My Safe Jack extensions don't fit my new bottle jack-suggestions?

surlyman

Hi all,

I just purchased a 3-piece starter kit from Safe Jack . I also purchased an SPX Power Team 5-ton bottle jack. The ram for the jack seems to measure 1.25" but the sides are rounded just enough to keep the SJ extensions from fitting properly. I'm going to send the jack back and buy a different model. I'd like to get something a little higher quality than the Omegas on the SJ site. Are any of you using the Safe Jack accessories? If so, what jacks are you using with them? I'm particularly curious to know if the extensions will fit the Norco 5-ton bottle jack.

Before someone suggests it, I did call Safe Jack, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Thanks

Robert Bills

Explorer
I think your issue is using something other than a 6-ton bottle jack.

I use a 6-ton bottle jack from Walmart for my Safejack extensions. Only $20 and it has never let me down. (It has been used many times over the years, primarily in severe conditions, with no oil weeping or other indications of wear or failure.)

13dc5053-5c4f-4503-9ec0-94861a3f1ee9_1.bef57d174f01f13237534d2dc98e5f05.jpeg

jgaz

Adventurer
Does your jack use a threaded extension screw similar to what is shown in the picture in post #2? If so, could the OD of this screw be causing you problems?

I had an issue using safe jack extensions with my 35+ year old Craftsman bottle jack. Slightly grinding down the OD of the screw pad solved the problem. Just a suggestion.

surlyman

Thanks for the replies. My 5-ton bottle jack looks identical to the 6-ton jack in your picture, but, as jgaz pointed out, the issue might be with the threaded extension. The top of the extension measure 1.25" but the sides are slightly flared and my extensions are getting hung up. Perhaps I can find someone to grind the sides for me. I really would like to avoid paying shipping to return a heavy bottle jack.

jgaz

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies. My 5-ton bottle jack looks identical to the 6-ton jack in your picture, but, as jgaz pointed out, the issue might be with the threaded extension. The top of the extension measure 1.25" but the sides are slightly flared and my extensions are getting hung up. Perhaps I can find someone to grind the sides for me. I really would like to avoid paying shipping to return a heavy bottle jack.
If you don't have a hard wheel bench grinder or an angle grinder, or a friend with the same, I would take your jack to a local mechanic and ask him to grind the OD for you. Offer him 10 bucks or ?. I might be dating myself, but we used to do similar things quite often when I worked in a gas station growing up (for a lot less than 10 bucks, lol). A small, independent shop might be your best bet.

surlyman

Thanks for the tip. Our local machine shop went out of business two years ago. In the end I've decided to return my jack and I'm purchasing the brand jack that Safe Jack sells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior