Hammock idea

deezdrama

Adventurer
In process of building out my 02 e350 interior. Id love a fixed comfortable bed but don't want to loose the space.
Thought about a fold up or removable bed but then seen how some people are just hanging a hammock which I like the idea of. But instead of the regular single point hammock im wondering if anyone has used the kind thats held spread open with a wooden runner on each end?
I would like to use a hammock like this and permanently attaching one end to the side of the rear van wall and then it could be stretched to the other wall (6ft across) and be attached with a u-channel steel bar hook system that I would weld to the reinforced parts of the wall.

I want to be able to remove the bed easily and have room for hauling stuff so this seems like a good option. Just wondering if anyone has done anything similar?
I wonder if I could just use a heavy duty canvas tarp and have someone sew a loop like on a curtain for a steel bar to run through that could be mounted to the wall with hangers.
Any thoughts or anyone tried something similar?

Thanks!

Screenshot_2016-08-29-20-51-03.jpg

Last edited:

Vandit

Observer
Check out the following link. Cole (Expo User Name also "Cole") can make custom sizes and I think I remember him saying at some point that he could make one to fit the E-Series vans. (Maybe he already has) Get in touch with him for more details. He has one installed in his Sprinter and it looks like a pretty comfy setup plus it obviously has the flexibility you're looking for.

http://shop.cavevan.com/collections/sprinter-promaster-transit/products/van-hammock

hyperboarder

Adventurer
We use PVC and drop cloth hammocks for our two young daughters, they were not particularly difficult to build and work great. The downside I see with an adult version is the inherent middle sag that pushes the two of you together, I like a bit more space while sleeping. Otherwise seems like it would work fine.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
How does sleeping in a hammock every night affect your back? Taking a nap on one is fine but I've always wondered...

luthj

Engineer In Residence
User Cole (has a build thread in this forum) had a custom hammock as you describe made up. He was offering them for sale (Google CaveVan). You might need a custom width, but his product looks pretty well made.

Accrete

Explorer
My wife and I regularly sleep in two hammocks when not in the van.
I sleep in a traditional gathered end and like the cozy cocoon and usually sleep like a baby (Warbonnet blackbird)
My wife sleeps in a bridge hammock like you describe in your OP. Hers is a Warbonnet RidgeRunner and prefers it over a gathered end.

I've pondered van version 2.0 layout, and while I can easily envision a gathered end setup, the bridge hammock takes up a bit more real estate and figuring.

YMMV!
THom

deezdrama

Adventurer
Thanks guys, alot of good ideas and opinions for me to think about.
That cavevan setup looks sweet but doing my build on a shoestring budget so most things will be diy options.
I may just stick with the regular hammock and keep a few extra sleeping bags and mats for the rest of the fam....lol

Accrete

Explorer
Thanks guys...I may just stick with the regular hammock and keep a few extra sleeping bags and mats for the rest of the fam....lol
Ah, I didn't realize this was a family affair. In that case the inside hammock idea gets even more interesting to pull off.
IF you are enjoying the family in spots you feel safe tent camping and the future budget allows hammocks in the trees or on stands (we do both) can be fun for the whole family!

I even built a stand for when our adult children visit...

fouronstands-s.jpg

: ) Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior