Costa Rica - Nomad America 4x4 rental

whiskeytacos

Observer
Has anyone used this company before? Their website is awesome and it seems insane what you're getting for the money.

http://www.nomadamerica.com/

My wife and I went to Costa Rica over New Years in 2014/15 and loved it so much we want to explore the whole country by vehicle and off road. After we completed our 10k mile overland/road trip this past winter, our thirst for adventure remains insatiable.

This company seems like a great way to hop right into an overland adventure without spending the many thousands of dollars it would cost just to get ourselves and our Tacoma down to CR and then go on to more exploring. Thoughts? I think if we do this next year, I'll go full out and rent us a Defender. I've always wanted to play around in one.

JohnC

Observer
Has anyone used this company before? Their website is awesome and it seems insane what you're getting for the money.

http://www.nomadamerica.com/

My wife and I went to Costa Rica over New Years in 2014/15 and loved it so much we want to explore the whole country by vehicle and off road. After we completed our 10k mile overland/road trip this past winter, our thirst for adventure remains insatiable.

This company seems like a great way to hop right into an overland adventure without spending the many thousands of dollars it would cost just to get ourselves and our Tacoma down to CR and then go on to more exploring. Thoughts? I think if we do this next year, I'll go full out and rent us a Defender. I've always wanted to play around in one.
Thanks for sharing! We went to CR a few years ago also and loved it. I would also rent a D110 next time.

Pura Vida!!!!

hmmar

Observer
I have spend my time on 4x4 car hire in South Africa trip with my two friends. I was a really great time for me in my last year. That was awesome and great time which I had enjoyed with him and I had spend here lots of time with travel experience.

bugeye1257

Observer
This seems like an awesome way to get around! My Fiance and I are currently planning our honey moon to Costa Rica and this would be a great alternative for a few days :)

Nomad America

Hey Whiskey tacos!

Just stumbled on this post while narcissistically searching ourselves :) Did you ever manage to make it down to Costa Rica again?
Let me know if I can help out with anything at all.

We now have apart from the Defenders Toyota Hilux, Toyota FJ Cruisers, Toyota Prado Land Cruisers (2-door), Toyota Fortuners, and Nissan Xterra for you to come try out :) all fully camping equipped + rooftop tent.

Please let me know if this post style (company acknowledging its a company) is not allowed on this forum and i'll delete it right away.

Pura Vida!

whiskeytacos

Observer
Hey Whiskey tacos!

Just stumbled on this post while narcissistically searching ourselves :) Did you ever manage to make it down to Costa Rica again?
Let me know if I can help out with anything at all.

We now have apart from the Defenders Toyota Hilux, Toyota FJ Cruisers, Toyota Prado Land Cruisers (2-door), Toyota Fortuners, and Nissan Xterra for you to come try out :) all fully camping equipped + rooftop tent.

Please let me know if this post style (company acknowledging its a company) is not allowed on this forum and i'll delete it right away.

Pura Vida!

Hey there! We haven't made it back down yet, but we're hoping for a trip next winter. 2016 was an expensive year for us, and it's really strange to have zero planned trips thus far in 2017.

rcharrette

Adventurer
We are sitting at a hotel in LA right now. Flying out to Liberia, CR tomorrow AM and Nomad America is delivering the Defender 110 to us there. We have it for 5 days heading down the coast to Malpias and back to Tamarindo. I'll let you all know how it goes!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Wow $10.00 a day for a fridge on top of the rental price. Can't go without but they kind of force you to rent if you really want to get out and away without going for ice everyday for that cheap $20.00 cooler they provide.

whiskeytacos

Observer
We are sitting at a hotel in LA right now. Flying out to Liberia, CR tomorrow AM and Nomad America is delivering the Defender 110 to us there. We have it for 5 days heading down the coast to Malpias and back to Tamarindo. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Awesome! I hope you take the jungle roads from Malpais to Montezuma, I did that on an ATV and it was a blast. Can't wait to hear about your trip.

rcharrette

Adventurer
@whiskkeytacos, I just did a quick search for "jungle road, malpias to montazuma" and got nothing. Do you have any info on it? Our truck gets delivered in 2 hrs :)
Thanks,
Randy

whiskeytacos

Observer
@whiskkeytacos, I just did a quick search for "jungle road, malpias to montazuma" and got nothing. Do you have any info on it? Our truck gets delivered in 2 hrs :)
Thanks,
Randy

There should be a few places you can grab a map, but it might actually be the only road that goes from Malpais to Montezuma. I believe you start at the big intersection between Malpais and Santa Teresa and you end near the Montezuma waterfalls. Happy traveling!

rcharrette

Adventurer
There should be a few places you can grab a map, but it might actually be the only road that goes from Malpais to Montezuma. I believe you start at the big intersection between Malpais and Santa Teresa and you end near the Montezuma waterfalls. Happy traveling!

Cool, the more I looked I thought it might be "THE road" to Montezuma
Here we go!
c1ba3226966fc1ddfa29071d95b873ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcharrette

Adventurer
WOW!

Just finished up our 6 days with the Defender 110 from Nomad America and we are all smiling ear to ear. Fabio the owner of Nomad America met us in Liberia (where we flew in) with the truck loaded with all camping gear and a local cell phone loaded with helpful apps including Ioverlander for camping spots. The truck, an 2005 Defender 110 was SWEET and ran like a champ. I'm in love :)
We beach camped (dispersed) 3 nights and grabbed a room for 2 nights in the middle of the trip to clean up and enjoy some AC.
I'm working on a video but here are a few pics.

Attachments

• IMGP7614IMG_6536_final.jpg.jpg
    IMGP7614IMG_6536_final.jpg.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP7644IMG_6536_final.jpg.jpg
    IMGP7644IMG_6536_final.jpg.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMGP7628IMG_6536_final.jpg.jpg
    IMGP7628IMG_6536_final.jpg.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

whiskeytacos

Observer
That's absolutely fantastic. I can't wait until next winter to do the same.

I'm so glad you and your family had a great time. I actually plan on teaching my wife how to drive stick in one of their Defenders since both of our cars (2013 Subaru Impreza and 2014 Toyota Tacoma) are automatics.

Thanks for the update and review on Nomad America. I'm stoked to explore Costa Rica again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste