Self Rescue / When all else fails...

Reconnoiter

My schedule makes it very tough to plan trips with other people. Consequently, I do a lot of trips without another vehicle along. Several times, I've been in situations where either a mechanical or electrical problem has made progress impossible, with no cell service. For life threatening situations, I have satellite coms, but as a former SAR member, I don't consider getting stranded an emergency. Once, in the Rockies, we had to hike out 6 hours, above tree line, in an electrical storm.

So, all that being said, I wanted a way to get back to civilization (faster than walking), when I can across this rig (see photo).

The only problem for me is that the Rokon is too long to tuck in behind a ZJ. I want something lightweight (<200lbs), short (<67"), off-road capable with racks for cargo.

Does anyone have any experience with the Honda Motra?

Attachments

• 521c277b3622422905b39568750606e8.jpg
    521c277b3622422905b39568750606e8.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Motra.jpg
    Motra.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Wilbah

Adventurer
I am not familiar with them and don't think something that is that rare would be either easy to come by or easy to find parts for (last made in the early 80's right?).

What about getting a 100 or 125 and beefing up the suspension for weight. This is a "get home" bike so the trails would be ones you had already crossed in the ZJ so it's not like it would have to have insane off road capabilities and instead would be for hauling you and a friend out (if I read your premise correctly). And if your friend had to walk a hairy section for a short bit it wouldn't be a significant issue.

And a 100 or 125 should be able to do that relatively easily, parts more easily gotten and would still be less than 200 lbs. Just a thought.

blackwood

Adventurer
Try a Motoped. Some sort of bicycle moped.

http://motoped.com

Weight: 123lbs wet with a standard 49cc motor, Wheelbase: 52”

motoped-survival-bike.jpg

If you intend to install your own engine in a MOTOPED® kit, most horizontal E-22 (Honda style) engines up to 155cc will fit the MOTOPED® frame bolt pattern. Please note, all engines must comply with state and federal guidelines. Engines must comply with EPA & ARB certification where applicable. International market check your local government agency.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im working on two CT90s right now.

The one for us, is for exactly the purposed discussed, among other things.

IMG_1976.jpg

One on the left is mine, is a '71, and has the pivoting handlebar setup.
Also, if you look close, its also got a Lifan 125CC, and is going to be 100% 12V. I even treated it to a custom LED lead-light upgrade
It should be pretty fun, and will ride on the back of the camper, serving various roles.

One on the right is for my folks, is a 69, fixed handle bars, and is set up with a traditional dual-range 90CC honda. Nothing super special about it, but it will basically be a 100% new bike when done.

Both will be fitted with "buddy" seats and pegs, for hauling two idiots around at the same time

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Rokon is only 218 lbs, but 6'7" long. I used to carry a mountain bike on my F-150 but I was 25 yrs younger. But sure beats walking,
and on most back roads is faster than a truck anyhow. I'm looking very seriously at a Rokon right now

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I didnt know they came with a 49CC

Just checked the specs, they are still nearly 200#

Where are they hiding all that weight? Even my 125CC swapped CT90 will be right at 200# wet

And if you want power, ans electricaly assisted mountain bike.

My first thought was like yours but the limiting factor is you are limited by recharging a battery and by battery life. Gas powered is probably best for reliability and range for emergency use imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin108

Explorer
Why go to all the trouble of adding another machine when you can just add a backpack and some accessories to walk out at your leisure? Weighing in the risk of severe mechanical injury from a 2-wheeler, walking out is probably the safest bet.

Lucky j

Explorer
My first thought was like yours but the limiting factor is you are limited by recharging a battery and by battery life. Gas powered is probably best for reliability and range for emergency use imho.

The purpose of it is more assistance more then full pure power.hellp on the way up-hill, partial recharge on the way down and to go get help. Not to do many trips home to bring every body back. And two of then would be lighter then i single motor bike.

Bit it is just an idea. ;)

cruiserpilot

Adventurer

You can still pedal an electric bike if the battery is dead.

EMrider

Explorer
I'd go with a mountain bike and panniers or a well stocked backpack. Many motorized options add too much unsprung weight and complexity.

The Honda trail 70 may be a viable option at about 150 pounds. There are many of them still around.

R

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Im working on two CT90s right now.

The one for us, is for exactly the purposed discussed, among other things.

IMG_1976.jpg

One on the left is mine, is a '71, and has the pivoting handlebar setup.
Also, if you look close, its also got a Lifan 125CC, and is going to be 100% 12V. I even treated it to a custom LED lead-light upgrade
It should be pretty fun, and will ride on the back of the camper, serving various roles.

One on the right is for my folks, is a 69, fixed handle bars, and is set up with a traditional dual-range 90CC honda. Nothing super special about it, but it will basically be a 100% new bike when done.

Both will be fitted with "buddy" seats and pegs, for hauling two idiots around at the same time
Those are going to be awesome :)
I have a couple "lifeboats". The TW200 for long range and loaded, or a Paratrooper when traveling light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles