2" lift and 2"body lift and 285s looked cool. MPG plummeted and sucked off road compared to the lc's I have had stock. Also family of four could go nowhere. Not enough room.

4Runner is small compared to LC. How bad was the MPG? What year was your LC?

CSG

Explorer
I run my Lexus LC stock save for having removed the factory running boards and running 265/75/16 KO2 tires instead of the OEM P tires. In mixed driving, I get a steady 15.5 MPG which, to me, is pretty decent MPG for a vehicle like that. I always liked the idea of 4 Runners but ever since I first saw Land Cruisers in the mid-70's after moving to Placerville, CA, I was hooked. My LLC is the only one I've owned (for almost seven years now. BTW, my timing belt service done last year was in the $900 range at our local Toyota dealer.

mdmiked

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, both of the vehicles are going to be extremely reliable. I love my 80, its got lots of space, very offroad capable, and also quite comfortable for long trips. The 4R is probably gonna be a little better on gas and be better on tight trails. They're both great vehicles, really just comes down to what you think you need.

benjrblant

Call me callous, but thinking you can control the longevity of a vehicle by proper maintenance is delusional. Parts fail...or they don't.

So doing things like changing the engine oil before it solidifies into sludge or changing the diff oil before it gets so worn out won't help extend the life of these components? To a degree, some parts may seemingly fail unwarranted, but checking these parts, replacing them and associated consumables/rubber/fluids is the definition of proper maintenance.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
4Runner is small compared to LC. How bad was the MPG? What year was your LC?

16-17-18ish 4runner
14-16 100 series LC
Not mentioned yet the LC handles highway emergency manuvers without going up on 2wheels. Thats the reason I ditched my 4runner after my 2nd close call. My LC J80 was far superior the 100 is even better. Today I run a 06 Sequoia needed more room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne