Sofa Bed Ideas

bj3nk5

Guys - I'm looking for some photos or design ideas to build a sofa bed. I want 2 sideways facing (driver and passenger) sofas, that slide into a bed with storage underneath. Like the Gaucho ones.

I've seen the sliding rail system that VanSpecialties has on their site and a few of the "flip over" type beds. But I was thinking of a different design. I was thinking of using a "C" channel on each side of the sofa, using 4-5" strip of plywood to slide through the "c" Channel. Screw the bottom of a piano hinge to the plywood sliding through the 'C" channel and screw the top of the piano hinge to the plywood base for the foam of the seat. That way the seat can lift up AND pull forward, allowing the back-rest to fill in the gap behind the seat. Volia....a (not too complicated or expensive) sofa bed.

Does that make sense? Has anyone done anything similar?

Any other ideas, photos, or diagrams that anyone has laying around would be super appreciated.

Thanks!

bj3nk5

Thanks 710m! Have you changed anything since you built it? Anything you would change? Does it rattle or move around much?

710m

Observer
I fixed the plywood back rattling against the frame in the sitting position by putting a couple layers of duct tape around the frame. The seat part doesn't move around at all in either position.

4x4pair

Adventurer
I'm also looking for sofa bed ideas. Anyone else mind sharing their set-ups/ideas? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Jb1rd

Explorer
Here is what I found at the RV salvage yard.
They call it a jack knife, not sure the exact difference between it and a gaucho.
ab2e90da8a7ff12c9a33232294d0b6bf.jpg

Partly flipped
fc939b0bb50e14fc0d9e233ed7a3fad8.jpg

Totally flipped
e19b41e6345b8bbfdbb19fdff509e598.jpg

I'm not sure how I'm going to attach it but want some type of "quick" disconnect that I can pull a couple of bolts or pins and have the entire contraption out of the van in minutes. Thinking some type of cargo track then I can slide the extension panel in or out as need too.

Sent by magic, I mean come on really, pictures through thin air, MAGIC!!!

4x4pair

Adventurer
I'm really leaning towards the slat design but still would love to see what more people have done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

lcavalletti

Observer
Just bought my custom sofa bed and it should be here next week from discountvantruck. Its the sedona model for sprinter vans. Mine is going in my e350 rb. Ill let you know how it goes. I had it made 6 inches higher on the backrest for more sleeping room once folded down. Ill take pictures. It wasnt cheap, i had to go leather but im hoping it will be worth it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94