LR3/4 Prospeed or Front RunnerLadder

Anyone have a Prospeed ladder for a Disco 3/4 installed or laying around that they can send me some pictures of? I am trying to see the difference in mounting design compared to the Front Runner. I am asking because I plan to have some things on my rear rack and would like to know the mounting options of the ladders to avoid any interference and/or damage to ladder, door, or rack.

I'll take pictures of both if any members can constribute.

Requesting detailed pictures of the upper and lower mounting configurations. Upper is the most critical for my purposes please.

Genuine Ladder

or

Front Runner Ladder

or

Prospeed Ladder

Thanks in advance.

E

FYI, while I love most of the Front Runner stuff and haven't had many issues, the ladder is the exception. It's been about 2 years now and it is rusting pretty badly. To the point where I'm going to need to use a rust stopper/converter on it and then paint it myself. Pretty disappointed in the finish of it. Personally, I don't like the design of the Prospeed... If it's the one I'm thinking of with the wide portion at the bottom, but I don't think I'd buy a Front Runner again.

I appreciate the insight on your experience. I have an FR full rack and love it. I did however replace all of the hardware with stainless steel. In Hawaii rust is a huge problem so prepping and such is key.

If you are able to provide some pictures of your FR ladder, I would be greatly appreciative nonetheless.

Thank you,

E

A.J.M

Explorer
My Prospeed is rusting BADLY as well and it's just over 2 years old.
The powder coating doesn't last, i'm looking at getting it Line X'd now to protect it as the Scottish winters and the salt is killing it.

My Prospeed is rusting BADLY as well and it's just over 2 years old.
The powder coating doesn't last, i'm looking at getting it Line X'd now to protect it as the Scottish winters and the salt is killing it.

Yeah, I am looking to pull my front and rear bumpers to Line-X them. I can see some rust forming at the welds on the front bar and I am doing some custom on the rear for the swing away. I plan to have them both Line-X'd.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I find it interesting that Prospeed, Front Runner, and the Land Rover OEM ladders all rust (my LR ladder showed signs of rust within 12 months). Must be a tough nut being a ladder. Surprised that top brands rust so quickly. I haven't seen a ladder yet with a finish that can tough it out more than 2 years.

I find it interesting that Prospeed, Front Runner, and the Land Rover OEM ladders all rust (my LR ladder showed signs of rust within 12 months). Must be a tough nut being a ladder. Surprised that top brands rust so quickly. I haven't seen a ladder yet with a finish that can tough it out more than 2 years.

Agreed. I'm looking at potentially making my own tie in with my bumper swing outs. Might be stainless brackets and aluminum uprights and rungs. Then powdercoat or Line-X.

I have other things to pay for right now that is why I am looking for best ladder and mounting system on the market now and might settle for a while.

Add Voyager ladder

Thanks Cmb6s, I look forward to hearing the review.

@Timbo, have not heard any reviews but we will add Voyager to the list.

NYCRover

Observer
I just installed the front runner ladder on my '16 LR4. It's a sturdy good looking ladder. However, I did have a slight issue with fitment. The description says the ladder is made with the contour of the rear door in mind, but the ladder I got was a complete pain in the *** to install as it would not sit flush against the door without significant effort. After a ton of effort I finally got it to bolt to the door, but now i have about 1/8 inch gap between the ladder and the plate light assembly in one area.

I scratched some of the paint on the upper latch during install when i was trying to bend the ladder to bolt down, but I doubt paint will scratch as long as the ladder is secure and does not move around. There is a rubber buffer on the foot tread at the top of the ladder that keeps it off the paint though.

I just installed the front runner ladder on my '16 LR4. It's a sturdy good looking ladder. However, I did have a slight issue with fitment. The description says the ladder is made with the contour of the rear door in mind, but the ladder I got was a complete pain in the *** to install as it would not sit flush against the door without significant effort. After a ton of effort I finally got it to bolt to the door, but now i have about 1/8 inch gap between the ladder and the plate light assembly in one area.

I scratched some of the paint on the upper latch during install when i was trying to bend the ladder to bolt down, but I doubt paint will scratch as long as the ladder is secure and does not move around. There is a rubber buffer on the foot tread at the top of the ladder that keeps it off the paint though.

I would hit up Bryan Rush on here. He's the FR USA guru and excellent customer service in my dealings with him. Might be worth a shot but not sure if he'll be able to help you out on that.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I'm planning on buying a FR roof rack and ladder in February. Wonder if there are any mitigation steps prior to installing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94