Stupid Trailer Refurbishing Questions

KE7JFF

Adventurer
So, I'm in the process of doing a light overhaul of a small travel trailer that was a donation to the search & rescue group I am a member of, which when done will be used kind of as a R&R unit when we have those long searches out in the middle nowhere so we can still have some comforts of home.

This unit is a vintage 1978 trailer, unknown manufacturer and model. It was previously used by a fire department for their canteen trailer so I know a bunch of stuff has been added and changed to it. I just have some stupid questions in trying to repair and restore it for use here...

1) My understanding of trailer wiring is that the battery for the trailer is usually changed from the black wire on the 7 way trailer plug correct? The reason I ask this is that it looks like the previous operator decided they didn't need a 7-way trailer plug and "converted" it to a 4 way....

2) From the looks of it, this trailer never had hot water service of any kind. On the kitchen sink, there is a knob for hot water but no hose connected to it. How hard would be to add a hot water heater? I would be only using it for the sink plus an exterior shower.

Last edited:

truck mechanic

Adventurer
yup, black wire is for charging, as for hot water, depends on what you are looking for. Years ago I put a small 110 volt one under the sink in a camper. If you want propane, I will be a bit harder,

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Thanks...I'm up in the air if I want to convert it back to a 7-way; I'm leaning towards now.

Yeah, I'm looking at options for a heater; I'm thinking electric just for simplicity and we will have generator on-board.

And actually that reminds me; this trailer from what I can see, has its propane connection not at the front at the tounge, but at the rear?

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Well, I'm going with electric heater for the time being; got someone who has a unit that will be donated that would for the small interior space.

Regarding the water heater, it sounds like the best option for us would be to get one of those outdoor tankless shower units.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Yeah, we will have generator support; you can't see it, but on the back there a rack for a generator which I'll mount back there. I'm going to find a HVAC unit for it down the road; maybe by next summer.

And actually, we will have a Keriug coffee maker in it! We have a food service trailer in progress already.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Here is a nice update: the awning works!
14522768_10153970328582023_5040121102460468904_n.jpg

Also as you can see we have a generator on the back that works OK.

We also found a heater in our surplus collection; its an RV propane heater, but it will turn that trailer into a sauna at 20,000 BTUs...and it will need some retrofitting to put in.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd give the roof a good scrub and a preventative fresh coating. Especially given where you are.

http://us.henry.com/roofing/reflect...ngs/687-enviro-white-elastomeric-roof-coating

$_1.JPG

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Yeah, I think the roof might have that stuff already on it; I know the previous operators of that trailer, a fire department cateen team did a lot of repair work on it and mentioned they fixed the roof.

Its getting a power washing this coming week before I pull it out for an event we are doing this weekend out on the Oregon Coast. Going to finish up installing the batteries and the 12V System and call it "operational" for any time we need to use it.

However, I learned that the counter top seen in this picture below was previously was where a full size bed was; what I am thinking of doing is converting that area back to a bed area with the ability to turn it into a seating area of some sort.
IMG_6738.jpg

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Thanks...I'm up in the air if I want to convert it back to a 7-way; I'm leaning towards now.

Yeah, I'm looking at options for a heater; I'm thinking electric just for simplicity and we will have generator on-board.

And actually that reminds me; this trailer from what I can see, has its propane connection not at the front at the tongue, but at the rear?

You should convert to 7-Pin just for the ability to run trailer brakes.

762X39

Explorer
My two cents worth as a trailer owner, put the 7 pin back in and either connect or install trailer brakes. Even a 1000lb trailer (your trailer is definitely not 1000lb) should have trailer brakes, who cares what the regulations are. Way better control in an unforeseen (they are always unforeseen) emergency.:coffee:

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm going to tackle the 7-way plug next...I figured out where the previous genius did their splicing; I can carefully pull that out and get it back in order.

As for trailer brakes; that's going to be another project down the road once I see if I can get the hardware donated for it.

And I didn't get to take it on a test run last weekend; the event we had got cancelled. But however, I'm looking to take it out in November somewhere.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Well, just an update...as part of a "deal", I'm going to be taking possession free of charge as we will be getting a donation of a better trailer.

So, with that, I got a list of things I'll do it it once I take possession. I'm going to be converting the shelf that was installed in the rear to bed space; I'm probably will lower the shelf down to a good level for a bed then go find the proper mattress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz