The PDXJ: Project 2001 Jeep Cherokee

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
My father passed away back in 2014, and left his 2001 XJ. My stepmom drove it every now and then until just recently when she said she was ready for it to move on. I'm honored to have it.

I call it "Cranky," since I've had some challenges with it since getting it. Nothing super major, just little stuff; enough stuff to make you, well, cranky. It's a mish-mash of metric and standard bolts, too! I also have Suzuki Sidekick (aka The Teal Terror), and I can disassemble the darn thing with about three wrenches, so this is quite different. (Maybe I'm the cranky one.) I also just launched a new site called Crankshaft Culture, and the name seemed fitting.

Here's how it looked when I got it: 15x7s, 235/75/15 Yokohama A/T-S tires, Smittybilt side steps.

20160715_070507_zpsdeyfbr4y.jpg

First thing I did was wire up our ARB fridge in the back and headed out for a camping trip:

13724835_10154759189102289_885105171123678867_o_zps6omt9pxl.jpg

Threw my roof rack and awning on top, added a trailer hitch, and hitched up the trailer/tent.

xj_OFFRAOD-768x729_zpsoitm6ofj.jpg

Took it on the trails at Tahuya State Forest in Washington without any mods. Did great! Unfortunately, didn't rip the sidestep off. Had to wait to get home to take them off. :D

First mod: Skyjacker 3" lift (coils and new leafs) with their Black Max Shocks all around, as well as their lower control arms.

Skyjacker-Black-Max-768x890_zpsmksi1cvu.jpg

Ordered up a Metalcloak adjustable track bar, too. (I still need to get the axle totally centered)

trackbar_zpsyyagtdff.jpg

Also picked up longer front bumpstops from Daystar and JKS Quicker disconnects for the front bar.

14067992_1754465681476599_499797581524605821_o_zpst0nwlpud.jpg

Lifted on the 235s ...

Next up: 31x10.50 Yokohama Geolandar MT+ tires.
Yokohama-MT-Tires_zpsksrkostk.jpg

Yes, that's seven of them: four for the XJ, a full-size spare, and two for our trailer.

14064051_1756061247983709_6206063081259623059_n_zpsvnjsatvq.jpg

Mounted them on Mamba MR1X wheels (15x7; 4.5' backspacing).

Lifted-Dinoot.jpg

Just picked up 1.5" spacers so I can mount up the wheels/tires on the Dinoot trailer, too.

20160828_173122_HDR_zps9cxlylcp.jpg

And that's where it stands as of today. I literally just got it to this point a couple days ago, but can't wait to get it on the trails and see how the parts do.

Cranky1-1024x558.jpg

FYI, I've got JCR Sliders to put on, and my JCR bumper just shipped today. Got a WARN VR8000-S to put on the front (pulling it off of my other 4x4).

Future plans include regear, locker, and am looking into stronger axles, especially for the D35. Need to get longer brake lines, too. Also considering raising the back up another inch, but once the bumper/winch are installed, it might level it out.

Looking forward to getting some more seat time with it, especially off the pavement. It rides quite well, and the Yokohamas are quieter than I expected, too. I probably have 50 miles on the setup thus far, so I'll have more feedback as time passes.

Last edited:

jswift716

Adventurer
Ditch that 35 asap, you could find a cheap bolt in 8.25 from a late 90s xj, but if you spring right for the 8.8 from an explorer you'll get 4.10s disk brakes and quite possibly a limited slip rear end. Your gonna have to weld on new mounts too but that gives you a chance to tuck things up and get more clearance and I think you'll get an extra .5" of lift with that axle too but don't quote me

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Ditch that 35 asap, you could find a cheap bolt in 8.25 from a late 90s xj, but if you spring right for the 8.8 from an explorer you'll get 4.10s disk brakes and quite possibly a limited slip rear end. Your gonna have to weld on new mounts too but that gives you a chance to tuck things up and get more clearance and I think you'll get an extra .5" of lift with that axle too but don't quote me

I hear a lot of negatives about the D35; seems like everyone's got a story. But there were like 900,000 TJs out there with them. I mean, I don't intend on running anything bigger than a 31, and I'm not doing any hard-core rock crawling with it. That being said, I can't say you didn't warn me.

F40

Adventurer
I wouldn't worry about the 35 too much, unless you're beating the snot out of it. If so inclined to swap, I would swap to a 97+ 8.25 just because it's a direct bolt in with 29 spline shafts.

As for leveling the rear, this may be a necessity as those springs don't look like they'll play well with a trailer or routine weight in the back of the Jeep.

Last edited:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I ran a Dana 35 in my 2001 XJ no problem. I added chromo shafts and a ruffstuff diff cover to stiffen things up. For lockers, look at the Spartan lunchbox. I had my xj set up similar to yours and with that locker in the rear, it would go anywhere I thought appropriate for the rig. To make that 35 last, just stay off the skinny pedal in the rocks and it will be fine.

How do you like the skyjacker lift? Looks like they are trying to step up their game with those new black shocks.

jswift716

Adventurer
I hear a lot of negatives about the D35; seems like everyone's got a story. But there were like 900,000 TJs out there with them. I mean, I don't intend on running anything bigger than a 31, and I'm not doing any hard-core rock crawling with it. That being said, I can't say you didn't warn me.
You should be fine then, but I prefer to have the security. The less chance I can have on breaking somthing/or the more I can limit the break to a weak point that's cheap and not too big of a pain to fix (like a ujoint) I will. The factory 8.25 can handle a good amount of abuse with 33s, if you put your money into that with new gears shafs and lockers you would never ever break it with 31s unless you 4lo launched it like a drag car in a rock garden... maybe

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
I ran a Dana 35 in my 2001 XJ no problem. I added chromo shafts and a ruffstuff diff cover to stiffen things up. For lockers, look at the Spartan lunchbox. I had my xj set up similar to yours and with that locker in the rear, it would go anywhere I thought appropriate for the rig. To make that 35 last, just stay off the skinny pedal in the rocks and it will be fine.
Great Jeep, and great move getting rid of those side tubes. I had them on my first ever XJ. Thought I was cool!

I am sure it is just personal preference, but I have an Aussie in the front that I absolutely love. I put a Spartan in the rear that I was super excited about, but ended up not feeling like it gave me the extra benefit that I was expecting. It did certainly help, but not to the level of expectation. Perhaps my expectation was too high, but I think if I had it to do over again, I'd have stuck with Aussie front and back.

I also went with the 8.8. The only drawback to going with the 4.10 8.8 is the forced re-gearing of the front D30. I love the 8.8 set up and only moved to that because I happened to stumble over a stock 4.10 geared XJ D30 at the junk yard. I'm on 32's by the way.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
How do you like the skyjacker lift? Looks like they are trying to step up their game with those new black shocks.

So far I really like it. It rides really well—better than I expected. I haven't taken it off the pavement yet, but I expect good things. Also, the Yokohama Geolandar MT+ are quieter than I expected. Can't wait to try it off pavement.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Great Jeep, and great move getting rid of those side tubes. I had them on my first ever XJ. Thought I was cool!

I am sure it is just personal preference, but I have an Aussie in the front that I absolutely love. I put a Spartan in the rear that I was super excited about, but ended up not feeling like it gave me the extra benefit that I was expecting. It did certainly help, but not to the level of expectation. Perhaps my expectation was too high, but I think if I had it to do over again, I'd have stuck with Aussie front and back.

I also went with the 8.8. The only drawback to going with the 4.10 8.8 is the forced re-gearing of the front D30. I love the 8.8 set up and only moved to that because I happened to stumble over a stock 4.10 geared XJ D30 at the junk yard. I'm on 32's by the way.

Thanks!

I have a Lock Right in the rear of my Suzuki. It is great off road, but for the Cherokee, I figured I'd save up and get an air locker this time.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I think I'm familiar with your Teal Terror from your Subcompact Culture Instagram page. Love that little thing.

Looking forward to keeping up with Cranky:sombrero:

91AzXJ

Adventurer
Run the D35 until it breaks. I wouldn't necessarily spend $ on a locker but I ran one for years and never had issues. If you treat it right, it should be okay.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
With the topic being about the D35, I agree with 91AzXJ, just run it till it breaks. It's not like you are going beyond its limits running 31s, however, I think when it comes down to replacing it or fixing it in the future consider Revolution's Super 35 Kit. Very comparable pricing ($1200) to a D44 swap or even a 8.8 swap but comes with an ARB locker and is fully capable of running 35" tires no problem:D. Again, it's far more overkill than you'll ever need it but it's one less thing to worry about.

That all being said, your stock D35 will survive a long time when not pushed beyond its limits. There are plenty of guys out there running 200k+miles on their TJs and XJs with factory D35s having zero issues

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I think I'm familiar with your Teal Terror from your Subcompact Culture Instagram page. Love that little thing.

Looking forward to keeping up with Cranky:sombrero:

Yes, that'd be the one!

I do plan on running the D35 until it breaks, which I hope it doesn't.

Just installed the Skyjacker Black Max Steering Stabilizer today and centered the axle. Much fewer steering vibrations now.

stabilizer_zpsw440vudw.jpg

Need to get it in for an alignment, too. JCR Sliders are here, JCR bumper gets here tomorrow.

Overland History

Wanderluster
You have a great looking XJ!

When it comes to the D35 rear, you'll be just fine on 31's with a locker in it and a light foot. Hell, that's exactly what I'm running, even though my axle is non c-clip.

Your name is on the title at the end of the day, do what YOU want with your jeep. ;)

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
IMG_20161009_220238_zpshwfpoo69.jpg

So question for you XJ guys: I have a 3" lift on my rig. Does such a lift require longer brake lines? I know YJ ones are apparently longer. FYI, I do have front swaybar disconnects, so it will flex out more (I also have longer Daystar bumpstops)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94