1984 Mercedes 207D Military Van Camper Conversion

bitberger

vanwithflag.jpgRear.jpg

1984 Mercedes 207D Kastenwagen, converted to camper wagen by GTRV of Sebastopol, California.
Less than 9000 total miles.
4 cylinder non-turbo diesel, 72hp
2WD
Sleeps 2-3. Seatbelts for two only, the two front seats.
Full Galley, including large prep area, sink, water, stove, fridge
12V house battery system with external 110v plug
Multiple internal cargo tie down areas via quick-disconnect fittings

$56K O.B.O.

Two years ago I began designing a van that carry things to support my adventures. I found a group of military vehicles that had been recently retired from active duty with an Air Base in Germany (Bitberg Air Base). I acquired one, imported it via a dealer in Belgium, and found a customizer in California to do the work of converting it into an adventure van. I spared literally no expense in the conversion, investing over $60,000 once I was all done. I am a retired military member and outdoors enthusiast and tried to make something that combined these influences. I have now been moved by company to another part of the country, and have new duties that don't really give me the time off to enjoy the vehicle the way I had hoped. So, without having ever used the camper at all, I am selling my creation. This is the way things go sometimes.

It is not a fast mover, but will go where you need it to, just not fast. The 207D van was designed to carry heavy loads in small European towns, not to cruise great long distances at one stretch on USA interstates. The motor is very capable, but fast is not in this vehicle's skill set.

More details can be found on the EBAY listing for the vehicle. Item 191960216636.

I am a new member, and was encouraged to join by another member named Ben, last name unknown, to let people know about the van I have created. If this is not an appropriate post or type of vehicle, please let me know. I respect the folks in the website and do not wish to post something inappropriate.

Thank you,

Kurt

Last edited:

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
Glad to see you made it to the fourm Kurt, I wish it was 4x4. Good luck! I don't think you should have any problem with the sale.

bitberger

Yes, it is legal in California. 1997 and older diesel vehicles are exempt from California DMV smog rules. It has a Washington State title, so would be no problem.

It smells like a new car, which it pretty much is. Except 32 years old. It was stored in a hangar at Bitberg Air Base. Towards the end of the Cold War, with nearby Spangdalem AB closed, the vehicles were stored inside, and driven around the runway once a month to keep them in running condition.

docmaas

Adventurer
1987 and older

I'm pretty sure the exemption is for 1987 and older on diesel automobiles. Not sure exactly what qualified but my 87 MB 300TD did.

Mike

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
For anyone that doesn't know what it is - this is THE van of west Africa.

It outnumbers every other van 50 to 1, no exaggeration.

If I wanted a van, and I was touring Africa, this would be it!

-Dan

bitberger

Compared to my VW van, this is night and day solid. The best part is the view out front. you just see everything.

bitberger

Cab.jpg

I've had some inquiries as to the interior diesel heater.

The heater is a function of the cook stove. Heat with the stove? Yes - this unit, made in Finland for Wallas, is an ocean-going unit made for boat cabins.

The stove is a sealed unit, with two burners under a solid ceramic cook top. It uses the diesel fuel straight from the vehicle fuel tank with its own pump system. All combustion gases are sent overboard, so heat is exchanged by conduction and convection over the cook top. The lid in the picture is a blower. When used as a heater, the stove control modulates the heat output inside the van by quietly blowing air over the warm cook top. The lid itself stays cool to the touch, so no getting hurt by touching the surface.

As the van is completely insulated, the diesel stove does a very nice and efficient job of keeping things warm inside, with no gases or condensation.

amg463

Observer
That's $777.777 per HP, whoever buys this is a very lucky man and should proceed to vegas with remaining life savings immediately!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Wow - that is a deal. He didn't even mention the addition of the Gear Vendors overdrive that is on this vehice which reduces the RPMs of the engine on the highway by 25%.

Quite the deal. Somebody get it quick!

bitberger

Last opportunities for the Northwest! Will be taking her out to the middle part of the USA in a couple weeks. Will be a gorgeous time of year to enjoy the capabilities of this unique vehicle.

Glacier area, Badlands, Rushmore, Kentucky. May find a new market for her out east!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz