Cheap generic dual band mobiles?

Rando

Explorer
There have been many threads discussing the inexpensive Baofeng/Wouxon/TYT hand held radios, but not too much discussion of their more recent mobile counter parts. Does anyone have any experience with the various mobile options, for example:
Leixen VV-898
BTech UV-2501
QYT KT8900

I am not a radio enthusiast per se (although I do have a license), so I don't plan on using any of these radios that often and almost never to transmit. However I have found that I use my current Yaesu fairly regularly for listening to NOAA weather radio (162.XX MHz) and occasionally for chatting with friends when out with more than one vehicle. Given this extremely undemanding usage, I was considering going with a much smaller, and cheaper radio for my next vehicle, but wanted to hear opinions on how well these work. I do have a couple of the Baofeng hand held's that I have been pleasantly surprised with.

DaveNay

Adventurer
In my opinion, the price of these radios ($100-$150 USD) has crossed the threshold into the realm of "the inconveniences are not worth the cost savings." The $25 Baofeng UV5-R falls in the "lunch money" category which allows it's deficiencies to be overlooked. A radio that is going to be installed in a vehicle has very different requirements. Once you add in time and effort for wiring as well as antenna costs, you are no longer talking about a throw-away cost. The $150 cost savings doesn't seem worth it to me.

Rando

Explorer
All good points. I did find the VV-898 for $60, which is approaching the lunch money threshold.

In my opinion, the price of these radios ($100-$150 USD) has crossed the threshold into the realm of "the inconveniences are not worth the cost savings." The $25 Baofeng UV5-R falls in the "lunch money" category which allows it's deficiencies to be overlooked. A radio that is going to be installed in a vehicle has very different requirements. Once you add in time and effort for wiring as well as antenna costs, you are no longer talking about a throw-away cost. The $150 cost savings doesn't seem worth it to me.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I haven't put any money into the interest, but I really like the look of this compact model (25W)

http://www.miklor.com/COM/Review_UV2501-5001.php

But this one (http://www.miklor.com/COM/Review_UV2501-220.php) has 220. If I had anyone I wanted to talk to on the radio much that was also a ham, I'm thinking 220 would be a neat way to have your own personal band, as I hear 220 is all but dead.

That said, like DaveNay was saying, $120-$150 can get you a darn nice used Yaesu or Kenwood. I've picked up a like new Yaesu 1500M's for about $100-$130. While they are not much on features, they do everything a 2M radio should and are tough as a brick and reliable. (No 70cm though...)

If I had other vehicles I'd probably try some of these out. But with just the one daily driver, there is a limit to how many radios I can have in there before it goes too far....

18nb7qjui7n41jpg.jpg

prerunner1982

Adventurer
I did find the VV-898 for $60, which is approaching the lunch money threshold.

That is likely the 10w unit, not much better than an HT with an external antenna.

Also the Btech 2501 doesn't have an external speaker jack if I remember correctly, though you could add one. The KT-9800 likely doesn't either but I don't know for sure. Not a big deal if you aren't going to use an external speaker, but I have to with all my radios as there is just too much noise in the Jeep (tires, wind, exhaust, etc).

CGS

Observer
I would recommend at least a 25w unit. The real usable difference between 25 and even 75 watts (mobile) isn't as much as you would think.

With that said, there are some good options in the dual band range. Most dual banders have a detachable face which in today's vehicles makes a huge difference.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Your life may depend on a radio that no one in their right mind would buy. Look them up on eHam or google for reviews. None of those brands is worth anything of value.

Find a used Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu as all are cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rando

Explorer
I wouldn't trust my life to any ham radio. I have a sat phone for that. My usage is primarily for listening to NOAA weather radio and occasional car to car convoy talking - which is why I am considering a smaller, cheaper, low power radio. The reviews of these seem to be mixed, but often not horrible.

Your life may depend on a radio that no one in their right mind would buy. Look them up on eHam or google for reviews. None of those brands is worth anything of value.

Find a used Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu as all are cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThreeEyedBandit

Never trust only having one source of communication if needed it, ever.

BTW, I wouldn't trust my life with a sat phone(no idea on service or provider). Twice while helping at different desert races when help was needed there was no service on the sat phone(open desert), luckily the ham came through. Was our main source of communication for 4 days at a time.

I wouldn't trust my life to any ham radio. I have a sat phone for that. My usage is primarily for listening to NOAA weather radio and occasional car to car convoy talking - which is why I am considering a smaller, cheaper, low power radio. The reviews of these seem to be mixed, but often not horrible.

You can buy brand new 50+W 2M radios with a decent antenna for well under $200.

Last edited:

Rando

Explorer
Agree on a single communications - that is why I also have a cell phone.

I understand the argument about not relying on one of these cheapo radios - which I don't plan on doing. I still would be interested to hear from anyone who actually has experience with one of these radios. I know some people are using them as I got the idea from the 'pictures of your set up' thread.

As an aside, I am guessing the sat phone you were using was a globalstar phone, and it was during globalstars dark days when their S-band transponders died, and the phones only worked 5 mins out of the hour. In a professional setting I regularly rely on (2) iridium sat phones while out in the deep field - and I am talking deep field, like the Ross Ice Shelf.

Never trust only having one source of communication if needed it, ever.

BTW, I wouldn't trust my life with a sat phone(no idea on service or provider). Twice while helping at different desert races when help was needed there was no service on the sat phone(open desert), luckily the ham came through. Was our main source of communication for 4 days at a time.

You can buy brand new 50+W 2M radios with a decent antenna for well under $200.

ThreeEyedBandit

Excellent info, thanks!!

As an aside, I am guessing the sat phone you were using was a globalstar phone, and it was during globalstars dark days when their S-band transponders died, and the phones only worked 5 mins out of the hour. In a professional setting I regularly rely on (2) iridium sat phones while out in the deep field - and I am talking deep field, like the Ross Ice Shelf.

I wish I had more info on the cheap-o radios, want to try one out for a Digipeater but the Google has very mixed reviews. If you end up with one let us all know how it turns out, unless others chime in.

Ross ice shelf, based out of McMurdo? I have a good friend that heads down there every year for the summer, along with that one full year stint. Sounds like quite an adventure down there!

wirenut

Adventurer
I have a friend who bought one of the Chinese triple band mobiles. I'm not sure which one. After the third one failed he decided to quit bothering to send them back for replacement.
I don't see any savings in a buying a $150 radio of dubious/ unknown quality and origin when you can buy a Yaesu, Icom, or Alinco for about $280 to $300.
I've hear the "if it breaks you just throw it away and buy another." To which I say "What if it breaks when you're in the middle of nowhere and need it to work?"

offero

Desert rat
I bought a Jetstream JT270M for use as a loaner radio on camping trips. It is dual-band and has a max output of 10 watts, which in my case is ideal. The case is solid and the connectors and stuff seem good. The interface and buttons are way crazy and don't make a whole lot of sense (which seems to be a common theme on these cheap radios!). Sensitivity has been good on the receive side and transmit sounds just fine.

A few of my buddies liked the little radio and asked for their own, so I bought the Leixen VV-898 variety. These proved a bit painful to program and I was afraid that the interface would be confusing for my wheeling-camping buddies. Hence, I returned those.

Instead, I bought the BTech UV-2501 3rd Generation radios. RF power is a bit higher than the Jetstream JT270/Leixen VV-898. Also, BTech—a US importer—has its own warranty and has improved the interface a bit, which for me is important. Transmit sounds just fine in my tests and receive is sensitive and clear.

These UV-2501 from BTech (there are other models from various Chinese manufacturers without the goodies… I can't speak to those) are decent little dual-band 25 watt radios for the money and when they're back in stock, I think I'm going to pick one up as a loaner to replace the Jetstream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne