My first Toyota

NODNARB

Observer
So, after building a 4Runner for a customer a while ago, I really liked it... Wound up selling our broncoII to get one. Goal is either Longtravel up front or just some bolt in coilovers and upper arms, and OME coils in the rear with bolt in King shocks. It's a '98 limited with 230k miles, e-locker, 4wd, auto trans. Hoping to get to 300k before it dies...
It has almost new 285's on it already and I paid $4k.
Hoping to be able to semi comfortably sleep inside it while camping/exploring.

196065eff686e4878632c4862207d431.jpg

NODNARB

Observer
Only 300k! You will get many more then that I'm sure!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If that happens, great! Are even the auto trannies lasting that long? If so, that's amazing coming from mostly chevy's and fords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drewsifer

Observer
So, after building a 4Runner for a customer a while ago, I really liked it... Wound up selling our broncoII to get one. Goal is either Longtravel up front or just some bolt in coilovers and upper arms, and OME coils in the rear with bolt in King shocks. It's a '98 limited with 230k miles, e-locker, 4wd, auto trans. Hoping to get to 300k before it dies...
It has almost new 285's on it already and I paid $4k.
Hoping to be able to semi comfortably sleep inside it while camping/exploring.

Good choice my friend. King makes an awesome shock but be careful when paring it with a OME coil. If I remember right, those rear kings are only good for about 1.5" of lift.
-Drew

Dalko43

Explorer
Nice 4runner OP. 300k might be pushing it, but based on how little you paid for it, it might be a good candidate for an engine rebuild or swapping in another engine all together. Doesn't sound like you're there yet as you have at least a bit more mileage to wring out of it.

NODNARB

Observer
Good choice my friend. King makes an awesome shock but be careful when paring it with a OME coil. If I remember right, those rear kings are only good for about 1.5" of lift.
-Drew

The Kings we did in the customer's truck went all the way to axle on frame bump and dropped out to the point of the coils going slack, so we machines spacers to top the shocks out early and added straps for peace of mind.

I got my ome coils in, one inch taller than the previous truck we worked on, so I'm hoping they get full travel without needing to limit it.

0bc1cfbf7386a51fe566649caf55006d.jpg

NODNARB

Observer
Thanks! I'm doing the rear shocks now, got some old uh... Company before icon coilovers up front. Will build some uniball upper arms next weekend hopefully. Then I'm done with suspension for this season I think. I want to use this more than I work on it.

MandAtaco

Observer
Thanks! I'm doing the rear shocks now, got some old uh... Company before icon coilovers up front. Will build some uniball upper arms next weekend hopefully. Then I'm done with suspension for this season I think. I want to use this more than I work on it.

LOL, are we not supposed to say their name anymore? I've got a set of those "ones before Icon" on mine too!

Nice rig man, love the 3rd gens!

NODNARB

Observer
LOL, are we not supposed to say their name anymore? I've got a set of those "ones before Icon" on mine too!

Nice rig man, love the 3rd gens!

Hahaha, I'm not proud of em, but I picked them up for a steal! Going Longtravel eventually so these will do for about a year.

NODNARB

Observer
09854b51903fcd7d7eef0e01a66c972f.jpg

Finished up the rear shocks before dinner. Sometimes bolt in is a nice thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz