Super Shovel by Krazy Beaver

Gizzard Stone

Overlander
Well guys, ridiculous or not, he can't make them fast enough. Yes, I own one, and I even paid more for a limited edition color. Ha! I'm not sure what kind of tires you guys are running, but there is no damn way that is going through my side wall. The shovel is awesome, or I'm just a sucker for a fantastic marketing campaign...Either way who gives a damn, I love it!! View attachment 363261

Yeah, not sure how it would go through a side wall or radiator unless you are EXTREMELY strong and bad with a shovel. Either way, I never expected "Overkill" and "Too Expensive" to be such major detractors in the overlanding world. I though those and "increases wind drag" were the top three requirements for gear selection.

-M

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I've seen that kind of shovel edge before (not that brand) and I know it's a good design. Just not sure what benefit it provides. Looks like a marketing gimmick - kudos to the business owner for running with it!

I used to carry a small scale shovel with a plastic D-handle and that got used once (plastic wasn't rigid when shoveling sand). I bought a lightweight full-length non-wood handle rounded shovel. Best $15.00 I ever spent on a tool for off roading.

Someone mentioned Kobalt shovels. Nope. We've purchased a couple of them for work and they aren't getting used as they're the heaviest shovels ever lifted. Feels like it's got a full shovel of gravel on it when unladen.

My advice (FWIW and it didn't cost anything so that's what it's worth): buy a long handled shovel with a rounded end. Home Depot has plenty of choices including this one for $26.00

13315968-9590-40a5-b63e-13aa6e5dd743_1000.jpg

If you wanted a short handled shovel I'd buy a long handled wood shovel (full size) and cut the handle to preferred length.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
If you wanted a short handled shovel I'd buy a long handled wood shovel (full size) and cut the handle to preferred length.
Better to just buy a quality D-handle spade with a steel and wood or fiberglass grip. I carry one of those and a full-size garden hoe for pulling sand/snow/mud out from under the truck. The hoe is way better than the shovel in the desert (most of the time).

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Honestly a shovel is designed for scooping already loose dirt anyway. For anything that a regular shovel can't get through you should be using a Mattock to loosen up the hardpack.
http://amzn.to/2fQH0je

If you can only have 1 tool a regular D-Handle spade shovel is best. But if you're being thorough and prepared for anything (and that's most of us to a T), your pioneer kit should have a Mattock for breaking up the ground, Axe for chopping through logs or roots, and Shovel for moving it all out once its broken up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier