Trailer build starting point?

JPaul

Observer
I found this trailer near me that I am interested in, but I'm trying to decide if it's even going to be worth looking at (it's only about 40 minutes away but if it's not worth it at all that'd be over an hour and a half of my time wasted). I tried finding info about this particular type online but came up empty.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=40957335&cat=&lpid=&search=army trailer&ad_cid=1

It's only $150 but it's basically just the frame, axle, tires and wheels. And apparently the tires will need to be replaced at a minimum. It used to hold a water pump on it apparently. From the pictures it looks to me like it has a torsion axle. The frame looks pretty sturdy, though I'm quite certain the draw bar got bent at some point, so I'd either need to straighten it out or replace it. Not a big deal to me.

I'm thinking it'd be a good base to start with for building my own offroading trailer. My only concerns are the axle really, I have no knowledge about how good those torsion axles will be, and if I'd have to replace them right off the bat or not. The tires will add some cost as well, and I might want to replace the wheels while I am at it, and possibly the hubs too (or at least get some adapters so that I can use H3 wheels).

I'm also considering building my own frame, but I know that would definitely cost more than $150 for all that. So it really depends on whether or not this trailer will give me a good enough start or not. Thoughts?

Martyinco

Adventurer
Not a bad starting point at all, as long as thats just surface rust and nothing cancerous. But for 150 it is kind of hard to pass up, even with having to buy new tires.

kdj

Observer
I just started down the path of a trailer build. I found what looked like a good starting point @ about $150 and purchased it. Turns out it was going to require more mods to get it the way I wanted it that I just ended up cutting out what steel I could reuse and stared new. If you have access to a welder I would recomend just building it the way you want it. spend more time planing want you want and build what you want.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
With title it would be worth it. Without, walk away. In short, you are getting a $150 frame that will, at the bare minimum, need to be refurbished. I am also not buying that it was an old Army trailer. It looks like someone raided a junkyard and cobbled together something that resembles a trailer. The only thing Army about it is the wheel & tire combo.

b63215b

Adventurer
In Michigan its very easy to plate a trailer if its homemade. Just need reciepts for all materials and certified weight from a scale and pay $75. Id assume you would change the trailer enough in the build to not be a problem.

I was actually surprised it was that easy for me. Good luck but check your states laws and rules.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
I wouldn't bother with it. Build the frame how you want. Do it once and do it right. If you take that one you will make sacrifices given the constraints you are given. In the long run will a hundred or 2 matter given you get exactly what you want.

JPaul

Observer
I posted this on another forum I am on and also got opinions that it isn't really a military trailer, and I think everyone is right on that.

For small trailers here Utah you only need to title and register it if the trailer weighs more than 750 pounds. I'm not entirely sure if that is just the trailer itself or if they include anything (semi-)permanently mounted on/in it (batteries, tanks, tents, etc).

Registering a custom built trailer doesn't seem to be too much effort, just have to provide reciepts for the parts used and how it was built, photos, etc.

I'm not sure how much the average custom "jeep trailer" weighs, but I'm thinking it's probably less than 750? Not something I've really looked at yet, but probably ought to.

But I'm thinking that trailer just won't be worth it, it's clearly been abused and I've learned the hard way that trailers like that are often in much worse shape than the pictures reveal.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

PCO6

Adventurer
I've built trailers from scratch as well as picked up ones inexpensively and modified them to suit my needs. If you're buying a project trailer take your time and something will usually turn up. In fact I bought one yesterday that will be the base for a tear drop project. For $200 and a 45 minute drive I couldn't go wrong. It's pictured below. I built the one that is right side up and towed by my Jeep from scratch about 5 years ago. The blue one that's upside down in the trailer will be a good project starter. I'll build the axle and suspension the way I want it. Disregard the blue axle and wheels. I'll be cutting off the 4"x4" tubes and will be turning them along with the axle and wheels into the base of a garden tractor trailer. I basically got 2 project starters for 1!

picture.php

Registering home made trailers in Ontario is ridiculously easy - TOO easy. Basically tell the Ministry of Transportation office what you built, roughly what it weighs and what colour it is. No design drawings, material list, build details, lighting plan, photos, etc. are required. For $25 you will receive an ownership and licence plate that are good for the life of the trailer. I will register the blue trailer later today ... BEFORE I even start the project!

Here is another one that I picked up for $200 a few years ago ...
picture.php

And here's what I've turned it into ...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/148123-PCO6-s-Trailer-Build

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior