Montero pulls left

montero98ls

Observer
Ok guys so all of sudden my truck Started pulling left. Initially I was thinking. It's alignment issue so was going to replace ball joints and tie rods (all warrantied) then get an alignment but recently I started noticing that when I press the brake it will pull and straighten the steering wheel. So my theory was that driver side caliper was sticking causing it pull that direction and when I press the brake the other side is applied so then tracks them together, I'm in the processing of moving so haven't had time to tear into it yet but I did check both rotors after driving with my IR therometer and both sides were pretty much the same 133 and 136....

So that kind of threw me off. The only thing I haven't replaced was the lower control arm bushings so not side if that could do it.

Any ideas?

TheMole

Adventurer
If it just started happening I would think the rotors wouldn't have worn too much yet. You might be able to see that the brake pad is worn more on one side than the other. Try touching the wheels after a drive and see if the drivers side is hotter. Usually a sticky caliper would cause it too heat up.

montero98ls

Observer
If it just started happening I would think the rotors wouldn't have worn too much yet. You might be able to see that the brake pad is worn more on one side than the other. Try touching the wheels after a drive and see if the drivers side is hotter. Usually a sticky caliper would cause it too heat up.

I was checking the rotors with my IR thermometer. Should I be checking wheels instead? The temps were the same on the rotors.

jla2804

Hello, new to the forum
This was happening with my truck shortly before the opposite side brake caliper stuck for good. Not sure if yours is failing also but its probably worth troubleshooting that. Mine started grinding down and within a short time locked up. I recommend lifting the opposite wheel up and checking if it spins freely. It can also be stuck inward so pulling the tire and looking at the brakes while someone pushes them is also worth a shot. Make sure both pistons are moving. Mine failed inward, causing the pull to opposite side, then outward, locking that wheel up.
Hope that helps

montero98ls

Observer
Thanks for the tip. I finally had a chance to take a look at it and one of passenger side control arm mount bolts got really loose. Tightened back up and good as new. Didn't update thread cause it was a simple fix and diagnostic once I had time to actually get in and check on it.

montero98ls

Observer
Thanks. I have aftermarket upper arms. I think I remedied the problem with the shaft nuts coming loose by tack welding them, but this is the first time I've had a problem with the mounting bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz