Seeking information on import-sized Bigfoot and Northern Lite campers

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
wow, thanks for all of the info TreeGo! this definitely narrows my search down to BF's vs NL's. NL's only have 5'10" headroom from what folks are telling me. 6'4" is much better considering i'm 6'3".

the only concern i'm having at the moment is the overhang out the bed since i have the shorter 5 foot bed and total payload capacity: for my truck, it's 1,175#. but for an access cab 4x2 w/4-cyl. motor it's 1,620#???. looks like the BF would put me over without me even being in the truck! this seems ridiculous. maybe i do need to look at 4Wheel Campers again....

Hey. I own a 1994 Bigfoot 6-11 and have it on a 2003 4x4 v6 (3.4 - 5vzfe) Taco, and it has served me very, very well. Interior height is 6'4" in the BF, so different from the Northern Lite. First gen. Tacos can carry 1585lbs., but I don't know what other gens can handle. My BF 6-10 is 490kg/1080lbs dry, but has had the hot water heater removed, so it's around 1000lbs. Last owner of the Taco replaced the shocks and leaf springs, and I installed Timbren SESs (instead of airbags, which are way more expensive), which have worked remarkably well (see pic below). Lots of storage like the NL and is great for solo journeys. A bit cramped for two, but manageable. Fridge, furnace, 3-burner stove, and sink all work well, and the fiberglass clam shell keeps things warm or cool depending on what's going on outside. I also installed a solar panel to charge the battery on the roof, and it has never drained so far. I would recommend one if you can find it, and the price isn't too ridiculous...good luck!

View attachment 366970

thanks again! i saw your other post mentioning that you'd posted in my thread. as i mentioned above, i'm starting to have concerns about weight now more so than dimensions. not sure what i should do about this. i love the BF and NL campers for their weatherproofness, but the weight might stop me. if dry is over 1,000#, i am struggling to see how i could add water, gear, people, dogs, etc....

Hey NorthernWoodsmen!

Ok, so I took the camper off the Taco (2003 - 74"/6'2" bed length) later today and measured the dims:

The camper is wider/width from the tail gate/back of camper to the wheel wells laying flat in the bed. I measured about 50" at the widest point at the top.

The width between the wheel wells up to where the camper butts up against the the cab of the truck is: 39-40" (so 10" narrower than the camper at the back/tail gate width). So this is the actual width inside the bed, between the wheel wells.

As long as you have the tail gate down (or take it off) the camper base is obviously 6'11".

I also measured about 24" from where the camper sits on the tail gate (about half way) to where it tapers in the 5" on each side at the rear end of the wheel wells, and then runs at 39-40" width up to the cab.

Height clearance above the bed is around 2" or more, and I don't think this will be an issue in newer gen. Tacos.

Hope this info. helps. Cheers.

TreeGo

I read about the weight disparity between certain Taco trims (and gens) too. Weird! How a 4cyl., 2-wheel drive has a greater carrying capacity than a v6 4x4 is beyond me - perhaps because it weighs less to begin with, so it can carry more? I have also read that certain BFs, depending on year, are lighter (or heavier) than the one I have (1994), but only by around 100-200lbs., so that may still be an issue. Some of the same era/90s NLs are fairly light as well (700-800lbs - from the very few ads I saw on kijiji), but the height inside may be an issue. If you check out the NL website (which I'm sure you have), though, (http://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_lite_610.php), they list the dry weight as 1025lbs., but that may be for the newer ones only(?).

And with the shorter bed, you may have to think about how the camper is centered. Too far back may require a beefed up tie-down system to keep it in the bed safely, but I don't know enough about that - perhaps someone else knows about centering a camper in a short box and what the limits are?

You mention the 4Wheel campers, and I have seen a bunch of them on newer Tacos this summer (around 4-5 of them). They are not cheap, though, and weight depends ultimately what they contain - furnace, stove, refrigerator, etc. - as the options are many and all come with extra lbs. in the end. A few weeks back, I saw an older, pretty bare bones one on kijiji that had a bed and storage (and maybe a furnace - canopy in pop-up looked like it had had better days) that was fairly light (600lbs?), but the seller, from B.C. I think, wanted something like $7000 for it. It must have sold, as the ad is gone...not sure of other options out there for you, except maybe buying a first gen. Taco :)-))?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
i can get why a 4x4 double cab and a 4x4 single cab would have differing capacity, but it seems to me as well that a 4x4 should be more stout and have a larger capacity inherently over a 4x2. what are we missing? either way, it is a little frustrating that the capacity is so small on these trucks. but, maybe for the good as i really want a camper van and maybe this is confirming my dreams? or maybe i should build a trailer and graft a westfalia top on it?

i'm starting to really question if it makes good sense to try to fit these heavier campers into my truck. if i can find a four wheel camper that is older, used, and a decent price, i might go that route. but have really been thinking about going back to my original plan of the camper van- dedicated camping rig. the trailer idea could work too. on another thread someone linked to some nice utility trailers outfitted with a fold out tent, but i could easily find something similar used and modify for my needs. although, not really excited about towing a trailer as it really limits where you can go and makes everything more difficult.

I read about the weight disparity between certain Taco trims (and gens) too. Weird! How a 4cyl., 2-wheel drive has a greater carrying capacity than a v6 4x4 is beyond me - perhaps because it weighs less to begin with, so it can carry more? I have also read that certain BFs, depending on year, are lighter (or heavier) than the one I have (1994), but only by around 100-200lbs., so that may still be an issue. Some of the same era/90s NLs are fairly light as well (700-800lbs - from the very few ads I saw on kijiji), but the height inside may be an issue. If you check out the NL website (which I'm sure you have), though, (http://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_lite_610.php), they list the dry weight as 1025lbs., but that may be for the newer ones only(?).

And with the shorter bed, you may have to think about how the camper is centered. Too far back may require a beefed up tie-down system to keep it in the bed safely, but I don't know enough about that - perhaps someone else knows about centering a camper in a short box and what the limits are?

You mention the 4Wheel campers, and I have seen a bunch of them on newer Tacos this summer (around 4-5 of them). They are not cheap, though, and weight depends ultimately what they contain - furnace, stove, refrigerator, etc. - as the options are many and all come with extra lbs. in the end. A few weeks back, I saw an older, pretty bare bones one on kijiji that had a bed and storage (and maybe a furnace - canopy in pop-up looked like it had had better days) that was fairly light (600lbs?), but the seller, from B.C. I think, wanted something like $7000 for it. It must have sold, as the ad is gone...not sure of other options out there for you, except maybe buying a first gen. Taco :)-))?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I read about the weight disparity between certain Taco trims (and gens) too. Weird! How a 4cyl., 2-wheel drive has a greater carrying capacity than a v6 4x4 is beyond me - perhaps because it weighs less to begin with, so it can carry more?

Yahtzee!!

::Squish::

Observer
Having just gotten into truck campers in the last year, and having done a lot of research
There are a lot of campers out there that over-weigh their trucks payload.

We have to watch weight on our F350 and our Bigfoot 1500, and it doesn't have AC, oven or microwave.

I have a 2003 Toy Tacoma Prerunner V6 Xcab

I looked, and lusted after a bigfoot for my Taco it's payload is 1,745 (xcab V6)
I really, really wanted it to work, I love my Taco, and I didn't want to buy another truck.
But with three of us and dog we figured it would just be too small physically and overweight since we are about 450# in bodies alone.
I kept at it, looking at all the options, the wife didn't want to sleep on a truck top tent and really wanted a private bathroom
I thought maybe I could get her to comprimse on the bathroom thing if we could find a a Bigfoot import truck camper.

I thought about removing most of the doors and replacing them with bungee nets (shock cord knotted into a grid)
Swapping out the drawer fronts to something less heavier, and replacing the bed with a couple of hiking cots also
removing the jacks and going with a lighter table set up, but even doing all of that that wouldn't gain much payload, maybe 100-125 pounds more payload.

So we ended up biting the bullet and moving up from the Taco to the F350 and we happen to find a decent deal on the truck and camper.

And I'll tell you what, though easy to drive our Tacoma, it was a gas hog, over the 13 years we've owned it we get about 17mpg city and 20mpg highway.

The Ford, it gets 13mpg with the camper on (it's a powerstroke diesel) and about 15-17mpg with the camper off, (we haven't had the camper off that often so we don't have a long term record of the MPG)

The good news is the two trucks were about an even swap price and value wise, within 10K miles of each other and the taco was worth slightly more vs the F350.

Driving the Ford around, it's not that much worse then the Taco and boy howdy for the three of us plus a dog, it's SO much more comfortable size wise, I can finally stretch out (and I'm only 5'8")

I have to say, even with them being heavy, bigfoots are nice campers, I'm finding there's some issues on ours mostly from a mild level of neglect mixed with use.
Nothing too serious.

but I'd suggest taking a look beyond what fits on the Taco, especially since Taco's are worth so much on the used market. and for some reason people look past the mid trim level superdutys, there's lots of XLT F250 and 350's out there for just about the same price as an F150. IF someone would have told me that 13 years after I bought my Taco I'd be switching it for a F350 would have laughed at them.
The Ford literally was twice the cost new as the Tacoma was. and today they are about even with the same miles.

Markgyver

Observer
I have wondered on the dimensions of the Northern Lite 6'-11" and thought if you could section out 1'-3" From behind the cab slide the camper forward and have a larger over hang and fiberglass it back in to it a 5'-8" bed.DSC00136.jpg

Last edited:

simple

Adventurer
Having just gotten into truck campers in the last year, and having done a lot of research
There are a lot of campers out there that over-weigh their trucks payload.

We have to watch weight on our F350 and our Bigfoot 1500, and it doesn't have AC, oven or microwave.

I have a 2003 Toy Tacoma Prerunner V6 Xcab

I looked, and lusted after a bigfoot for my Taco it's payload is 1,745 (xcab V6)
I really, really wanted it to work, I love my Taco, and I didn't want to buy another truck.
But with three of us and dog we figured it would just be too small physically and overweight since we are about 450# in bodies alone.
I kept at it, looking at all the options, the wife didn't want to sleep on a truck top tent and really wanted a private bathroom
I thought maybe I could get her to comprimse on the bathroom thing if we could find a a Bigfoot import truck camper.

I thought about removing most of the doors and replacing them with bungee nets (shock cord knotted into a grid)
Swapping out the drawer fronts to something less heavier, and replacing the bed with a couple of hiking cots also
removing the jacks and going with a lighter table set up, but even doing all of that that wouldn't gain much payload, maybe 100-125 pounds more payload.

So we ended up biting the bullet and moving up from the Taco to the F350 and we happen to find a decent deal on the truck and camper.

And I'll tell you what, though easy to drive our Tacoma, it was a gas hog, over the 13 years we've owned it we get about 17mpg city and 20mpg highway.

The Ford, it gets 13mpg with the camper on (it's a powerstroke diesel) and about 15-17mpg with the camper off, (we haven't had the camper off that often so we don't have a long term record of the MPG)

The good news is the two trucks were about an even swap price and value wise, within 10K miles of each other and the taco was worth slightly more vs the F350.

Driving the Ford around, it's not that much worse then the Taco and boy howdy for the three of us plus a dog, it's SO much more comfortable size wise, I can finally stretch out (and I'm only 5'8")

I have to say, even with them being heavy, bigfoots are nice campers, I'm finding there's some issues on ours mostly from a mild level of neglect mixed with use.
Nothing too serious.

but I'd suggest taking a look beyond what fits on the Taco, especially since Taco's are worth so much on the used market. and for some reason people look past the mid trim level superdutys, there's lots of XLT F250 and 350's out there for just about the same price as an F150. IF someone would have told me that 13 years after I bought my Taco I'd be switching it for a F350 would have laughed at them.
The Ford literally was twice the cost new as the Tacoma was. and today they are about even with the same miles.

Yep, when it comes to campers, towing and hauling a Taco is no comparison to a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. Tacos still have the advantage for offroading though.

Jonnyo

Observer
IMG_0700[1].jpg

this is what a NL 6-10 look like on a 5.8 short bed F150. mine weight at 680lbs so it dost even squat the truck. i had to build a 8 inches platform to make sure the camper clear the cab and side rail. This camper is amazing and so much fun! i m still getting around 18mpg driving around BC/Alberta mountain, and it s very well insulated for cold weather!

steviebam

View attachment 372472

this is what a NL 6-10 look like on a 5.8 short bed F150. mine weight at 680lbs so it dost even squat the truck. i had to build a 8 inches platform to make sure the camper clear the cab and side rail. This camper is amazing and so much fun! i m still getting around 18mpg driving around BC/Alberta mountain, and it s very well insulated for cold weather!

Yes it is a great little camper. We had one on our dodge 2500 cummins. We built a platform that was 5" to clear the cab. All went well until we had to stop a little faster and the camper shifted almost denting the side cab. There is nothing to stop the sideway motion of the camper. If I had to stop at highway speed it would have been a dismal failure. Sold the camper immediately after that. It might work for you if you bolt the extension floor to the frame and then bolt the camper to that. There is a reason why they build campers to fit the appropriate trucks. Just my opinion.

Jonnyo

Observer
Yes it is a great little camper. We had one on our dodge 2500 cummins. We built a platform that was 5" to clear the cab. All went well until we had to stop a little faster and the camper shifted almost denting the side cab. There is nothing to stop the sideway motion of the camper. If I had to stop at highway speed it would have been a dismal failure. Sold the camper immediately after that. It might work for you if you bolt the extension floor to the frame and then bolt the camper to that. There is a reason why they build campers to fit the appropriate trucks. Just my opinion.

i guess it depends how you attach and how you build the platform.

the platform is bolted to the truck bed and it as it s own side rails. It also as storage under it and on the side. add the 4 brophy side rail attachment point and the camper simply cant move side to side or back and forth. and i got extra storage. As work so far....only way to get the camper to move is to flip the truck upside down!

my budget was 3000$. i could not find any lightweight campers in canada that was 4 seasons, would fit on a f150 5.8 box and not required suspension modification. This fit the bill just right!

Last edited:

steviebam

Good thinking on the attachment points. I did not know about those and used torklift tie downs. Rigged properly but still not able to hold from shifting sideways.

It was a nice little camper, the couch seating was a little narrow. Cold weather camping near Teslin lake we would get too much condensation using the propane heater. Later bought a little sardine wood stove for our next camper, or we might add a diesel heater. You really need dry heat to get rid of all the moisture. Fun camping to you Jonnyo!!

TreeGo

I have wondered on the dimensions of the Northern Lite 6'-11" and thought if you could section out 1'-3" From behind the cab slide the camper forward and have a larger over hang and fiberglass it back in to it a 5'-8" bed.View attachment 371653

Hi Markgyver,

That part of the camper you'd like to section out (on both sides) includes propane tank holder (20 lbs), and on the opposite side, the hot water heater (mine was removed). Not sure where you'd be able to put those two 'essential' items, as the camper is quite small on the inside already. You would also have to move (towards the back) the 5 gal water tank which is hidden in the step/bench up to the cabover. There are also electrical and plumbing channels that run through that section that would have to be moved. And, obviously, the clam shell design would be affected, but sealing it up may be possible.

gordon price

i guess it depends how you attach and how you build the platform.

the platform is bolted to the truck bed and it as it s own side rails. It also as storage under it and on the side. add the 4 brophy side rail attachment point and the camper simply cant move side to side or back and forth. and i got extra storage. As work so far....only way to get the camper to move is to flip the truck upside down!

my budget was 3000$. i could not find any lightweight campers in canada that was 4 seasons, would fit on a f150 5.8 box and not required suspension modification. This fit the bill just right!
View attachment 372472

I just put a deposit on a NL 610 but the camper jacks are way to narrow at front. How much extension did you have to add to your front stands. My F150 is a little wider than yours, I think, on the side panels just below the gas cap, about 79" at the top 72". Also how did you get a the front tie down on the camper. Cheers Gord (HELP)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94