chassis rust

markmark9000

Hey guys, I'm hoping to solicit some feedback on a smb I'm considering buying. Not posting in smb section b/c this is more of a general expedition truck question regarding frame and underbody rust. The rig hails from the great state of Michigan and therefore has quite a bit of underbody rust. Some of it has been POR15'd but as you can see from the pics, much has not. I'm leery about making an offer on this. The rust looks pretty superficial but of course will continue to worsen. What do you guys think? Would this amount of rust be a deal breaker if you were me?

If I end up buying, it will be in San Diego and used for baja surf trips, west coast camping and utah ski trips.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/Mark_Weiss/embed/slideshow/smb%20rust"></iframe>

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
I looked at those pics and all I can offer is that it's hard to tell. Some of the pics show rust that appears to penetrate through the metal, but they're dark and I may not be seeing that right. What I can do, if it helps, is show what we found on ours.

In the front, there's a cross piece that had rust all the way through... this piece is obviously compromised and trash. Fortunately, this was the only real "damaging" rust.

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 3.51.00 PM.jpg

Behind this, there are about 3 inches of frame rail with some flaking rust. But, behind that the metal is all very sound. These pics show rust and, from just the pics alone, you might think it's a problem. But, it's just surface rust (a bit of protection, actually, if only the surface) and the metal underneath is totally sound (as you may see in the cut-exposed ends).

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 6.55.22 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 6.55.52 AM.jpg

I guess what I'm offering is that it's very hard to tell from photos and the only way to know is to get in there with a screwdriver or awl and dig and poke and prod... Good luck!

markmark9000

Thanks for the feedback and photos. You're right, it's always tough to get a true gauge of rust damage without getting under it and really digging in. What are you planning on doing to contain the rust on your rig? POR 15 or the like?

I'm torn on this smb b/c it's exactly what I want but in a different state so would be costly to fly there for the sole purpose of inspecting it. ahhhh!! Hmm do I role the dice and make an offer?

Rando

Explorer
Looking at those photos, I would avoid this vehicle unless it is a screaming deal and all you can afford. The rust doesn't look horrendous, but it is certainly significant, and it will haunt you for however long you own this vehicle. Not only will you have to deal with the rust, it will make any sort of work on the vehicle much more difficult. The other thing to consider if you don't plan to keep this for a long time is what potential buyers are going to think when you go to sell it. Particularly if you try and sell it in the West where folks don't expect to see rust on vehicles the first reaction most folks will have is RUN! I would wait for a better example to come along.

markmark9000

Yea I think I'm really trying to talk myself into this one. A little bit more about the rig itself: It's a 2002 v10 eb50 49k miles, electric ph, aluminess front and rear, 2 x 100w solar panels, fresh water, propane heater and hot water heater. Along with a lot of upgrades and replacement parts. Interior is immaculate. asking price is 59,500 which seems pretty high. I could justify this price if there was no rust but dealing w/ it all could potentially cost $10k +. The equipment of the van is exactly what I'm looking for though but I think you guys are right to avoid this due to the rust. dang :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles