Dodge 4x4 RV

Brougham78

Hey guys! long time lurker, first time poster. I am about to take ownership of my first adventure rig!

It is a 1980 Brougham RV that is built on a 1978 dodge 1 ton chassis with a big block 440.
PO has out a lot into the drivetrain and mechanics of the car and left the cosmetics untouched. He has replaced: Radiotor and hoses, batteries, tires, exhaust, distributor, altenator, a few suspension components, custom welded bumpers. There is more that I can not rememeber right now possibly due to excitment... The PO was converting it to a mobile office for his company (oil field I think) and only wanted what he had put into it so I got a deal!

I have searched the depths of the internet and have not found any other Brougham models or even dodge chassis rv models that are 4x4 from the factory so that makes this rig pretty unique but hard to source insights/tips/tricks. Im assuming that since its built on a dodge that parts wont be too difficult.

RVVAN.2.jpg

I am picking it up from oklahoma and taking it back down to texas labor day weekend and will be able to provide some better pictures and explanations then.

Has anyone seen other 4x4 class C RV's like this?

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I've seen Dodge class c rvs of this era in 4x4 before but they are few and far between and it's been a while since I've seen one.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
This is a beauty! Google Scotty Serro- These were class C rvs build on Dodge trucks. I happen to have one built on the 96 4x4 cummins 3500 chassis. I think what you have is technically a class B +

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That's a cool platform. I'm being serious now, I like how the rust on the front bumper matches the graphics. Maybe you should build a Rat-Rod-RV.

MTAA

Adventurer
I checked into having an old dodge RV I used to have converted to 4x4 and was told it was difficult & expensive due to the front end set up. I never pursued it any further. Am interested to see what you find out. I looked at quite a few of those Broughams around the midwest and like the interiors!

Ghostyman

Observer
It's after Labor Day... did you make it?

I am very interested in the 4x4 setup. I've got a '73 Dodge Class C, along with two B series vans that I'd really like to convert. If you have any info on the parts, or maybe some pics of the underside, it would be appreciated.

Brougham78

Guys I made it back!!! This thing drove 4 hours saturday and 5 hours sunday without a hiccup from the engine. I had some wierd mini-death wobbles at low speeds (20mph-30mph) but has no problems at high speeds. Sketchy I know... This thing ran 65-70 the whole way home. I think we averaged about 10mpg in the 50 gal tank!

So the 4x4 info! I found a stamp on the door panel stating it was installed by advanced four wheel drive systems in Salt Lake city UT way back in 1990. It appears to be a dana 60 old school style. There is a ton of paper work coming with this as the two PO kept every reciept. In the paper work its shows that the transfer case was replaced in '07, and the trans was rebuilt in '09
IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

I Called the company that put in the 4x4 and they are still in businness (good sign?) they were going to look into service records and part #s so I can figure out what axle it is... There is a lot of slop in the steering system so Im going to be looking at tie rods, but ive heard this happening due to king pin bearings or leaf spring bushings as well. Any help on this would be great.

The second thing on the list to sort out is sealing up the cab over seams/seal as the PO was in the process of this and left it pretty much unscrewed... we had to ratchet strap it down to make it home. Im planning on re-fiberglassing the lip since its holes have ripped out. seamholeslong.JPG
The rubber seal that was underneath it is unlike one I have seen on an RV and seems more like the seal to an openable hatch like on boats caboverseal.JPG because it has a compression bulb seal... Judging by the number holes in the lip I am guessing this might have been an attempt at resealing it from PO. I am not sure what would make the best seal here. I have found an exact replacement seal on Grainger but Im not sure if this is the going to be the best method.

Other than those things this rig is awesome. The PO is adamint about the mileage being original and it matches up with reciepts back to 1995(22,000) 2003(28,000) This thing only has 40,000 miles on it unless they rolled it over prior to that.

Grill.jpg
backcab.jpg bit of a blank slate inside to work with but the captains chairs have been reapolstered with tan leather
IMG_1481.jpg
gas1.jpg
gas2.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That front lip is calling out for some reinforcement. A thin piece of aluminum to sandwich the fiberglass to the top of the cab would help to repair that section.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Great rig. You've got a full frame under there, unlike all Dodge vans since 1971. Only the C class have them.

The Advanced 4x4 conversion is the same as on my 1984 B350. It's a Dana 44 front axle with leaf springs. The most slop to be rid of is in the spring bushings. Mine was so bad that it got the death wobble at low speed hitting potholes. I cut mine out with a reciprocating saw. The only place for exact bushings was Advanced. Randy shipped them to me at a fair price. Grease them up real goopy and put them back together with moderate tightness. You want all the parts to pivot easily, but without any slop or squeaking.

Brake parts are all the same for those axles regardless of whose name is on the fender. I just order parts for a year newer 3/4 ton GM 4x4 like a Suburban (K20?). Rotors, bearings, and seals all fit. Randy will walk you through the steering parts while you are under it. I've never bothered him for that info although he has offered.

The steering box is factory.

Transfer case is a New Process 208 part time case. Purists won't like it because its aluminum and has a chain, but I put a rebuilt unit in ($700 ish) and it's been great. It uses automatic transmission fluid not gear oil. The shifter linkage didn't have enough throw to put the unit in 4 low. I didn't need to swap the transfer case after all. The linkage setup is an Advanced piece.

The front crossmember is custom from them as well. Note how little travel there is in the front end by looking at the distance between the top of the front axle and the rubber jounce blocks. Maybe 3 inches with fresh spring bushings.

It'll be a gas pig with the 440. No two ways around that.

I just swapped in a 1993 computer controlled Magnum 5.2L into mine with an overdrive transmission. NIGHT and day difference. Easy swap too. Bolts in. New transmission crossmember was the only real fabrication required. Even the computer wiring was straightforward.

Please post some pictures of the frame rail to body mount intersections. I've got some ideas for another project.

Enjoy it!

Gavin

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Great rig. You've got a full frame under there, unlike all Dodge vans since 1971. Only the C class have them.

The Advanced 4x4 conversion is the same as on my 1984 B350. It's a Dana 44 front axle with leaf springs. The most slop to be rid of is in the spring bushings. Mine was so bad that it got the death wobble at low speed hitting potholes. I cut mine out with a reciprocating saw. The only place for exact bushings was Advanced. Randy shipped them to me at a fair price. Grease them up real goopy and put them back together with moderate tightness. You want all the parts to pivot easily, but without any slop or squeaking.

Brake parts are all the same for those axles regardless of whose name is on the fender. I just order parts for a year newer 3/4 ton GM 4x4 like a Suburban (K20?). Rotors, bearings, and seals all fit. Randy will walk you through the steering parts while you are under it. I've never bothered him for that info although he has offered.

Gavin
"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Brougham78's front axle is a D60F. If you zoom in on his pic, you can see the 60F stamped on the web.
IMG_1482a.jpg

It *should* share parts with similar vintage Chevy (K30) and Dodge (W350) 1 ton trucks, but I'd match parts up to be sure. Fords (F350) of that vintage had driver side drop axles, and Chevy and Dodge were passenger side, so who knows what the upfitter spec'd out for parts. *Most D60 parts from late 70s-late 80s will swap, but there are some differences.

That bulb seal is looks like typical RV trim molding/crap. I agree with Papawheelie, that could use some reinforcement like aluminum trim and some new sealant.

Cool rig. Check everywhere for evidence of water leaks, rotten wood, and/or mold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior