Dogs traveling in camper?

andy_b

Does anyone travel with their dogs in the camper? I tried looking around to see if this has been discussed, but there were so many threads that discussed "dogs" and "campers," it was a little overwhelming.

So does anyone do this (assuming the weather isn't too hot, etc)?

Motafinga

Adventurer
Are you asking if anyone travels with their dogs in a camper while going down the road or??? My dog goes everywhere with me in my rig but travels up in the cab while on the road.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Are you talking like a bumper pull, 5th wheel, truck camper?

Have you ever ridden in one traveling down the highway? I have and I can tell you I wouldn't subject my pups to that no way. And the things are built out of card board and tissue paper, folding like a house of cards in any serious accident.

I've read stories of peopling claiming their dogs just LOVE being in their crates and riding in the garage of their toy haulers and it's my not so humble opinion they're A) deluding themselves to make it "O.K.", B) plain full of crap, C) all the above.

When I take my dogs to the vet they will drag me to get in the door and I know for a fact they hate being there.

I've traveled from Ohio, to Florida, to Maine, to as far west Colorado, pulling a 41' 5th wheel with a CC dually hauling 4 people, a Golden Retriever and a Weimaraner in the cab.

If you care anything about your dogs well being, both mental and physical, you won't force them to ride back in a camper. It's loud, most likely rougher than you think, and not much fun at all.

poncho62

Any trailer, no way........A truck camper, maybe. As long as there is an open window between cab and camper.

This thread kind of brings up another item. A lot of people say it is dangerous for Fido to even be loose in the cab.......they say in case of an accident, the air bag deploying can kill them, they could get ejected etc........I have an extra cab in my truck, dog rides loose in the back seat.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
One dog owner had his pooch take a header out a side window of his camper on the highway last yr. He said she survived, but suggested they not be left unrestrained in the camper if they ride back there. Harness and teather to keep them in their bed etc.

andy_b

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I meant having them ride in the popup camper, not a trailer. Right now, they ride in the cab, but it is cramped for everyone in our old Toyota pickup.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sorry I wasn't more clear, I meant having them ride in the popup camper, not a trailer. Right now, they ride in the cab, but it is cramped for everyone in our old Toyota pickup.
As mentioned an fwc owner had his dog roll out of a side window. Harness them so they stay on the floor in a bed and your ok. Free run of the camper isnt recommended.

nobueno

Our two st Bernards ride in the camper because there physically isn't room for them in the cab with us. We have one of those remote thermometers so we can watch the temps and we open the front slider and fantastic fan. Wife has ridden in the back to check it out and it was alright. They chill on the floor the whole time and are fine with it. I can assure you they won't be falling out any of our windows ;)

gsanders

Observer
We have 2 dogs that ride in our Phoenix pop-up with absolutely no problems. Temperature is fine, the side window on the Phoenix is a louver style so I keep it open with no problems. We check on them regularly and I keep an eye on them in my rearview. The noise is no different than when they ride under my canopy in the truck bed. Regarding accidents, having them unrestrained in the cab is as bad or potentially worse in an accident.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I was considering a dog. There will be times that the dog would be left in the camper alone, (with water and ventilation of course). One thing I fear is someone trying to be a hero and breaking my window to rescue a dog that does not need rescuing. Any thoughts on that? Does anyone leave their pets in the camper for errands, etc?

OCD Overland

Explorer
Search youtube for 'dog crash test'.

Never ever in a trailer or topper. Those things disintegrate in an accident. If someone rear ends you, their car isn't stopping until it hits your tow ball.

Inside the car -

Best: a very strong and securely fastened crate just big enough for your dog to be comfortable. Even better if you can provide padding in the crate or padding between the crate and whatever it's going to hit. If you have a really small dog, then they make some crash tested carriers that seem to work well.

Next best: a certified harness that has been crash tested. Most harnesses are useless in an accident and possibly dangerous.

Don't care about your dog/psychopath: just hope he doesn't hit you in the head on his way out the windshield.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I was considering a dog. There will be times that the dog would be left in the camper alone, (with water and ventilation of course). One thing I fear is someone trying to be a hero and breaking my window to rescue a dog that does not need rescuing. Any thoughts on that? Does anyone leave their pets in the camper for errands, etc?

We always kept a sign on the door stating that there were dogs inside, along with contact info in case of trouble. Never had an issue, but even at that if we were someplace we were going to be well removed from said camper for any significant length of time, with no relatively quick way back, they went to a local kennel. Generally checked out ahead of time.

Campers, even with windows open and a decent breeze, can get roasting really freakin quick. Especially if they're taking any sun. My Weim is epileptic so anything high stress we try to avoid because it seems to be a trigger. Roasting in an aluminum box, funny enough, seems to be fairly stressful. At least for me. :)

dtimms

Observer
Our dog rides in the camper. No room up front. Open windows and lay down a comfy bed. We have left him in while running errands or skiing. Always leave water and food. Use common sense on that one. If you are in a hot place a cracked window and water won't cut it. In the summer, I stay in the high country so it never gets that hot. In the fall we go to the desert and those trips we are more cautious about him staying in the camper. Usually pop the awning and tie him up in the shade for bike rides. But he always rides in the camper on road trips

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior