Suburban tire dilemma...

Texans Outdoors

TexansOutdoors.com
I had a similar goals and similar situation with my 99 k-1500 burb. I just put in a new engine, trans, a/c... everything. I'm $11k in and way over budget. I opted with #4. I figured the stock burb has more clearance than most Overland vehicles. And it will still do 90% of everything i want to do anyway. It's not the destination. it's the journey. It hasn't turned out the way I planned but it ain't too bad either.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yeah, my burb has way to much money in it for the milage thats on it. I have 265 teratracs on mine......FOr now! Once I get the ford keys and H2 springs on it, I will get a set of 285s....have her sittin right anyways. Need to get to driving it regularly....Being my plow vehicle as well, takes it toll on the ole girl!

justcuz

Explorer
GMT400's 245/75x16's were stock and Z71's got 265/75x16. My opinion is a 285/75x16 is one size over stock basically.
GMT800's might be different. I bought my 2000 used and it came with 265/70x16's, so did my daughters 2004 Z71 Tahoe. Again 285's do not represent that big of an increase in size.
Oddly enough, both my speedometers are more accurate with the 285's than any other tire I've had on my vehicles.

p nut

butter
Oddly enough, both my speedometers are more accurate with the 285's than any other tire I've had on my vehicles.

I think that's the case with most any vehicle. +1 size results in a more accurate speedo. It's just a way car manufacturers can tout their MPG claims while complying with the law. Can't remember what the margin was, but there is some there to fudge. They'll do what they can do maximize that EPA figure. Honda got in trouble (along with others) a few years ago for being a little too aggressive with this.

rayra

Expedition Leader
265/70-17 original equipment on both our current GMT800 Z71s. Can't recall what was on our '99 Z71 Tahoe. Almost certainly 16s.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier