ultra slow 2001 Jeep Tj build

greenknight

Hi everybody
I've been lurking for awhile and finally decided to make an account and share my plans with you guys.

This is me and my fathers (went halfsies on it) 01 Tj sport, 2.5 with the 5 speed, nothing crazy. Its currently sitting on JK rubicon take offs with a minor budget boost.

Right now I'm planning a trip to the UP for next summer and I really want to take the jeep so right now any mods are going to focus on long range driveability and storage,as ,many of you know the non unlimited Tjs have jack for storage.

As she sits right now (also brownie points to those who can ID the building in the back round :elkgrin: )
jeep.jpg

Currently planned mods are:
Re gear to 4.56s due the 32 inch tires
Swing away rear bumper
winch
Cargo rack

the regear and swing away carrier are currently on the top of the list

Any input will be much appreciated, thank you ladies and gents

jswift716

Adventurer
I was about to ask why 4.56s with 32s, but then I remembered 2.5l, what is your over all end game? If your plans for the rig mean your going to need stronger axles anyways save the couple hundred on re gearing now and just build the better axles. Convenience and instant gratification gets expensive trust me

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

greenknight

Current plans are go no bigger than the current wheels and tires on it and only do light off roading. Its more of the nice day daily than anything, and with no heavy wheeling in the plans, long range comfort is my concern. Not busting axles.

But that being said, if I come across a good deal on a dana 44 or a Ford 8.8, I'll be all over it.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
storage would be bumped up to the top of my list. with a TJ 2 door, ROOF RACK is a must! Looks perfect other than that!

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
storage would be bumped up to the top of my list. with a TJ 2 door, ROOF RACK is a must! Looks perfect other than that!

Agreed, roof rack is a big must. Regret not getting mine sooner. It'll do wonders for storage and clearing what miniscule space the TJ already had.

I would say 32s are a great move, really good daily drive/weekend warrior combo for someone who still wants capability without sacrificing drivability and mpg. Although you have the Dana 35 rear end, I wouldn't be too concerned about it considering you aren't exceeding its limits or hardcore wheeling.

Other than that, good start. Always nice to see another TJ around here:)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
my buddy had 33's on his 2.5 tj and 2.5l, for years and wheeled it hard with no ill effects. Good to go! just maintain it and get out there.!

greenknight

Thanks for the kind words guys

jscusmcvet
Swing away is for
A: Taking stress off the tailgate,even though it can support a 32
B:Add rear recovery points

Also the rubicon take offs are a little for the factory mount.

cvanhook

Good looking jeep! That would be the NMUSAF in the background, curious to know how you got out on the old runways behind the museum ?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Thanks for the kind words guys

jscusmcvet
Swing away is for
A: Taking stress off the tailgate,even though it can support a 32
B:Add rear recovery points

Also the rubicon take offs are a little for the factory mount.

Got it. Recovery points are a must for sure. Try to pick up the extra bracing for mounting the rear bumper, it'll help keep that bumper where it is supposed to be. I was just talking with my son and he is semi on the hunt for another TJ and wants to set it up much like you are doing. We are both big fans of the 4 cyl... it is one durable little engine.

greenknight

clutch and bearing locked up in the A/C compressor, waiting on a by pass pully

Figures right when the weather is perfect for topless driving

greenknight

update
A/C bypass is on and shes back on the road

new bumper installed last night.

I'll hopefully be starting a new job in the next month meaning either
A More money for parts
B. Maybe a few months put a down payment on an LJ

I don't know yet but, anyway thanks for looking everybody, I'll upload pictures tomorrow.

greenknight

We're still alive
Got the top buttoned up last weekend

Also I had to head south for an event I swung into the smokies, along with everyone from Florida :squint:
But it was worth the extra two hours on my drive

IMG_1972[1].jpg
IMG_1939[1].jpg

I just wish I had a better camera

Anyway, no word on the job front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles