GPS needed for WABDR any ideas?

dieselninja

Before it starts...yes I have searched. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about what I am reading to learn anything. Basically I would like to drive the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route, and someday a variation of the Great Divide. I have ordered the Butler maps, but would like to take advantage of a GPS to backup my poor navigational skills. I would love to keep the cost under $600 if possible. Not sure if I can get away with a handheld version or if it needs to be hard mounted to the truck. Any Ideas?

OR what do you have that would work?

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
So what do you have in the way of mobile devices? Do you own an iPad, android tablet, or smartphone?

Personally I like to keep a dedicated GPS around, but for what it sounds like you are planning, I'd probably just use my tablet. If you already have something of that sort, lets start there and see if you even need to buy any new hardware.

dieselninja

I have a non wifi 2nd generation iPad and an iPhone. I think I can use my phone as a hotspot for the iPad. Not sure how the Cascade Range is for cell service. Is there a particular app I can get?

1Louder

Explorer
I have a non wifi 2nd generation iPad and an iPhone. I think I can use my phone as a hotspot for the iPad. Not sure how the Cascade Range is for cell service. Is there a particular app I can get?

You would need to purchase a Bluetooth GPS device like a Dual GPS or Bad ELF. My recommended app is GAIA. It's $20 and IMHO the best out there. Others disagree. You can predownload the tracks and maps for the trip so you don't need any cell coverage. USFS Raster maps are the best when available. Not all areas of the country have them.

Have fun.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Yep what 1Louder said, all you need is a Bluetooth GPS, no need for buying something else with a screen. So how do you like under $60 as opposed to under $600?

My recommended app is GAIA. It's $20 and IMHO the best out there. Others disagree.

Well, I wouldn't say I completely disagree, I don't have GAIA but I have HEMA Explorer and everyone has told me it's the same thing. I don't like it all that well, but there are some things about it I like, probably a matter of preference or experience using it in a real world setting. I can use it but I don't prefer it to try and accurately describe my opinion.

If your kinda new to navigating in general, or just not a big enthusiast, I'd recommend MotionX HD. The user interface is less cluttered, and is more tailored to use in a vehicle (big buttons you can actually hit with your finger at arms length.)

The map downloading interface is simple, probably not as many options as GAIA and it takes longer to download. (And eats up space if you don't have a lot of internal storage.)

MotionX HD is like $5 if I recall correctly. I say get it, if you really want to dig in deeper get GAIA or HEMA for $20. Compared to the hundreds of dollars I've sunk into specialized GPS units and mapping software over the years before tablets were a thing, buying 2-3 apps to try out feels cheap.

1Louder

Explorer
Yep what 1Louder said, all you need is a Bluetooth GPS, no need for buying something else with a screen. So how do you like under $60 as opposed to under $600?

Well, I wouldn't say I completely disagree, I don't have GAIA but I have HEMA Explorer and everyone has told me it's the same thing. I don't like it all that well, but there are some things about it I like, probably a matter of preference or experience using it in a real world setting. I can use it but I don't prefer it to try and accurately describe my opinion.

Same engine. Different maps. Big discussion on the Hema thread and I will leave it at that. Hema licensed Gaia code for now and it may change down the road. Gaia's out of box map offerings are second to none.

Like ANY software take the time to learn how to use it. Gaia has a small learning curve. Some folks might say it is a huge learning curve BUT if you go to the help site and read up you CAN learn how to use the software. It's very powerful. MotionX is a good cheap app. I don't like the maps in it. They are a pain to download as well compared to GAIA. However, if I want to use my phone as a backup and even use a different app instead of say, Gaia, to record a track. Motion X works great. I don't rely on it for maps though.

Gaia also just did a big update. When "hand" drawing a route in the app if you choose Vehicle mode the route will snap to the road you are drawing over. While it is not 100% perfect it is now a big time saver as it does seem to draw on top of most of the forest roads I have tried it with. Again learn how to use the tool. All of these apps are very powerful.

In Summary:
Use Tablet with a Bluetooth GPS. Or you can use your phone as your device. Phone will not work as a GPS unit for the tablet.

Get good software - You can easily do a search on this. All of these apps have been discussed many times over

Learn how to use said software
- Learn how to import and export tracks
- Learn how to record tracks
- Learn how to download maps for offline use so you don't have to a cellular connection

MANY personal preferences for software. I am a "power" user of Gaia. I also own Hema, Delorme Earthmate, Motion-X, and probably a few others I am forgetting about. I have tried nearly all of the current apps. My opinions are that. We all have them and mine are free..... :)

dieselninja

You guys are amazing. Exactly what I wanted to know. I will research which map app to get, but I will order a mount for my iPad and Dual Electronics XGPS150A from Amazon tonight.
Thanks !!

verdesardog

Explorer
A simple garmin etrex 10 or 20 will be fine and double for use as a hiking and exploring out of your truck. Will enable you to find your truck after going for a hike. Less than $200

1Louder

Explorer
A simple garmin etrex 10 or 20 will be fine and double for use as a hiking and exploring out of your truck. Will enable you to find your truck after going for a hike. Less than $200

Can you import tracks?
Will an eTrex show topo maps and trail/road information information?
A phone can mark where you are and can return from a hike. I just don't think that is the right tool for the job.

verdesardog

Explorer
Using garmin map source you can add waypoints, tracks and routes.....A phone battery will leave you lost when it runs down.
For maps you need the etrex 20 and get maps for it from gpsfiledepot.com. Much better than garmin maps and FREE!

1Louder

Explorer
Using garmin map source you can add waypoints, tracks and routes.....A phone battery will leave you lost when it runs down.
For maps you need the etrex 20 and get maps for it from gpsfiledepot.com. Much better than garmin maps and FREE!

Any device battery can die. That's why I carry a solar charger and other backup battery.

You cannot compare the ease of reading a tablet screen while driving to that of an eTrex. Even a larger phone screen is much easier.

Quality apps make it very easy to download maps for the tracks you import. In Gaia it literally is a click of a button. Import the track, display the track and choose download maps for track. I have found tracks and downloaded maps while using free wifi in McDonalds, visitor centers and elsewhere. No need for a computer and cable to search and then import maps while traveling.

Here's a write up on Gaia with a few screenshots, http://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/navigation-app-choice-gaia-gps/
The USFS Raster Maps (when available) are the best for offroading.

27177630242_b63dffa1dd_b.jpg

In this screenshot I am plotting a route. The newest version of the app has made this even better. If you choose Mode of Vehicle it will try to snap your waypoints to the road/trail shape. This saves time and requires less points.

It's great that you find the eTrex so useful. I have a Delorme InReach that I can use while hiking and while it does not have mapping capability, unless you pair it with a tablet or phone, it can plot a point along with a basic track line to find your starting point.

We can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

1Louder

Explorer
looking at any screen WHILE DRIVING is a big no no in my book......

What if my co-pilot is doing all of the navigating? Nobody said you have to be doing 80 at the same time...... if you want to stop, stop.... Still easier to read.... now back to you! :)

Airmapper

Inactive Member
looking at any screen WHILE DRIVING is a big no no in my book......

Using that logic I bet you have to stop to check your speedometer...matter of fact some vehicles have replaced the entire instrument cluster with screens. If you can't drive and keep meaningful tabs on your location via a suitably mounted screen, I question the safety of you sharing the road with others.

No one has suggested planning routes or doing work on the device while underway. You need to use common sense, but sadly that is in short supply these days.

As for tablet vs. standalone GPS, I firmly believe you should have both. The standalone GPS need not be a complex unit, but you should have one. A dedicated GPS unit is a key tool to have in case a more complex device has issues. I can read a paper map and I believe I could find my way to civilization with one, and I generally carry paper maps with me in some form. But 2 units is still a good way to go, that way if something does go wrong, your not back to basics immediately. Even a simple, non mapping GPS will provide valuable info, like your precise location you can transfer to a paper map. With a desired way point entered, you can tell if you are making good decisions sooner.

On my last trip, I had a dash mounted Tablet and Garmin running together. Stowed I had a handheld mapping GPS of an older vintage (still a fine unit) and a Delorme Gazetteer. One thing I did not plan to be, was lost. In my case my older equipment hangs around as backups in case the new stuff goes bonkers.

It's like packing things to start a fire. You can carry a small blowtorch if you like, works great and can get a fire going fast. But you'd be an idiot not to keep a Bic lighter and a pack of matches handy. If your torch runs out of gas, no sense having to go all the way back to rubbing sticks together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles