on-board air

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
For your price range (and running air tools) go with a 5 gallon air tank and 1 or 2 electric air compressors. The 5 gallon tank will provide enough air storage so you can remove/install all the lugnuts on 1 wheel at a time. Second air compressor refills the tank twice as fast.

punisher1130

Adventurer
For your price range (and running air tools) go with a 5 gallon air tank and 1 or 2 electric air compressors. The 5 gallon tank will provide enough air storage so you can remove/install all the lugnuts on 1 wheel at a time. Second air compressor refills the tank twice as fast.

Impact gun really would be the only air tool i see needing so that idea does make sense, plus that should also work with lockers and horns too, just have 1 pump set to build to pressure and the other to pick up the slack when needed as well as a bypass just for tires.

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
Doesn't scuba tanks have limited lives though?

I suppose they do for actual scuba use. I've got a couple tanks with round end caps. I'm just guessing at them being old scuba tanks. It all depends on what I can package where though. May not use them at all

MOguy

Explorer
I run air for my lockers and for airing up tires. I have never carried air tools on the trail but had them in the garage. My impact wrench is starting to die and I have been looking at battery operated impact wrenches. Craftsman has I saw last week for about 160 bucks with 300ft-lbs torque. I really think I will be looking more into battery operated as opposed to pneumatic tools. No hoses, no tank, no compressor and you don't need much of an DC/AC converter to charge a battery.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-c3-1...ch-kit/p-00945195000P?intcmp=crft-pdp-buy-cta

spin_prod_1030485212

MOguy

Explorer
Doesn't scuba tanks have limited lives though?

SCBA and SCUBA tanks will be filled to very high pressures, 4500 psi plus. The tanks have to be checked on a regular basis to make sure they are in good shape. The compressors that fill them also have to be checked on a regular basis for health reasons because they are producing breathable air. For purposes here I don't think people will be filling to 4500 psi or using these tanks for breathable air. If you are using it as a tank for the purposes discussed here It should last as long as any other tank.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
I run air for my lockers and for airing up tires. I have never carried air tools on the trail but had them in the garage. My impact wrench is starting to die and I have been looking at battery operated impact wrenches. Craftsman has I saw last week for about 160 bucks with 300ft-lbs torque. I really think I will be looking more into battery operated as opposed to pneumatic tools. No hoses, no tank, no compressor and you don't need much of an DC/AC converter to charge a battery.

I have a RIGID 1/2" battery impact, been using it for a few years as a mechanic. Great unit and very handy.

MOguy

Explorer
I have a RIGID 1/2" battery impact, been using it for a few years as a mechanic. Great unit and very handy.

Battery operated tools have come a long way in the last few years, esp with prices coming down as they have. At this point I find it hard to justify buying another pneumatic tool or a compressor any larger than needed to inflate tires.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a couple of Dewalt 18V impact wrenches that produce 300 lb/ft torque, and they are overkill for lug nuts, so you have to be careful. A set of torque sticks is probably a good idea if you are going to carry something like that. I think the Milwaukee M18 produces north of 400 lb/ft. I just bought one of the new Ryobi 18V impacts with two speed ranges, ostensibly to carry in the truck. The Ryobi is also rated at 300 lb/ft, but the low speed range should allow more measured/careful torquing. The new Ryobi stuff is pretty good, and often on sale, so also a good value if you buy smart. As a side note, I recently started using my Dewalts to run up scissors jacks on construction projects, with great success and little physical effort. Should work just as well to lift a truck, as long as you have the right size deep socket.

you don't need much of an DC/AC converter to charge a battery.
For my Dewalts and the Ryobi, I have car chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter socket. Very convenient, and compact.

punisher1130

Adventurer
SCBA and SCUBA tanks will be filled to very high pressures, 4500 psi plus. The tanks have to be checked on a regular basis to make sure they are in good shape. The compressors that fill them also have to be checked on a regular basis for health reasons because they are producing breathable air. For purposes here I don't think people will be filling to 4500 psi or using these tanks for breathable air. If you are using it as a tank for the purposes discussed here It should last as long as any other tank.

Makes sense

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Puma is around $230 shipped. Ready to go. Just hook it up to the battery. I extended my wires and hard wired mine in. Than you can easily add remote tanks for larger capacity.
Making your own with a decent compressor and all the fittings and what not. Probably won't be too far from what s puma price be and its has one hell of a compressor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

punisher1130

Adventurer
I know I looked it up, that is the price for a ARB twin compressor set up. I have looked up some parts and I can build the system for less but the tank size got me stumped a little, thats why i made this post.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I know I looked it up, that is the price for a ARB twin compressor set up. I have looked up some parts and I can build the system for less but the tank size got me stumped a little, thats why i made this post.

ARB twin compressor is $500
I can have two puma for that price and fill up two tires at a time. Takes arb two compressors to output what one puma would do.

Which compressor are you looking at to build yours with ?

punisher1130

Adventurer
ARB twin compressor is $500
I can have two puma for that price and fill up two tires at a time. Takes arb two compressors to output what one puma would do.

Which compressor are you looking at to build yours with ?

Opps your right I looked at the wrong part, the single compressor was $230. The compressor I am looking to mess with is this one>>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KTY5CJA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I know its just a tire pump but I'm thinking of wiring it to both a rocker switch as a main power switch and pressure switch for cut off when the tank is full.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior