Apple announces iPhone 7 and 7 Plus

haven

Expedition Leader
We use the Communications section to talk about new phone hardware. So here goes.

Apple just announced the newest iPhones. While the new models outwardly appear to be similar to the iPhone 6S introduced in 2015, the new phones' internals are all new. Some highlights:

-- new A10 processor has four cores, up from 2 in the A9. The OS can choose to use two faster cores for processor intensive tasks, or two slower cores when idle. Result: 40% faster performance than the A9 in last year's iPhone 6s, while increasing battery life by two hours in typical use.

-- new graphics processor is 50% faster than last year. This allows some new tricks with the camera, described below.

-- new screen, with wider color gamut and 25% brighter than last year's screen. The new screen has similar characteristics to the iPad Pro. Brighter can be useful when using the phone in a vehicle to navigate. The new screen appears to use LED technology, not OLED as many bloggers had speculated.

-- "highly water resistant" case is new, and helps protect from sweaty hands and accidental splashes. No claim of being waterproof was made, so don't go swimming with this phone.

-- new camera for the iPhone 7. 12 megapixel sensor like the 6s, but now with a lens with f/1.8 maximum aperture, a 60% faster sensor that manages to use 30% less power, and optical image stabilization. Result: Better photos in low light conditions. A four led flash helps when it's really dark.

-- 2 new cameras in the iPhone 7 Plus: one wide angle, one 2x telephoto. Each has its own sensor and processor. The new graphics processor can combine images from both lenses, allowing a number of effects through software. Details are thin about what may be available, but I'd expect ability to change focal point and to create "bokeh" effects.

[update] Test results indicate the iPhone 7 Plus uses 3 GB of RAM, while the 7 has 2 GB RAM. We'll have to wait for confirmation through disassembly by companies like iFitIt. Apple doesn't talk about RAM in its phones.

-- twice as much storage memory, for the same price as last year. For example, the entry level iPhone used to have 16 GB storage, and now has 32 GB, for the same price of $649. Other models have 128 GB and 256 GB. The iPhone 7 Plus with 32 GB starts at $769.

-- both iPhone and iPhone Plus can save photos in RAW format. Good thing max storage has increased to 256 GB. (Older iPhones will get the RAW feature by upgrading to iOS 10.)

-- the forward-facing "selfie" camera has increased to 7 megapixels, f/2.2 lens and optical image stabilization. Better for FaceTime teleconferencing, among other functions.

-- new LTE chip supports 50% faster up/download (dependent on the network you're using and strength of signal). The new chip supports 25 LTE bands, more than before, making it more likely your phone will work on international high speed networks.

-- stereo speakers. Not that you will get much stereo effect from speakers separated by 2 inches...but it's likely the sound will be louder than with a single speaker.

-- as ExPo member Pluton notes below, the new iPhones no longer have a conventional 3.5mm jack for stereo audio and microphone. Wired headphones are connected through the Lightning port. In the box with the iPhone 7, Apple provides a wired Lightning headphone set, plus a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter for conventional headphones. Use of the Lightning port means you can't charge the phone while using headphones. I expect third parties will offer dual port Lightning cables to address this issue.

[update] Belkin has announced a $40 dual port Lightning cable that allows Lightning headphone use while charging. And Apple sells a docking station that charges any iPhone with the Lightning port. The dock includes a 3.5mm jack for conventional headphones. Price for the dock is $49 from Apple, $39 from several online retailers.

-- wireless headphones are supported by Bluetooth and by a new wireless protocol (probably an extension of conventional Bluetooth 4.0 protocols) developed by Apple. Compared to Bluetooth, Apple's wireless is supposed to use less battery power, and to deliver improved sound quality. The new wireless protocol is called W1.

[update] I now think W1 refers to the silicon Apple developed to handle the enhanced Bluetooth communications. The W1 processor handles the details of pairing with a set of headphones that also are equipped with a W1 chip.

-- Apple announced a W1-compatible wireless headphone set called AirPods, price $159 USD. Left and right AirPods are independent, not connected by a cable like conventional stereo Bluetooth headsets. Each AirPod has an earpiece and microphone, so it should be possible to use one AirPod to answer phone calls. Apple says the AirPods contain batteries that will last 5 hours. The AirPod carrying case also acts as a portable battery pack with enough juice to recharge the AirPods 5 times. Apple says 15 minutes in the carrying case will recharge the AirPods enough for 3 hours of use.

-- When removed from their case, AirPods automatically connect to the iPhone they are configured for. After initial setup, AirPods should be more convenient to use that conventional Bluetooth headphones, which need to go through a manual pairing process.

[update] AirPods can be used with any Bluetooth-compatible audio source. They have to be manually paired to the audio source, the old fashioned way.

-- AirPods work with Siri, Apple's audio assistant. You can use Siri to choose a playlist, control the volume, start or pause playback, call someone in your contact list, ask for directions, and so on. There are no buttons on the AirPods. Double tap an AirPod to get Siri's attention. An AirPod can tell when you remove it from your ear, pausing the audio playback if you wish.

-- Each AirPod consists of an earpiece plus a two inch extension holding electronics, battery and microphone. Whether this is the next digital fashion trend or will mark you as a hopeless phone geek is not yet clear. Apple plans to release W1 compatible headphones by Beats, a company now owned by Apple. Beats headphones are over-the-ear models, and well-regarded for audio quality.

-- Apple says AirPods also work with Apple Watch and iPad using iOS 10. Mac laptop or desktop will also work if running a later version of Mac OS (not sure which versions). Since these devices don't have the W1 hardware, I'm guessing that the AirPods use conventional Bluetooth to connect in these cases.

-- the Home button is no longer mechanical. Now it's a sensor that detects how hard you press it. The "button" sensor can make a variety of vibrations to give feedback to your touch. The sensor also can also produce several sounds. Apple is letting third parties program their apps to use the new Home sensor, so this sensor may soon be used in interesting new ways. Some reviewers who have had hands-on experience with the iPhone 7 have found the new Home button to feel different/strange/weird/unattractive (you choose the adjective).

-- iPhone 7 models will ship in mid-September. Shortly thereafter the usual tech blogs will undoubtedly publish comparisons between the iPhone 7 models and competitors.

-- iPhone 7 models ship with iOS 10. iOS 10 will be available for many older iPhones and iPads starting on 9/13. Not all older models can use the new OS. Check before trying to upgrade.

(More to come)

pluton

Adventurer
You didn't mention that it has no headphone jack. I really liked the old supplied wired headset for long phone conversations, especially in noisy environments. They sounded awful for music reproduction. Apple will sell $150 pair of BT earpods (w/mic, I assume?).
Hard to see how this doesn't backfire, but I'm not a power user like you guys.

OCD Overland

Explorer
You didn't mention that it has no headphone jack. I really liked the old supplied wired headset for long phone conversations, especially in noisy environments. They sounded awful for music reproduction. Apple will sell $150 pair of BT earpods (w/mic, I assume?).
Still comes with wired headphones. Plus an adapter to use old headphones.

OCD Overland

Explorer
I'm seriously considering ditching my DSLR for good and just getting a 7 plus. Lugging my camera around the trails has gotten to be a pain and frankly, I've become more and more dissatisfied with the photos from my DSLR with every iteration of the iPhone. The phone just does a better job of getting focus, lighting, and color correct from the start. My D300 is admittedly a bit dated, and I make no claim on being a great photographer, but every photo I take from it has to be painstakingly corrected in Lightroom just to look decent whereas the shots from my phone look good without having to do much of anything. Just hit the magic wand and fiddle a bit with saturation and contrast and they really pop. Now that they have the dual camera and 12 megapixels, I'm really thinking it's time to go all in with the phone. I mean, it's that, or spend big chunk of change on a new camera body - I know a new DSLR would be better, but how much and for how long before the next phone leapfrogs that?

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
And still no wireless charging.

I'm no Apple fan, I might even be an Apple hater given enough provocation, but I think the wireless charging is overrated and if I were making a phone, I'd ditch it in favor of more useful hardware or reduced weight/size. If that is the decision process by Apple on that, I think they made a wise design choice omitting that feature.

I have a Galaxy S7 and a wireless pad (the tilted upright one) on my nightstand, and honestly, it's handy, but not that handy. I find myself not picking my phone up when it's on the pad because I do not want to interrupt the power transfer, something that wouldn't matter on a wired connection.

Most nights I do leave it on the pad, and my phone is warm in the morning when I pick it up. Not hot or uncomfortable, but that can't be good for the battery. The biggest benefit to it is not wearing out the connector cover flap on my protective case, and maybe no need to untangle a wire to clip my phone in it's holster for the day.

Actually, the charger would do me more good at work, I'm at my desk and can remove the phone shortly after it tops off, so no long term heat buildup. However, for as much as it cost, I'm not leaving that sitting out for someone to steal when I leave the room, maybe in a more secure office I would.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Apple will sell $150 pair of BT earpods (w/mic, I assume?).

Stuff like that is why I have an Android phone. Standard run of the mill can buy them by the dozen USB connection, and a 3.5mm 4 contact audio jack. I think I literally have a handful of USB cords somewhere and throw one in any pack or vehicle or desk I spend much time near. I recently got a new headset for my PC, and intentionally got one with 3.5mm plugs instead of full size USB because then it would adapt to my phone, tablet, laptop, whatever.

To me a "power user" would prefer the Android based phones because of much more flexibility with peripherals and hardware. Apple deliberately restricts that kind of interfacing so they can get their piece of the profit.

I have an iPad, and when I finally decided to give in and get a smart phone, I knew from using it I didn't want an Apple.

But if you just want a phone and don't want to think too hard about it, Apples work fine. I just think they have a more sinister approach toward their customers by goading and twisting their arm to buy peripherals that are not universally useful.

robgendreau

Explorer
I just think they have a more sinister approach toward their customers by goading and twisting their arm to buy peripherals that are not universally useful.

Funny, I bought an Android tablet BECAUSE Apple didn't have peripherals for iOS devices. Took forever to get external GPS for example.

Losing a century old plug, as mentioned in the OP, is no biggy, and I'll love that it's made possible IP67 weather proofing. And for photographers the wide gamut screen is gonna be VERY nice, as well as the raw support.

That being said, I haven't had tons of luck with iPhone reliability the last couple buys. Just had a logic board replaced. Under warranty, but still a pain, and disastrous if on the road.

OCD Overland

Explorer
Talking about "power users" of phones is sort of like talking about "power users" of electric pencil sharpeners; i.e., there are geeks, and then there are geeks.

opg4759

For HAM use the removal of the 3.5mm jack will impact AFSK audio needed to drive some applications like APRS, PSK, SSTV. It still needs to be seen how the adapters will work with handling audio output and input over the lightening connector since with an iPhone this is your only option since Apple doesn't think their users need Serial over Bluetooth.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Losing a century old plug, as mentioned in the OP, is no biggy, and I'll love that it's made possible IP67 weather proofing.

Umm, I hate to burst your bubble, but my Galaxy S7 has a 3.5mm plug, and is IP68 rated......

Not that it matters, but if you bought some reasoning the two are related, well they aren't.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I'm seriously considering ditching my DSLR for good and just getting a 7 plus. Lugging my camera around the trails has gotten to be a pain and frankly, I've become more and more dissatisfied with the photos from my DSLR with every iteration of the iPhone. The phone just does a better job of getting focus, lighting, and color correct from the start. My D300 is admittedly a bit dated, and I make no claim on being a great photographer, but every photo I take from it has to be painstakingly corrected in Lightroom just to look decent whereas the shots from my phone look good without having to do much of anything. Just hit the magic wand and fiddle a bit with saturation and contrast and they really pop. Now that they have the dual camera and 12 megapixels, I'm really thinking it's time to go all in with the phone. I mean, it's that, or spend big chunk of change on a new camera body - I know a new DSLR would be better, but how much and for how long before the next phone leapfrogs that?

Then, you're using your Nikon wrong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior