Dirt Bike Mounted w/ FWC

jimmygle

Hi, I apologize if this is in the wrong section--I just joined this forum and have already learned a ton.

I'm getting a FWC this winter/next spring and am wondering what the best options are for mounting my dirt bike to my truck with the camper on, while still being able to access the camper. What I've been thinking about is a combination hitch extender with a hitch mounted carrier/ramp. Something like these two:

• amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-SKY1375-Motorcycle/dp/B00916MMJG/
  • etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Reese/RP11004.html

Has anyone done anything like this before? Think it'd work, or am I being a dip****?

Thanks for the help!

1stDeuce

Explorer
I built a rack for the front and one for the back for our Baja trip... We just used the one on the back for a Yellowston/Glacier trip too. It does block access somewhat, but by loosening the strap on the bike, I can lean it back and get in for a snack or something. I pull the bike when we make camp, and use the rack as a step to get into the camper.

If your bike is 250cc or smaller, it'll be OK on the front, though headlights may be somewhat covered. (We try not to drive at night anyway)

I suppose I should update my thread with better pics... So many projects, so little time...

jimmygle

Thanks for the replies!

If I mounted to the front, would I need to beef up the front suspension at all? My truck is a 2015 Sierra 1500 1/2 ton with airbags in the rear for the camper. The bike is a Kawasaki 250 KLX Dual Sport... weighs about 250-300lb I think.

robert

Expedition Leader
The airbags may suffice in the rear but the front will definitely need some help. It's "only" 250lbs, but it's cantilevered past the front wheels. I carried a DRZ400s on the back of my Tacoma with OME Dakar springs and while it rode fine, the single point hitch mount, even with a bolt on clamp, still moved some. If I were doing it over, I'd make a custom bumper and carrier with dual receiver hitches to better stabilize it. Be sure you use a fork brace to keep the front suspension from compressing and causing slack in your tie-downs. Also, make sure that the bike can't bounce/move back into the camper. I always leaned the bike outwards a little to make sure the bars couldn't hit the rear window on my camper shell.

dawnhoyden

Observer
I've got an MX Hauler - it's hydraulic and I can lower it and have access the my FWC without having to unload the bike.

ZrY21D3VM9h72m9etiP3fFlpeP6Si9tMuE_LyBZ1-gEpvWX6WkcfHLtO-0FS4hs8nvkMG7DO8Hn5Dak=w1600-h900-rw-no

COBPWnci72tA1PUYfX5sF3BEXUrE942h9J292hzVYOnl3Mb0clUDVwzKDvGFcITgpZsuP7y5ZbiYc6o=w1600-h900-rw-no

dawnhoyden

Observer
It's solid. The only thing I worry about - so make sure to tie down - are the handle bars, which if left loose, can hit the camper back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior