Good Expedition Trailer for a CJ5?

jazk

Hey Guys,

So i'm looking into these expedition trailers. Companies like Turtleback, HEO, or MORV trailers, but since i've got a Jeep CJ5, size and weight is a big issue. I think my maximum recommended tow load is 1700 pounds. I'm looking for a RTT trailer with enough stowage capacity for a possible cross country trip. I've got a strong 4.2L 258 engine with a TBI conversion, but in the end, its still just a inline 6. The last thing I want to do is to be overheating while i'm going up the Appalachian Trail at 5mph. Also some of these trailers are almost as big as my Jeep. What's kind of trailer would be a good fit for a CJ5?

Any help or trailer recommendations is much appreciated!

Cheers!

Josh

PCO6

Adventurer
Ditto this. Five hundred pounds empty w/500# cross country payload rating, and frankly, if you need 500 lbs of camping crap in your trailer something might be wrong. :)
500 lbs of camping crap ... plus spare Jeep parts? (lol)

1Louder

Explorer
A Turtleback with gear will be over 1700 lbs. Not sure about the Weekender model. With that limitation some type of M416 trailer/clone would be the way to go. My DIY trailer which is similar to a Turtleback is around 2350 when packed with as much gear as possible and 32 gallons of water. The Expedition model Turtleback is a bit lighter but over your limitation. I pull my trailer with no issues with my V6 FJ Cruiser.

653e7f3980ea2333db8ddd7cefd280fb.jpg

Perfect, I wouldn't tow anything heavier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greg_Volkman

Observer
Ditto on the M100 or M416. Check mine out in my sig (video w/walk around). I have an RTT and solar on it. Perfect for my little TJ.

IMG_8505.jpg

tent.jpg

nl91du.jpg

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Getta TENTRAX--600lbs unloaded and 1200lbs fully loaded-

You can get it with different "LIFT" options--mine is 14" ground clearance and will follow my JKUR ANYWHERE-

I don't see any problem pulling it with a CJ5/TJ/YJ--the owner of TENTRAX takes his TENTRAX over the RUBICON every year(Well did several years ago)-with his TJ-

Super trailer, Mine is over 8 years old and/w mods carries my TEPUI RTT and chain saw/camping equip./chairs/solar panel/table/airtent--variable camping gear=
maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20037_zpsfhubmd7o.jpg

Can't beatem-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

ocblaze

It's great to see more CJ5 owners on here! I've got a S10 long bed turned into a trailer that weighs 1180 lbs. empty that I have used with my CJ5 to tow about 240 miles twice. It's super slow and probably around 1400 lbs with my spare parts, tools, and camping gear. I am in the planning stages to build a 4'x6' trailer that'll weigh around 300 lbs. and be much more manageable while being towed by my CJ5! I would build the trailer light, strong, and waterproof!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 28

SnowDozerCJ5

The m416 is great and the civilian version by bantam has a tail gate but no parking brakes. My m416 was pulled by a 4cyl 87 s10 from NY to MO without issues and countless times behind my equinox and ranger it fels good the 2 runs behind the CJ5 but my transmission went pop for other reasons. My trailer has more miles than my jeep since I have owned the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior