ARB Twin Compressor just hums, no output

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Hi guys,
I was using my new-to-me ARB CKMA12 twin air compressor coming off the trail. It filled two tires just fine (it would cycle off by itself between tires). I went to air up the third tire and all I get is a humming/vibrating sound from the compressor, but no air output. I removed the air filters, but that didn't help. Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas? Have you experienced this before?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
The ARB Twins are known to run hot. I don't know if they have a thermal overload protector, but you could check for that. ARB tech support is pretty good, so just call them.

SWbySWesty

The ARB Twins are known to run hot. I don't know if they have a thermal overload protector, but you could check for that. ARB tech support is pretty good, so just call them.
This is a possibility. It was 95' in Gorman and we had just gotten off the trail so the engine compartment was even hotter. The compressor sits just behind the radiator so all the hot air pushed through the radiator got even hotter while idling and filling tires. I'll go through the wiring more thoroughly once I get a new fuse to make sure it's all ship shape.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Why the humming?

I'm wondering where the fuse was located. Was it on the positive side between the compressor motor and the battery? Also, was the wire gauge adequate? Heat and use (heat) matter on amps delivered.

SWbySWesty

Yes, it was between the compressor and battery. It was right by the battery. It's the wire harness supplied by ARB. I have read that under very hot circumstances, it can overload the wiring and pop a fuse. Some recommend a 50A fuse and larger gauge wires, but I'll stick with having some replacement 40A fuses with me. I'd rather pop an easily replaced fuse than run more current or risk fire.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
For a given load, as volts go down amps go up. If your battery was low, then you may have been drawing enough amperage to pop that fuse.

SWbySWesty

Update: After speaking to ARB tech support, we decided that it was extremely hot and I was running the AC which put a lot of load on the engine which led to higher amperage and popped the fuse. Now, I can prevent that by using my AEV ProCal for an extended high idle while using the compressor to prevent voltage drops. I replaced the fuse and it works just fine now. If it blows in the future, I'll reevaluate, but even ARB said I should be fine. (And I have an extra fuse in the glovebox just in case it happens again so I can get home).

SWbySWesty

Update - I've had zero issues with using the procal to raise the rpm of the motor while using the compressor. It's also handy for winching!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier