I Finally got my Gen 3...Now have some questions

2to4wheels

Adventurer
This is an exciting post for me since I've lurked so long here and have been patiently searching for a Gen 3 and at last, I'm excited to introduce to you my find. It's a 2 owner, 2006 Limited w/140K miles in Carbon Gray. Both owners have have maintained the vehicle quite well with detailed service records. Regular oil changes, and wear and tear items...oddly enough, not timing belt so that is #1 on the priority list. I would put the physical condition as an 8 for a 10 year old car with just minor scratches, no real dings at all, and leather is in pretty good shape...oh, and no rust at all! Oh and it has pretty new AT3s as an added bonus but I will say they are quite a bit noisier than Hankook ATMs that I had on a previous truck.

So here are the things that I need help with that will need to be addressed.

1. Timing belt (and associated parts) need to get done soon. Plan on tackling this with my brother and was wondering if there is a sticky or somewhere I can get OEM part numbers for everything I need and also the best place to buy from.

2. The power antenna is busted...motors sounds like it works but no mast exists. Whats the best way to remedy this? Can I replace this with a short, fixed antenna and dump the motor? From what I've read, it's not easy to get to though...

3. Rear A/C blows air, but not cold air. Where do I start to troubleshoot?

4. I am thinking about going with seat covers to preserve the leather from my kid who has already been kicking the back of the passenger seat. Any suggestions as to where to get decent, cost-effective covers?

PICS https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=SVJKWFBHV1NjUVQyaE1Dc01IZ3BMakxsMHZfdklR

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The power antenna is busted...motors sounds like it works but no mast exists. Whats the best way to remedy this?

I ordered an OEM replacement and was able to install the new mast without digging into the wheel well.
Remove the bezel.
With the radio powered, offer the end of the new mast into the hole and have someone power down the radio.
The new mast will load into the motor.

I installed a switch that controls the power to the mast. Now it only operates when I want.
First, pull the radio and identify the power supply to your mast.
Next, splice into the wire and run it through a switch (I used a low profile rocker switch and mounted it in the recessed area below the ignition side of the dash).
Finally, test and then reinstall the radio.
HTH

2to4wheels

Adventurer
I ordered an OEM replacement and was able to install the new mast without digging into the wheel well.
Remove the bezel.
With the radio powered, offer the end of the new mast into the hole and have someone power down the radio.
The new mast will load into the motor.

I installed a switch that controls the power to the mast. Now it only operates when I want.
First, pull the radio and identify the power supply to your mast.
Next, splice into the wire and run it through a switch (I used a low profile rocker switch and mounted it in the recessed area below the ignition side of the dash).
Finally, test and then reinstall the radio.
HTH

Thanks...will give it a go.

KyleT

Explorer
The Aussie spec pajeros have a 3 position antenna switch. Up, half and retracted. I wish I could find one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Nice Ride!

Good things do come to those who wait.

I use RC Hill Mitsubishi, you can place online orders, and if you can't find the part, call them, get the part number, then go back online to get the discount. They have always been fast and helpful. I've compared and often find them most competitive on OEM.

http://www.rchillmitsubishi.com/parts/order-form-2.htm

For my timing belt kit, I used the Rock Auto Aisin kit. It did not have an OEM Mitsu belt but had the Mitsuboshi belt, which makes OEM for many Japanese makes. Koyo idler, Koyo adjuster, and of course Aisin water pump are Mitsu OEM.

Oh, and no thanks needed, "It's fun spending other people's money..." Welcome to the Gen3 club!

Last edited:

Milky2k

I'm getting ready to do the timing belt too. I think you should also change the upper and lower radiator hoses and thermostat while you are at it. Do a full drain and flush of your cooling system and never have to think about it again. Rock auto has them for about $30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94