Ford 6.0 Turbo Diesel - How scary are they really?

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
I've read a lot about the weaknesses of the 6.0 diesel, used from 03(?) to 07. I love those trucks, love the way they look, love the visibility, I've driven a few and loved the way they drive. I'm not going to be pulling anything super heavy very often. I will occasionally pull the boat, cars on a trailer, etc but the main reason I'm considering them is wanting to get into a diesel pickup because of the amount of miles I'm now driving. I don't want to totally depreciate my new-ish truck while i can still get out of it pretty easily. I'm also wanting to buy a bone stock truck and leave it bone stock forever - especially with regards to the powertrain (unless I need to do head studs, EGR delete, etc but no tuners, exhaust, bigger turbo or anything like that).

I've heard the later models (Say 05 ish to 07) are generally more safe from the head stud/head gasket issues and i've also heard that if it's made it to over 100k with no issues and it's stock then it should be fine.

I like this forum because there's a good mix of people with various manufacturer loyalties or none at all so I'd love to hear what yall have to say.

thanks in advance for the help.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I had one and loved it (2006 F350). The only thing that went on mine from 135k to 165k that I had it was the Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM). That left me stranded in a hotel parking lot. But it also had injector stiction issues (the 6.0s shear oil like crazy) and I was planning on tearing it apart to bulletproof if with an EGR cooler delete, new oil cooler, head studs, etc but didnt get around to it before trading the truck in.

Honestly, with a bulletproof kit you probably should get a proper tune. The OEM calibration sucks.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Petersen's 4wd published a" Bulletproof your 6.0 article". As I recall there were 10+ areas to improve..

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
Ok, thanks for the input. While i have you here what's your opinion on a 5.9 vs 6.7 dodge? My only concern is i want a usable by adults backseat...but the megacab looks weird. How is the standard quad cab?

gtbensley

Explorer
If you bullet proof the 6.0 they are good motors....they are ok stock too as long as not abused but used. Most issues I see with them are when people turn the power up, or dont drive them far or hard enough. The 6.0 needs to be used instead of just a quick run around town rig.

Low battery voltage will kill the FICM's pretty quick, and this can have an affect on the injectors. Keep the fluids clean, and the battery charged and they are pretty good.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'll tell you my opinion and where it's coming from. I've either owned, or own, everything from a 7.3 idi to the 6.7. I've owned the 5.4 and 6.8 gassers.

If you don't NEED a late model diesel truck, I.E. the 6.0, 6.4, or 6.7, it's A) not worth the buy in premium and B) not worth the potential repair costs.

Blow an HPOP on the 6.0 and you're looking in the vicinity of a $4k repair bill at the dealer. Plenty more if it eats (good chance) any of the injectors in the process. Let the HPFP in the 6.4/6.7 eat itself and it doesn't have the good grace to just die, it generally shreds itself internally and pumps metal shavings throughout the entire fuel system. Repair bill at Ford? Depending on dealer $12,000-$15,000 because their standard procedure is to replace everything in the fuel system. EVERY-thing, from the tank all the way back to the tank. A GOOD private enterprise will do a reliable job and get you back out the door for around $8,000.

You can bulletproof all you want, I've done it on 3 different 6.0s and ate the HPFP failure on a 6.4, but in the end it's an engine and sooner or later failure happens. The repair bill on a modern diesel is way north of stupid, and completely capable of causing an otherwise good truck to get junked, or a second mortgage. In my case they were heavy haulers for my business and made enough to pay for their upkeep. The average joe isn't going to be so lucky.

The late model V8/V10 from Ford is a strong gas motor. They have longevity beyond the length the average person will own whatever vehicle it's installed in, repair costs are reasonable, have reasonable buy-in costs, and based on your stated usage more than capable of doing the job.

I would STRONGLY recommend you seriously think about your wants/needs for a 6.0, or any diesel of similar era.

mchambers

Observer
I thought the same thing. How bad can it be? I have a 2006 F550 4wd with around 90k on it. I have spent around $7,000 so far this year on various problems. (as my bookkeeper just informed me) I have replaced 4 injectors, the turbo, had to have both fuel tanks removed, cleaned and recoated, cracked fuel filter housing and a problem with the O rings on the injector fuel return tubes. This truck only runs when it is pulling a 10,000 trailer and has had all normal maintenance performed in a timely manner since I bought it 2 years ago. Seriously looking at a 3500 or 4500 dodge at this point.
I was told years ago that if you need a diesel to haul a load all the time they are great but gassers are better for everything else.

Last edited:

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I have had my 2005 F250 6.0 for about a year and a half now, and I love that truck more than I reasonably should. As you mentioned, it is a pleasure to drive, it's comfortable, and looks great. However, starting at 100k miles I have replaced the FICM, the oil cooler, deleted the EGR cooler while I was at it which necessitated a tuner as well, added a coolant filter, replaced the STC fitting, replaced the injector O-rings, new batteries, and replaced the brakes that started hanging up. I'm chalking it up to 100k mile issues, as every vehicle I've ever owned has had a heap of work needed at that point. However, as others have said everything about a diesel is more expensive. Oil changes every 5000 miles are $100 bucks. Expect at least $1000 at the shop for anything that the average DIY type person can't fix.

I'm hoping that now that I've done everything but head studs, that I'll have a good while before this truck needs to go back in the shop. But, who knows. I think the most important thing with these engines is to keep a good eye on them with a good set of gauges. I had no idea the FICM was going out until I noticed it was getting 36v to the system. I had no idea my oil cooler had blown until I noticed an oil slick in the degas bottle. The truck ran great every time otherwise.

If you like these trucks, go ahead and buy one with confidence. I think they are the best value in heavy duty trucks today. The issues are well known and repairable. And because of the stigma, you can get them for GREAT deals.

gsanders

Observer
I'll add some input since you are asking.

I currently own a 2001 Dodge Quad Cab with the 5.9. The engine is great and super dependable. I have owned it since 135k and I am approaching 200k. On the 5.9s, the weak links are the auto transmission and the fuel pumps. If you purchase one from 98-02, plan on spending ~$600 for an aftermarket lift pump to supply reliable fuel to the injection pump. If you do that and keep the power stock, the transmission will be good and the injection pump will be good. If you want to add some power, plan on upgrading the transmission. New injectors are cheap (~$350 for a full set of 6 versus $350 each on newer diesels). Engine maintenance is generally pretty easy to do (lots of room to work) and the engines are reliable with no emissions crap. That said, the back seats in the 98-02s are tiny, since they don't have four full doors. I get 19-21 mpg with mine easy. I also just installed a Smarty S-03 tuner which makes the truck drive so much better, adds some horsepower, and my mileage bumped up to 21.5 mpg on my first tank since installation. Also, these trucks are getting old, expect to repair other systems -- I have replaced brakes, had axles rebuilt, etc. That comes with any truck that is 15 years old.

If you want a 3rd gen Dodge (03-07), you can get a bigger back seat and possibly a Mega Cab. However, the engines are still the 5.9 but they have a different fuel system (common rail injection) that is more complicated and more costly to repair. Injector sets are about $1500-1800 for a set of 6. The fuel pumps are more reliable stock, especially with stock power. The transmissions are better, but still need upgrades if power is upgraded. There are also a few other upgrades, bigger brakes which is better for towing, better interior, etc. Still no emissions crap so mileage is good and the engines are relatively simple. Axles and many other parts are similar to the 2nd generation models (98-02).

The 6.7 CTD starting adding emissions equipment. Tons of power, smooth driving, quiet, but don't expect to get over 16 mpg stock. Also, much more costly to maintain/repair and things get much more complicated for the home mechanic. I have ridden in quite a few and have friends with them. They are a different beast and it really depends on what you want out of your truck. If you want a quiet diesel truck that rides and feels like a car or SUV, you will like it. But this comes at a huge cost.

Onto the Fords. I have a friend with a 6.0 in an E-350 van and it was bullet proofed. From everything I have read you better plan on deleting the entire EGR system from the 6.0 and getting a tuner so that doesn't set off the CEL or throw codes. If it is deleted, engines seem great. Good power, drivability, mpg, but that upfront cost can be huge. However, he has now started having problems with the alternator and electrical system.

Overall, I will echo what others have said. New diesels are very complicated and have hug repair bills. If you live somewhere and have the money to delete the emissions systems, that seems to help on many fronts. If it were me, I would look for a totalled 3rd gen Dodge that had the transmission blow up. Buy it, upgrade the tranny, and you are golden. The truck I purchased had a salvaged title as the original owner got stuck in water and let it sit and the transmission got water in it. He wrote it off and the guy I bought it from purchased it for salvage, had the tranny rebuilt and upgraded, and then was on his way. I got a great deal on it and the transmission was already taken care of. I upgraded the fueling system and everything is good! The other alternative is look for a 6.0 that has already been bullet proofed.

Good luck!

wirenut

Adventurer
We had 2 POS 6.0s at work. Both with utility beds and ladder racks. They're always loaded and often towing. One was an '03. At about 130,000 it needed head gaskets. The bill was going to be over $4,000 to do just the one side if I remember correctly. We sold the truck for about $4,000 as is and called it a win. The other is an '06. It's on it's second engine (installed by a Ford dealer). It went back to the dealer multiple times on a roll-back. Eventually it got straightened out for about a year. Then, it needed an oil cooler, turbo, and new computer.
I always drove Chevy's before taking this job. When I first got into these Fords I thought something was wrong. They rode and handled terrible and the engines were hard to start. I had a couple mechanics say they were normal. When they found out I'd been used to driving Chevy trucks they basically said "Oh, that explains it. These don't handle like a Chevy."
After what we've been thru with a 6.0 I wouldn't take one if it was given to me. I've had 4 Chevy work trucks from '01 thru '07, two were diesels, all have given absolutely outstanding service.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
See what most diesel mechanics drive, not the diesel shop owner, but the guys who work for him. The last dealer I worked for all four of us drove gas rigs. I wouldn't own a Ford diesel any newer than a 7.3 powerstroke or any of the others once emissions got stupid, usually 07 and later.

dave1014

Adventurer
6.0s are excellent trucks. The key is finding one where the previous owner wasn't an idiot. When you test drive get yourself a Bluetooth OBD 2 scanner and an app to monitor ECT and EOT deltas after the truck hits operating temp at 60mph. If it's over 15 degrees difference it needs an oil cooler. and FICM voltage upon cold start. If it's below 45v it needs repair.

But that said I'd still buy one in need of those two repairs as they're easy.

If you buy one check out bulletproofdiesel.com

KE7JFF

Adventurer
My good friend owns a riddiciously lifted 2003 F350 Crew Cab with the 6.0. Previous owner spent a lot of money on the lift and other upgrades he forgot to actually do the proper 6.0 fixes, so my friend had one of the more experienced in 6.0 engines in town do all the fixes. From talking to their front office guy, I got this: The 6.0 isn't a bad motor, but between bickering with Ford and International Navistar, some bad decisions were made that can be fixed by the aftermarket; if you get non-OEM headbolts like the ARP ones, do the EGR delete, etc, you have a great truck.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I think some guys who haven't had to eat some of those repair bills are missing the point.

The 6.0 is a great engine. The one I still have runs like a raped ape, and has had all the popular "bulletproof" stuff, but that isn't the point. It WILL fail, sooner or later, and when it does the repair bill is likely to be ridiculous.

Cost of repair is the point, and it is way higher than any Ford gas engine that is more than capable of doing the job.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier