Safety Device rack flooring?

voyageur

Adventurer
I have discovered that my SD rack is almost useless without some kind of flooring. I tried to by the one piece that is made for it but the company website says no sales to US. Looking for suggestions for material and source for roof rack flooring.

Thank you...

Robert Bills

Explorer
Expanded steel mesh is commonly used - available from any metal supply.

Like this:

expanded-steel-mesh-3.jpg

voyageur

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply Billy. Maybe I could find that expanded metal in aluminum. I guess I was just always thinking of some kind of plastic...

David

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
There have been some excellent suggestions here in the past. One was some sort of polymer though I don't recall details.

voyageur

Adventurer
Thanks Muddy Mudskipper. That vehicle is awesome... Bookmarked the site for later.

Did you get my Pay-Pal?

David

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
voyageur said:
Thanks Muddy Mudskipper. That vehicle is awesome... Bookmarked the site for later.

Did you get my Pay-Pal?

David

No problem! Some folks like to use the Starlite XL marine plywood but IMO the Farmtek flooring is a bit nicer.

...and yes I did. Thank you! I didn't put two-and-two together at first and was going, What the he!! is voyageur talking about? :oops:

I'll get the grill out for you tomorrow.

Last edited:

voyageur

Adventurer
Small world... Glad you received it OK. I am looking forward to installing the grille on my "Black" HOT Disco I... Even if it keeps the engine room a little cooler, it is worth the investment.

Cool Voyageur.

PS: I just ordered three pieces of the FarmTek flooring online. Thanks' for the tip.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
voyageur said:
Small world... Glad you received it OK. I am looking forward to installing the grille on my "Black" HOT Disco I... Even if it keeps the engine room a little cooler, it is worth the investment.

It'll definitely help to increase the airflow. I live in the desert so it would have definitely come in handy, but as I mentioned on LRR, cutting the grill was not an option I wanted to explore.

voyageur said:
PS: I just ordered three pieces of the FarmTek flooring online. Thanks' for the tip.

:26_7_2:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Glad I saw this thread. I have plywood on my ConFer rack now, but it's so dang heavy its ridiculous. I like the looks of the FarmTek stuff. Expanded Aluminum is to flimsy to be of any use....tried it on a 48x48 rack I had on my old yota.
I'll be subscribing to this to hear about any updates and reviews on the flooring.:D

jatibb

Adventurer
finally, someone drops the name of the co. for purchase.
one question, can you stand on this after its installed? im thinking of a small deck on the front of the trailer im building (load space) 4'x5' with some supports underneath.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Kinda late, but in case someone else is reading this.

I used the King Starlite XL. I wanted solid flooring. Same price as the farmtek stuff.

Craig

jonny123

Source for Expanded metal/mesh

The aluminum material is obviously going to be much too flimsy. You will know just from picking it up that it is something that you will not want to stand on at all.

Try some plain steel or stainless steel material, maybe like a 4 x 4 wire mesh material?

Try Mcmaster Carr or a manufacturer like Belleville Wire Cloth:

http://www.bwire.com/

They can offer you these kinds of materials in alrge quantity at a great price. See what mcmaster carr has to offer price wise, they always go up and down with their price and availability because they are obviously a buy and sell company.

Worth a shot good luck guys.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Kinda late, but in case someone else is reading this.

I used the King Starlite XL. I wanted solid flooring. Same price as the farmtek stuff.

Craig

Craig, I want solid as well, so will probably end up going with your recommendation. How thick should I get? Want to support standing weight but stay as light as possible.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey Mark,

I went with 3/8". I know that Ho at Expedition Exchange went with 1/2". I think the appropriate thickness depends on the distance between supporting bars. I didn't want to go thicker than 3/8" due to the extra weight up high. I never had any trouble standing on my flooring and can't think of any reason why I wouldn't go with it again.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior