1989 Jayco pop-up

tj welch

Hey folks. I am a new member here have been reading the forum alot lately and decided I should probably join the group to hopefully get some much needed advise. To make a long story short I got a great deal on an older Jayco pop-up it had a couple of minor issues that I have already taken care of but my main concern now is the jack system. It had the 3 brackets 2 on one side one 1 on the other and tripod Reico jacks, I sold the jacks because well they just didn't work for my application. I bought some hydraulics and put them in the existing brackets 2 on one side and 1 on the other.. I do not recommend this by the way. I was able to get it off my truck and lets just say I am glad I had stands under it when I started to let it down it became SUPER unstable and started to tip. It ended up tearing out the one bracket on the single side. I am taking all 3 of those brackets off and want to install the jacks on all 4 corners. Does anyone happen to know what the frame work on this camper is like? I am hoping to just get the correct corner brackets and screw them in to the frame like most all the others I see. Is there enough meat to screw into or should I add more support? Thanks for reading my rant I have been killing myself working on this thing and just want to be able to get it to where we can start exploring.

UHAULER

Explorer
I would try and find out where the wood is, the size and the condition. Maybe drill into the corners where you want to mount the new jacks and see how solid and how thick the wood is. You could also get some tripod style jacks.

tj welch

I would try and find out where the wood is, the size and the condition. Maybe drill into the corners where you want to mount the new jacks and see how solid and how thick the wood is. You could also get some tripod style jacks.

I had the tripods but with the camper being so small when the tripods are on the ground they open up and are under my tires about 10".

tj welch

Thank you for the response. The link did show me some structure that I was looking for! I am going to start this project in the morning. Gonna go with corner brackets all 4 corners and use the hydraulics I picked up. I also had a buddy at a local sheet metal shop prefab some skirting for me so I can cover the hole from the old Bracket and also going to re skin the front underneath the cab over. The wood is all in good condition but when it tipped over it kinda mangled some of the skin. I can't wait to get this done and load it back up and hit the road. Again thank you all for the help and I will post some pics when I get this completed!

Cheers

tj welch

Alright so the for corner jacks are installed. The camper is solid! These campers are build a lot better than I thought there was plenty of wood in the corners for 8-2" lags per bracket! Thanks for the replies guys. If I could figure out how to add pics I would post them of the other fix ups that we did. Super stoked and almost ready to hit the road again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne