A domestic "Outlier": Trailblazer?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Still have the Mazda for sale and casually looking around for a replacement. One that has popped up on my radar recently has been the Chevy Trailblazer.

Seems odd that this isn't a more popular choice - they're as common as weeds around here. Once I started looking into them I saw them everywhere.

On paper they seem impressive: An I-6 with 275hp/275tq in a ~4600lb curb weight actually beats the V8 4runner. Rated towing capacity is 6200lb. :Wow1:

(as a side note - isn't it funny how the I-6 has all but disappeared in light truck applications when it used to be one of the most common setups around? In recent years only Jeep has stuck with the I-6 4.0 and then the Trailblazer came along with its 4.2l I-6. I once read that the I-6 configuration is one of the smoothest designs that an engine could have, can't remember the source of that though.)

For my DD purposes, the lack of a manual transmission option puts it to the back of the line :mad: but that's just a quirk of mine. For someone looking for a nice, low priced ExPo vehicle I think you could do a lot worse.

I think we have a couple of TrailBlazer folks here on ExPo. I know there's virtually zero aftermarket, but wondering whether lifts are available? I'm assuming it has a torsion bar front suspension and live axle with a 5 link in the back, similar to the Suburban/Tahoe.

So what are the thoughts of the Trailblazer for a DD/light expo vehicle?

lt1fire

Adventurer
For a light wheeler/DD/expo rig I personally think the Trailblazer is a great option.

That I6 is one of the best and most reliable engines out there.

Not much aftermarket support but nothing a someone with fab skills couldn't get around.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I have a friend that had the GMC version: the Envoy. He loved it until he got rear ended on I-25 and totaled it. Had close to 200k miles. We had just gone through the front end and replaced a bunch of stuff too.

Now he drives another I-6. A BMW 3 series.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
A friend had one here in the northeast. It was a bit unwieldy on trails (poor ground clearance) and seemed to not hold up very well. I think it might be a decent dirt road cruiser or boat tow rig but anything that required articulation or ground clearance would be above its durability level.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If the Trailblazer is interesting to you, then check out James Downing's superb Trailblazer build over here on Expo. He also runs a site dedicated to modifying the Trailblazer, offroadtb.com

Yeah, I figured somebody here must have one so I did a forum search and that one turned up (plus one other.) Very interesting.

I can't tell from the pictures, but the front end almost looks like a coilover. Was it coilover or T-bar on the front suspension?

The lack of aftermarket is a bit of a circular thing: There's little aftermarket because they aren't purchased for modification and they aren't purchased for modification because there's little aftermarket.

Seems like Chevy dropped them in 2010 or so as part of the overall automotive trend away from mid-sized Body-on-frame SUVs in favor of unibody crossovers. Which actually makes sense - the Trailblazer seems really "over built" for a grocery getter (which is what makes me wonder why they aren't more popular with the off road crowd.)

I also wonder if maybe GM realized that the Trailblazer and Envoy - especially the extended versions (which are hideously ugly IMO) - were so close in size to the Tahoe that every Trailblazer sold was a lost opportunity to sell a more profitable Tahoe.

Quick question: Was the 4.2 I-6 used in any other vehicles? Seems odd to me that as committed as Chevy is to using the hell out of some of their engines (5.3 V8 and 4.3 V6 in particular) that they'd make an engine that only sits in one platform.

Also I know these were introduced about the same time as the Colorado/Canyon, but do they share any parts? They have a generally similar appearance but I had thought they were totally different platforms. I know the Colorado/Canyon only had either the I-5 or V-8 (5.3 I'm assuming?) for engines.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
My understanding is that there are so many differences between the Colorado (355) platform and the Trailblazer (360) were so different that you would be lucky to interchange the gill bowties on them. (slight exaggeration).

As you've noticed, manual transmission was not available.

Colorado/Canyon (first gen) did have a 4 cyl (2.5L) available. The 5.3 didn't show up until 2009 model.

I've forgotten your parameters for the DD but the S10-based Blazer was still around until 2005 (as a 4 door) and you might be able to find one of those although I expect the manual tranny will be much harder to find. While we were running errands today, I spotted a 4 door for sale at the end of a farmer's driveway.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've forgotten your parameters for the DD but the S10-based Blazer was still around until 2005 (as a 4 door) and you might be able to find one of those although I expect the manual tranny will be much harder to find. While we were running errands today, I spotted a 4 door for sale at the end of a farmer's driveway.

Every S-10 Blazer I've seen with a manual has been the 2 door model and I'd prefer 4 doors. Same thing I'm finding with Explorers, although 4 door manual transmission explorers do exist in reality - they're not common though.

There may have been a 4 door Blazer with a MT but I've never seen one for sale.

The 4.3 V6 has a pretty good reputation, doesn't it? I know lots of Jeep guys use the 4.3 when they're building a buggy.

I might be interested in a 4 door blazer with the 4.3 and a manual. Having said that, the Trailblazer seems more robust in every way.

bdp1978

Adventurer
James and Hardtrailz on here both have really solid builds on them and offroadtb will give you enough info to read for days. Those guys all love their TB's. I used to be a member years ago until I sold my TB.

****ty pic of mine.

hankooks2.jpg

The engine and trans are VERY solid on the Trailblazers....about as reliable as you can get. My TB ate Water pumps, fan clutches, and wheel bearings like crazy. Once I lifted it I had numerous issues with the half shafts and front diff seals etc.

Regardless, I went back to Jeeps and real trucks and am happy with my choices and overall for DD and Expo duties I think you're better served with a Grand Cherokee etc. The TB is a very solid driver though and they will go 300k miles without a doubt.

Last edited:

Ironhide Fx4

Observer
I have an 07 trailblazer. I thought about building it up but after all the research and lack of proper parts I gave up on it. The whole platform is not customize friendly. Like bdp1978 said, once you change things slightly they go quick. Mine is completely stock and I have gone through several wheel bearings but that's it. Had the steering pump rot out but that was due to age and years of winter driving on salted roads. I think its a great 4wd for a small get around reliable SUV. My f150 just does everything better for my needs.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
overall for DD and Expo duties I think you're better served with a Grand Cherokee etc. The TB is a very solid driver though and they will go 300k miles without a doubt.
I briefly considered Grand Cherokees but I very quickly discovered that anything in my price range had extremely high miles and/or was thrashed. I think the problem with Grands is that, like 1st gen 4runners, as soon as they move out of the "soccer mom" market they are immediately seized upon by the "modifiers" (who presumably value WJ for its solid front axle.) This does two things: It drives up the price and it ensures that there are very few unmolested examples out there.
The lack of aftermarket on the TB is a bit of a blessing for me since it means that there are lots of "soccer mom mobiles" out there that have never seen the dirt and are still in decent shape - basically, the modifiers don't want them (which keeps the price down as well.) The same is true of the R50 Pathfinder.
Since this would be mostly a DD and backup trailer tug, I might even consider the Buick, Olds and even Saab (!) variants of the TB, even though I know they have single speed AWD transfer cases.

bdp1978

Adventurer
I take it your trying to stay under $5g's?

You can find clean unmolested WJ's with the V8 and around 100,000 miles for under $5g's all day. I mean, even the newest Trailblazer is 10 yrs old now.

Sounds like you are set on getting the trailblazer or variant. You can find a lot of the Saabs with the 5.3's.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I take it your trying to stay under $5g's?

Under $4k is my goal but I'm a little bit flexible on that.

You can find clean unmolested WJ's with the V8 and around 100,000 miles for under $5g's all day. I mean, even the newest Trailblazer is 10 yrs old now.

Well I already have one V8, don't really need another one for my DD and back up tow vehicle. And finding a WJ in that price range that's not thrashed is tough around here - maybe it's different where you live but here in CO every teenager or 20-something kid wants a WJ to put on 37s or 44s and turn into a trail monster. It's tough to find one in my price range that hasn't had a bad encounter with a sawzall or super high miles.

EDITED TO ADD: Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5760849573.html

In case the link disappears, it's an '04 Grand with the V8 for $3500. Great deal, right? Oh, except it has 269k on it. Um, and then there's this:

Needs engine work , it has a blown head gasket & needs engine work. It is not running and will need to be towed.

Yeah, so $3500 for extremely high miles and a blown engine. That's the Jeep market here in CO in a nutshell. ;)

Of course, that's just one example - there are others out there that are in my price range so I may check them out. As I said, I really don't want/need another V8 and that's going to limit my options WRT the Grand. One is plenty.

EDITED AGAIN: I'm going to start another topic over in the Jeep section about WJs.... :sombrero:

Last edited:

bdp1978

Adventurer
Agree, location plays a big part. Jeeps are plentiful around the greater Detroit area and they dont go wheeling with them.

The kids here are in the middle of the "Diesel" revolution. Lot of BroDozers rolling coal like a$$holes. 10yr old F250's with 200k on them are still $15-17 grand! Haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94